7 Posts

Signorie» Forums » General

Subject: peoples thoughts on refreshing the city tiles each round. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I've played this game 4 times now (all 2 player games), I really enjoy it, maybe my favourite game of the year. however, I'm unsure whether or not to carry on playing the variant where you refresh your city tiles each round, I've found it has pros and cons, if the tiles which are in the cities are not required by either player they just sit there the whole game, but if you refresh them every round it seems really random. You can't really plan which career track to move your male meeple up as the tiles are constantly changing.
We have been playing the 6 round variant, playing rounds 1-6, at the end of the 6th round, we gain the 6th and 7th round points bonus if you stay under the threshold, and the 5 money - 5vp twice, as mentioned in the variants forum. Now we've played a few games we are going to play the full 7 rounds in future games.
what are other peoples thoughts on the city tile variant?
thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stevieram wrote:
Hi, I've played this game 4 times now (all 2 player games), I really enjoy it, maybe my favourite game of the year. however, I'm unsure whether or not to carry on playing the variant where you refresh your city tiles each round, I've found it has pros and cons, if the tiles which are in the cities are not required by either player they just sit there the whole game, but if you refresh them every round it seems really random. You can't really plan which career track to move your male meeple up as the tiles are constantly changing.
We have been playing the 6 round variant, playing rounds 1-6, at the end of the 6th round, we gain the 6th and 7th round points bonus if you stay under the threshold, and the 5 money - 5vp twice, as mentioned in the variants forum. Now we've played a few games we are going to play the full 7 rounds in future games.
what are other peoples thoughts on the city tile variant?
thanks.

I would not recommend that you refresh all of the city tiles every round. That would add far too much randomness and make it impossible to plan ahead.

We played our first few 2 player games with the rules as written and ran into instances where one player was just unable to use any of the city tiles. It wasn't in the other player's interest to take the tiles, so they just sat there and clogged things up.

Since then we have always played in the following way: We mark one of the locations with a spare marker so that we both know that this city will be refreshed at the end of the round. At the end of the round, we swap out the two tiles at this location and move the extra pawn clockwise to the next location. This will now be the location that gets new tiles at the end of round 2. We just repeat this each round so that one of the locations is getting new tiles every round and we know which location it is. This way the locations will refresh, but players can still plan ahead and known what will happen. It also adds a nice timing element where you know you have to get a certain tile soon, or it will be swapped out in a certain round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing where they wipe at the end of each round. It's definitely necessary to get the old stale tiles off the board. I haven't gotten enough plays in to really see the variance affect things too much, but it makes sense.

In that case, maybe instead you should place a disc on an unpurchased tile after the first round, and if it's still there at the end of the next round, replace it? I know I'm making the suggestion above a little more complicated, but seems like thematically it should be based on how long the tile lies there vs. a specified refresh pattern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that you need to get rid of stale alliance tiles. Especially in a two player game you're stuck with tiles that no player can use and will never be removed.

We play by placing the next round's tiles directly above this round's tiles (so there are four in every city). At the end of the round we wipe the current tiles and pull down the next two. We then add 2 more above them for the round that follows. This way you can both plan for the next round and still manage to be rid of any stale tiles that no one can use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this idea is thematically great as well - the idea of having a "line of suitors" at each city is cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been a strong proponent of refreshing all of the tiles every round. I may have been the first to propose it on this forum.

It really makes the most sense, thematically: opportunities do not last forever!

As for randomness -- so what? They were random in the first place.

As for inability to plan ahead -- so much the better! This adds a delicious tension to those decisions and timing: take the option available now, or wait in hopes something better will come along next round, when I've also had the chance to "improve my standing"?

Great game. In my Top Ten since I played it at Essen 2015.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
norith wrote:
I agree that you need to get rid of stale alliance tiles. Especially in a two player game you're stuck with tiles that no player can use and will never be removed.

We play by placing next rounds tiles directly above this rounds tiles (so there are four in every city). At the end of the round we wipe the current tiles and pull down the next two. We then add 2 more above them for the round that follows. This way you can both plan for the next round and still mange to rid of stale tiles that no one can use.

Tried this variant tonight. This is the way I'll be playing it from now on. Much prefer planning for the next round, Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.