Mice and Mystics» Forums » General

Subject: 6 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
My kid is pretty smart. Could he handle this at the tender age of 6?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly. My 6 year old mostly likes rolling the dice. Also, there are no trucks or cars in it, so it's not really his bag like Monza or The Great Heartland Hauling Co. (we play a modified version). But, if your child enjoys fantasy roleplaying things, then it really is pretty straight forward as far as strategy and tactics. You can also modify it to make it a little easier on the surges etc, so as not to lose all the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlene Thornstrom
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing a campaign with 6 and 8 year old girls. Should be fine but some of the missions are long. If he gets bored, you can "save" the game state by taking photos of the story tracker etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

I have played many times with my 6 year old and he really likes the game.
The only problem is that the game is longer than his attention span on most days but this is easily solved by leaving the game on the table and continuing at a later time or by taking pics to save the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sledge
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah, it's definitely playable with a bright 6-year old...

Just started up with a 6 and 7 year old and another dad ( https://www.instagram.com/p/BMwFwwSDwCp/ ). The game begs for a lot of house ruling as it is, so I didn't feel bad about fudging things some times to make it more interesting. I felt it's a good way to introduce RPG's to them... encouraging them to describe what they're character was doing helped keep them engaged.

Ditto to the photographing the table-state if it runs long or if game-fatigue sets in. Hunger was our enemy... pizza midway though did the trick for our 2.5 hour first adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with my son who is a precocious 4.5 year old. I let him make his own decisions (he loves to play Collin and just search every opportunity, so I have to grind my teeth sometimes). Occasionally he just wants to take a break and build his own map and populate it with minions and the mice we aren't currently using while I play on. Then he checks in again later.

Is he playing the game? Probably not in the truest sense, but we are having fun together (and I get to play...).

I will tell you this - he has become highly motivated to learn how to read because he is tired of having to ask what the cards say. This has been a HUGE benefit. I catch him in his room working through his BOB books.

Regarding saving the game state - we record everything in a journal and will restart a tile if we fail, rather than the entire chapter. This helps address the short attention span. That being said, he will focus for a good 2 hours if we make the effort to role-play a bit.

Here he is with the cheesemaster token he earned playing Nez while rescuing Lily:

Edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
msg tools
mbmbmb
I play it with my 5yr old, with adapted rules. Make a dry run without him first, coming to grips with the rules takes some time and he will be bored if you have to check rules all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
I played with my daughter when she was 8 (she's 10 now). She enjoyed it, but by the end was pretty bored. My advice, keep things moving fast - and try to cut corners if you can to make the game move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you make each tile a mini-game. If he's still enjoying it, play another tile. Don't worry about special abilities, at least at first. Keep him as involved as possible. Avoid looking up anything rules related, just play through and figure it out later.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Shaffstall
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this with my daughter when she was 6, and often we had to stop before a chapter was finished. The board was left setup on a card table and the next morning she'd be at me to finish the chapter and go on to the next.

I handled most of the rules, but she loved rolling the dice and after a few chapters was picking up on some of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.