Support:

Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have become extremely frustrated with the geekmod functions on this site. My recent submission received this note:

"We're sorry, but your recent article was not awarded any geekgold, and has not been posted to the forum:
A few comments after 5 plays for Captain Sonar
Reasons:
40% Irrelevant
40% Poor Structure
30% Wrong Item"

Seriously.. you cannot just make this stuff up. You make a post trying to place some ideas and they get auto declined.. There was a time when I looked forward to adding relative and helpful commentary. Now it is just frustration. For the first time this site has launched I am likely going to stop my annual "donation". And yes, I have been in this site adding content and promoting since the very start.

~mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
Check out www.saskgames.com for gaming clubs, stores, and events in Saskatchewan.
mb
What were you adding that needed GeekMod Michael?
Session Report?
Review?
File?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
post it here. Get some feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted my thoughts on a game after five plays. Not a succinct review, but I wasn't exactly sure which forum to place it under.. Instead of a suggestion in the vein of "your submission would be better placed here" it just gets turfed. I just re-posted under general instead. I could care less about geek gold rewards. I just had what I consider relevant view points I wanted to share; I never thought my organization or structure was that terrible..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
A post hasn't been auto-declined. Several BGG users have considered your post and deemed it is either not appropriate for the posted forum (was it even the forum for the right game, because one of the decline reasons was "Wrong Item"), or just not good enough for "This is a good post".

Geekmodder standards are varied.

You don't need to pass geekmod when posting to the General forum.

Edit: The free-form feedback text was removed from the tools of geekmodders due to it being allegedly abused for sending rude comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Becker wrote:
Seriously.. you cannot just make this stuff up. You make a post trying to place some ideas and they get auto declined.

Nothing gets auto declined. Geekmod is done by users. And AFAIK at least 10 modders have to vote decline for an article to get rejected.

Where did you post you article? It's now here in Captain Sonar - General. The "Wrong item" votes suggest you submitted it somewhere else.

In addition, half of your post are general ramblings, but half (points 1, 3, 4, 5) are house rules. Maybe the post would fit better in the variants forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael,
I share your thoughts with reviews. I've more or less stopped writing them because the bar is so high.

I get that this site is full of long, high quality reviews hence the standard that is required to be published is high. But the thing is I will never watch a video review because I'd don't have the time, and I will only ever skim read a long review to catch the key opinions. So I tend to write shorter reviews which are just my key opinions, hence they don't get published.

My suggestion is write articles for the general forum of a game, not reviews.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you want to write a very short review, what about putting it in the comments?

If a game I'm interested in has no reviews then my next port of call is the comments section where I can read them all together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Michael Becker wrote:
I have become extremely frustrated with the geekmod functions on this site. My recent submission received this note:

"We're sorry, but your recent article was not awarded any geekgold, and has not been posted to the forum:
Reasons:
40% Irrelevant
40% Poor Structure
30% Wrong Item"

You posted in the review forum, and what you posted wasn't a review.
Sadly there's no checkbox we as geekmodders have for this (very regular) occurrence, so we just hit a couple of random checkboxes and hope you as submitter can divine our meaning from that. We used to have a textbox where we could write some helpful explanation, but that was removed due to the abuse some bad apples apparently put in there (why weren't the bad apples somehow restricted instead of taking this function away from everyone??! who can tell...)

I totally understand your frustration; the decline messages are absolutely atrocious. Blame for this should be put squarely at the inadequate and half-finished functionality we have available.

(Reviewing my geekmod log, I personally didn't decline your post, although I thought I did (the not-a-review post I had in mind turns out to have been for a different game). Still, the general concept of it probably holds.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wear
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can request a different new gallery for an image in geekmod without rejecting the image. Why can't we do the same for an article? OP's understandable frustration would have been avoided. The modders would recommend moving it to a different subforum, get that approved, and get the article approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I viewed it as a review (a little atypical but still useful, I thought) and voted to approve it.

There are many things about Geekmod that puzzle me too. For example, it is supposed to be limited to Reviews and Session reports yet regularly variants, rules questions and general posts, which I decline, are approved.

Sorry to hear you are so frustrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Category:Hostess fruit pie ads featuring
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
jhaimowitz wrote:
There are many things about Geekmod that puzzle me too. For example, it is supposed to be limited to Reviews and Session reports yet regularly variants, rules questions and general posts, which I decline, are approved.

