Hide
9 Posts

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Cataclysm Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Playing time 90 mins ??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bradley
msg tools
...well we just finished a game that took 29 hours ! That's one case of red bull, 2x KFC, 2x pizza, countless pints of coffee, 6 mint Aero's, 12 toilet breaks, 6 "Jesus is this ever going to end", one Father Ted break and hours upon hours of arguing semantics.

Not sure the 90 mins a game holds water as technically a game of Talisman can go on forever if nobody commits to the goal.

I wonder what the world record is and if my group just beat it lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
Well, we always calculate around 45 minutes per player - so I guess you had a really huge group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is like reading a story about a 5k race that went on for 9 days because most of the runners set up tents and had a quaint little camp out and nobody committed to the goal.

But seriously, how is that even possible? How long does it take you to roll a die and then draw a card and see what happens?

If the players are actually playing to win, it is entirely possible for a game of Talisman last 90 minutes or less. If you don't need to stop and read every single space on the board before deciding where to move, I would even say "likely" instead of "possible".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bradley
msg tools
One of My group took about 20 mins on each of her turns by micromanaging, reading every single card she had and every single space her die roll could have taken her. My group has a lot of patience and we are constantly stealing Talismans from each other thus preventing a possible race for goal. We even started to use different coloured m&m's as strength/craft/life markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I've ever completed a game in under 2hrs was with 3 players on just the original board... no corners or xpacs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't recall the last time 3-p even reached 2 hours, 75-90 min is probably the norm, under 60 min is by no means unheard of, even when playing with 6 random ending, of which one is a boss fight (12/12 stats), so people prefer to grind to about 13-14 in their main combat stat (in combat after modifiers, not raw stat).

Quick math shows the average duration in rounds (which I started keep tabs on in the most recent 30+ sessions) at 55 rounds (assuming my quick math was correct, but seems about right). Shortest games have ended in 36 rounds (3 times in the 32 or 33 plays since started counting). Taking into consideration that those three plays saw around 71 Adventure cards drawn during the game, yet since I started keeping track of the number of Adventure cards drawn in a game (man I wish I'd kept tabs on rounds since the start cry ), lowest Adventure card drawn number is 58. Say average 3 cards per round (less true toward the end when the board has cards on a lot of spaces), that's another maybe four rounds off the 36 rounds recorded. Weirdly enough, I do believe that 58 card game was done using Warlock Quests ending, completing 4 Quests in roughly 32 rounds while also levelling up enough to pass the Inner Region, things were clicking in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about 29h but:
The game takes longer the more players you have. I have no problem playing with 4 people (some people suggest 3) but with 5 I would shelf the game and play something different (maybe WizWar with expansion or Zombicide).

I sometimes introduce a movement-variant to speed things up:
On the mainboard (not catacombs etc) you can substract 1 from your movment diceroll.
If you do so you can not encounter another player (PvP, trading) and you cannot use character special abilities (to prevent giving characters a boost who could exploit with this rule).
This way you end up on places that you want to go much more often, resulting in less time to execute your gameplan.
Also of course the official variant to level up faster (5 or 6 points worth of trophies).

At some point someone has to decide to put an end to the game and go for the crown. Some groups just tend to go adventuring until the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, until the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alaska Saedelaere
msg tools
mb

I don't think we ever finished a game of Talisman with at least 4 players in 90 minutes or less, that took much longer. cool

Our record for finishing a game with 6+ players is currently 11 hours (with alternative Ending). arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Well, we always calculate around 45 minutes per player - so I guess you had a really huge group!

We calculate a minimum of 60 minutes per player (using all four corner boards). We do play with a house rule that you have to end at least one turn in each region before you can enter the Inner Region (by any means)... so that probably extends the game a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.