Hide
4 Posts

Pariah Missouri (fan expansion to T.I.M.E Stories)» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Fundamentally Flawed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Poole
msg tools
I downloaded this, printed it out, and cut it.

The art is cool, the story is at least appealing on the surface, and the characters have interesting quirks. This is why I gave it a 2.

Beyond that, the game has glaring mechanical issues: there are straight up errors that prevent the game from being played to completion through certain paths. The game also uses darn near almost every state in the game. Even with keeping careful notes, we were overwhelmed. There are also a large number of locations, which combined with the extremely long time loops, resulted in everything blurring together rather than remaining distinct. There are tons of optional paths but the main path is almost entirely obscured. And the day/night mechanic is not really explained.

As a fanmade adventure, I wouldn't complain too much, but if I had contributed money to getting this thing made, I'd be fairly disappointed.

Bottom line: only play it if you're willing to overlook gaping deficiencies in design because you really, really love TIME Stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
As a fanmade adventure, I wouldn't complain too much, but if I had contributed money to getting this thing made, I'd be fairly disappointed

This comment resonated with me. My playgroup enjoys TIME Stories and like playing fan made scenarios. We do overlook errors as the fan adventures we play are free. We do pay for and enjoy the official ones, too.

We would pay reasonable prices for fan created content, but would have a similar expectation of quality as with an expansion we PAY for from Space Cowboys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvet Veltkamp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Scott, the rating is important because it takes a lot of effort to get the final version of this scenario and of course even more effort, paper and ink to print it. If the result is a disappointing gaming experience I think it's justified to give a low rating so others know what to expect. Our group enjoyed the (FREE!) fan made scenario Switching Gears tremendously, even more than the official ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schelter
Canada
Bracebridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosCreature wrote:
@Scott, the rating is important because it takes a lot of effort to get the final version of this scenario...

Of course! I am not arguing against low ratings. I am arguing that if I am paying for content, I expect a high quality product.

Never having played this scenario, I have not rated it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.