Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Hi

Just recently bought the game and after reading the rules and watching a few videos I started playing over the weekend. I played the Barbarians first and lost the first game (9 faction cards each) but then I got the hang of it and my scores were 34, 53, 74, 89, 79, and 73. I switched to the Romans and my first score was 67.

So these seem OK scores for a newbie, but I'm having a problem, which is that each time I play, the cards reduce themselves to purely mathematical formulas. All I find myself looking at is the cost to build, and ways to gain resources from the card - actions, production, deals, razing etc. At no point are any of the cards representing the actual thing depicted - a chapel, legion, pottery, forest, storehouse, woodcutter's house and so on. In fact, in my last Barbarian game, I don't think I looked at the card titles or artwork at all for the whole game.

I was hoping that this would be a small quick civ-type game, building up a small tribe into a thriving settlement but I can't get past the mechanics and into the theme. The faction cards don't jump out at me going "look at your growing settlement - now how about a sentry post or a school?" in the way I want them to.

Does it ever come alive? Do you ever get to the stage where you think "ah, a stone mason" rather than "ah, a formula for turning a particular resource into a different resource"?

TDM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to get the "alive" feeling more from 51st State Master Set. Have you tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kamin
Poland
Cracov
flag msg tools
mb
I got that feeling from the beginning of second play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hunnicutt
United States
Arden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm primarily a solo player and have experienced this problem with most games I play. I recently found that, if I narrate my actions or think out loud, I tend to be more immersed in the theme. I think this emmulates some of the table talk that helps bring the theme to the front when playing games with other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_demolished_man wrote:

Does it ever come alive? Do you ever get to the stage where you think "ah, a stone mason" rather than "ah, a formula for turning a particular resource into a different resource"?

Not really. It's very mechanical and how the cards are named/what's on the picture vs how they work is rarely connected, so no wonder you just look at the numbers after a while. But it's just that kind of a game - (largely) solo optimization. I'd say the "setting" is there, there's just no theme. You either accept it and take the game for what it is, or not. If you want thematical card games, FFG is your direction. Or, apparently, Terraforming Mars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Martystrub969 wrote:
I tend to get the "alive" feeling more from 51st State Master Set. Have you tried it?

Hi

I haven't. Looking at the video by Zee Garcia, I think it might have the same issue for me - the mechanism burying the theme. What is it about it that makes it work for you?

TDM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Kent
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
rattkin wrote:
the_demolished_man wrote:

Not really. It's very mechanical and how the cards are named/what's on the picture vs how they work is rarely connected, so no wonder you just look at the numbers after a while. But it's just that kind of a game - (largely) solo optimization. I'd say the "setting" is there, there's just no theme. You either accept it and take the game for what it is, or not. If you want thematical card games, FFG is your direction. Or, apparently, Terraforming Mars.

Ah, now that's a shame.

I was really hoping that this could be a good thematic mini-civ game. Looks like my quest is NOT at and end after all.

TDM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Innovation, oddly, works amazingly well for me as an odd abstract mini-civ game. We always end up trying to think through the history of the world where the side with Nuclear Power loses to someone still reliant on Agriculture and Philosophy, or something...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.