Threads other than reviews and session reports shouldn't be auto-declined, as you can check the "this is a good post" button and send any thread to geekmod, basically saying "hey, I deserve something for this effort". Geekmod, in turn, get to decide if you do. I think some variants, helpful general posts or rules FAQs can certainly be worth GG, though I agree people should not expect payment when posting publicity threads or rules questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the post (which since has been added to and re-posed under the general forum for Captain Sonar):

We're sorry, but your recent article was not awarded any geekgold, and has not been posted to the forum:
Reasons:
40% Irrelevant
40% Poor Structure
30% Wrong Item

Here is the text of your original article:

Subject: A few comments after 5 plays
Hey everyone,

After playing Captain Sonar once and moderating the game twice in Turn Based mode and twice in Real-Time mode I have a few comments / suggestions. All games were played with the full compliment of 8 players.

Please note, this is only my observations after a couple plays so those who have much more experience with the game can feel free to chime in.

1) Once a submarine has been hit with a Torpedo the assaulting submarine crew only needs to make three quick movements (using the base map scenario) before firing a second killing blow. The movements of the sub under fire are automatically trackable. The only way to escape is to have their Silence system active and ready. Perhaps there should be a new system which allows a sub which has suffered a direct hit a non-communicated evasive manouvre? It would make the hunt portion of this end game a bit more lively.

2) This has been stated in other reviews, but the Captain's definitely need to provide clear and loud movement directions for the other Radio Operator to decipher things correctly. We used the terminology: "Crew Move (direction) now". It helped a lot.

3) To make the game a bit more challenging if a sub surfaces they can only repair the Internal Circuits or the Reactor not both.

4) We occasionally found a Captain would stop the game to launch a system and then the engineer or first mate would indicate the system was not available. As a penalty for that we made a rule as follows: If the game is stopped for a system activation and it wasn't available due to engineering or the first mate functions the submarine would immediately suffer a nuclear reactor malfunction. The engineer must cross out one nuclear symbol as a penalty.

5) To increase the function of the First Mate position and give it a bit more meaning the green system tasks of launching a drone or activating a sonar can only be initiated by the First Mate.

Hope these suggestions help spur further creation on this intriguing game.

Cheers,
Michael

Sincerely,
The BoardGameGeek Community

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend asked me today if I was ok, stating my post was somewhat aggressive and abrupt.

After thinking about things a bit more he is probably correct.

I do appreciate the Boardgamegeek Community as I have spent hundreds of hours participating on forums and game discussions.

I haven't been overly excited about a new title in quite a while. I was excited after playing Captain Sonar. I wanted to share my observations and when it went to a two day wait list and then declined it took the wind out of my sails.

It's all good. It would be good to have more consistency in the moderation process but I also understand this is being done by volunteers (or I believe it would be) and that is in itself often a thankless job.

If my post can enact some small changes that would be great. If not life will continue as it has.

~mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Category:Hostess fruit pie ads featuring
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Under the current rules, the post should have been declined since it's not a review but a set of variant rules propositions. The proper button to use in that case, as far as I can work out based on the tool tips, is "irrelevant", but this is of course far from intuitive, leaving geekmodders to press buttons more or less at random, as a_traveler said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sincerely don't mean any offense, but your post isn't in any way a review as I understand the term. It doesn't introduce the game in any way or describe how it's played.

As you say yourself, this is a post of comments and suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wey Scoggin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same thing happened to me. Except my story has an interesting twist. I posted a review on Junk Art and it didn't show pending, so I resubmitted it. It was a non traditional review and I compared it to "Stranger Things" the text was identical and I was awarded 1.6 geek gold and the other was declined for being irrelevant and poor structure. It was a little disheartening to have the decline and definitely took the wind out of my sails. I rather liked the fact that my review was non standard, but oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
weyscoggin wrote:
the text was identical and I was awarded 1.6 geek gold and the other was declined for being irrelevant and poor structure.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, your review got accepted. I would expect an identical copy to be "irrelevant", and I would consider "poor structure" being a placeholder for "duplicate", which is missing as a rejection reason for articles (only available for images). You could've easily gotten "spam" as a reason as well for the identical piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Becker wrote:
Here is the post (which since has been added to and re-posed under the general forum for Captain Sonar):

FWIW that doesn't seem at all like a Review or Session Report to me.

I agree with other commenters here that it seems more like a set of proposals for variants / house rules, so I'd expect to have seen it posted in the Variants forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smith
United States
Lake Elmo
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would suggest reading the following link to help understand the rigidity to classifications that some run into on this site.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1079768/what-personality-ty...

Where I read your post and think: boy that could lead to good discussion and would be a great contribution as a review or session report... Others seem to prioritize exactly what it is rather than the interesting discussion it could lead to.

Such is life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.