BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Gamers in/near Grand Rapids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Cheers, me and my wife are looking for a few people to get a regular gaming thing going with.

We're mid 30's, relaxed west coast people and are looking more for a couple people (or another couple) to get together with, than a big busy club setting.

We're into both roleplaying games, miniatures wargaming and board/card games, with a preference towards the casual over the competitive.

We're just outside of Grand Rapids and could host games or travel, whatever works.

Games we own include:
RPG;s: Old school D&D, Rolemaster, Runequest, Harn, WFRP, MERP, Burning Wheel, some White Wolf stuff (but many more played).

Board and card: Twilight struggle, ASL, War of the north, Middle Earth quest, Lord of the rings LCG, Warhammer quest card game, Blood Bowl team manager and a few others.

If any of this fits you at all, give me a holler either here or email me at runequester@gmail.com and maybe we can sort something out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in luck and I am on my phone.

Look into Out of the Box games in Wyoming, grand con, pretty sure there is a meet up group too.

I am in Greenville, work in downtown gr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am in Grand Rapids and love to play games. My wife likes to play under social circumstances. I go to Out of the Box games in Kentwood every couple Wednesdays to get a gaming fix with adults.

We aren't into RPG's and your list of games aren't ones we have played, but that's not to say we wouldn't enjoy them. I always enjoy meeting new gamers. I am going to OOTB this Wednesday night around 5:15pm and probably be there til around 9pm. You can look at my owned games list to see the kind of games we play.

They are mostly Euro style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, a full keyboard in front of me again...

Wednesday nights at Out of the Box games is a great time/place to meet gamers. As we live almost 45 minutes to the NE, my wife and I go to Excelsior in Greenville (on Thursdays) if we go to a game night.

Check out Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Grand_Rapids_Area_Boardg...

and Grand Con, which takes place in September each year.

Not sure whereabouts you are, but we have 7 kids (a built in game group) in Greenville, and our older sons have been playing around a bit with Pathfinder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Sorensen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Appreciate the suggestions (and store names, we are having to find new gaming stores too of course :-) )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
As far as stores go, Out of the Box and Gamer's Wharf seem to be the 2 most popular. On the North end of town there is Big Kids Games and Comic Signal, both of which have smaller selection, but are more then willing to help you find what you need. The guys in BKG spent 30 min with me trying to find a game locally a couple weeks ago. Don @ Comic Signal would love to help, but his main focus is Comics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vrkljan
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
My wife and I recently moved to the area from Chicago and I live about 15 minutes SW of Grand Rapids. Im really into table top games but her not so much, but she will play occasionally. Haven't really played role playing games, but I'm open to the idea. We are in our late 20s with no kids so plenty of free time for the most part. If you wanted to get a game going somewhere, shoot me a message and let me know, even if it is just to hang out at the Out of the Box game store everyone has mentioned.

Edit: I also noticed you own War of the Ring, which I have only played once due to lack of people to play with. I loved it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'd love to have you at either OOTB for open gaming! If you are in Kentwood on Wednesday nights, say hi to Mel - he'd love to meet you. Thursday night's find me in Zeeland, where we sometimes game all night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chaffer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Grand Rapids Area Boardgamers
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OOTB Kentwood also has games on Thursday nights, if that's a better location for you. I believe the wargaming group meets there every Thursday (most of your mentioned titles would be well-received), and the game design group meets there on alternating Thursdays and we always are thrilled to get any playtesters!

GRAB has a long-standing Tuesday night game session that moves between members' houses, if you would prefer that kind of setting. We tend toward the shorter family strategy games. Join the GRAB mailing list (as Paul mentioned above) to see invites when they get posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only addition is Out of the Box, Kentwood also has open gaming on Saturdays from 10am to close. The busy time seems to bein the afternoon, but a handful of gamers are prompt. Last Saturday there was nine of us and we had two games going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
JRietveld wrote:
We'd love to have you at either OOTB for open gaming! If you are in Kentwood on Wednesday nights, say hi to Mel - he'd love to meet you. Thursday night's find me in Zeeland, where we sometimes game all night...

Just don't challenge Mel to a game of Kingsburg.....Unbeatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest GRAB session report is here GRAB Regular Tuesday Gaming, 11/30/16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.