5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Star Wars X-Wing Core Sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Areskog
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Looking at getting into X-Wing and was wondering which of the core sets would be best to purchase.

I assume there are slight differences in the miniatures abilities included in each set - does one set offer 'better' miniatures than the other?

Also, am I right in hearing there is a single player variant or app?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you getting just 1 set?

One of each would be a good spread (you'll want 2 cores for more dice and templates anyways, they're pretty cheap considering you get 3 ships plus that stuff).

There's no great solo app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any time advice is asked about getting into X-Wing, the common recommendation is to get two core sets. If you like the game, you'll end up getting one of each anyway as there is unique value to be had from both.

The closet thing to a single player variant that you'll find is the fan-made "Heroes of the Aturi Cluster" campaign that has created an AI flight-system, but you'll need more ships than what just a couple core sets provide, and you'll have to print out quite a bit of stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
If you aren't going to be playing competitively, I would suggest you get the core set that appeals to you the most (era wise) and then buy additional ships that you like to enhance your experience.

If you don't care, the Force Awakens core set seems to run about $10 cheaper, at least here in the U.S, and I think the models are better looking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree with two core sets, however that isn't what I did and I'm happy with how it turned out. My point is, even with two sets you are going to be buying the following anyway.

I bought one core set and two rebel ships and one imperial ship. We played it for a week straight. We got two more imperials and one more rebel, another set of dice and picked up two acrylic template sets. That's held us for almost two years.

It really matters not what ships you get. Get ones you like. Card add one and pilot choices even out the sides and offers many changing tactics to fight with and against.

Enjoy!

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.