Subject: Karl vs The Unspeakable Horror rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julian Bailey
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
This is a followon from https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1677867/henrich-vs-scar... and is the second session write-up of games played using my solo rules for ATOE. The rules will be uploaded to boardgamegeek soon.

Day 1: I started by learning about the local area in the Magistrate's office before heading out to the abandoned keep. In the keep I realised that an armoury had been locked up and left, from it I recovered a musket. I had bad dreams in the night and woke up from sleep walking just as I stepped off the top of the stairs, I landed at the bottom, battered and bruised.

Day 2: I searched the keep further and found a strange book before heading back to Shadowbrook and getting seen by Doctor Manning. The town's folk are talking of strange patterns appearing in the ground at various locations.

Day 3: The day was spent searching though the windmill and surrounding area for clues, as dusk approached I headed toward the manor.

Day 4: I arrived at the manor to be met by a demonic creature with a bat like face. I killed it but was wounded badly in the process and the Hanbrook's of the Manor took me back to the doctor's. He patched me up again and left me to sleep. In the night I was attacked by a group of men dressed in red robes, but managed to fight them off.

Day 5: The day was spent exploring Shadowbrook for clues and I acquired a horse from the smith. Many more of the strange circles have been appearing in the area. I fear it is a sign that the cult of the Horror is gained power.

Day 6: I am told that much could be gained from speaking to people at the Inn on the road to the the east. On the way I was attacked by a ghastly apparition with a strangely round fanged mouth. Injured from the encounter I stagger the last half mile to the Inn where I am given a warm welcome and have a chance to recover.
It was late into the evening that we were told of Lady Hanbrook's death at the hand of an unknown assailant and that the strange circles in the ground near the old keep have changed into a swirling pattern of colour, unsettling to the eyes and mind.

Day 7: I was exploring outside the Inn when I slipped down the cliff and ended up in the water, swept to a strange mist covered isle. After an odd encounter with a moss beast and the finding of a hatchet, I settled down and bandaged up my wounds.

Day 8: I headed to the Monastery to learn of the Reverend Harding. The good brothers of the Monastery revealed to me that the reverend is actually the head of the local cultists and is trying to aid the Unspeakable Horror's progress into this world. I leave the monastery with more equipment but fear in my heart. More of the strange circles are turning into voids, the barrier between the worlds is weakening.

Day 9: I travel to the old woods where upon I am attacked by another demon, which I fight off with the aid of the militia. I learn some useful things from this encounter, firstly that Doctor Manning will aid my cause and also that the reverend's main lair is at the Manor house.

Day 10: I move onto the keep to investigate the void that exists there. The ancient evil at the heart of this mystery has a weakness that exploration of the voids will help me take advantage of.

Day 11: Another void has opened near the town hall. I rushed to explore but something went wrong, my mind is blank of the whole experience for which I should be thankful. I wake up again in the doctors office.

Day 12: The final clues to resolving this mystery have been found near the bridge to the south of town. Lord Hanbrook has agreed to aid me in the fight against evil, tomorrow we make our stand and I only pray that we are not too late.

Day 13: Today we fought the ancient evil near the Manor house. The fight was short and though I winged the demon, we had to run else be totally destroyed. Have I lost my only chance to stop this evil?

Day 14: The void at the keep is our target and another showdown takes place. I greatly wound the beast and the power of the very stones of the keep seem to protect me for a while. At last I severed it's ties to our world but before the demon vanished it lashed out with one last attack that should have destroyed me only for Lord Hanbrook to leap in the way and take the mortal blow.

Daylight returns to Shadowbrook, but for how long?

The two showdowns were a gamble. The villain had 15 health and 10 attack, I had 4 health and 8 attack plus a load of investigation.
On the first showdown I did 6 damage but would have been killed had I not discarded the monastery robes to escape.
In the second showdown I got a huge hit on the Villain by burning though a mass of investigation and had it down to 1 health, the keep's showdown special protected me from death for a turn. On the second turn I 'killed' the Villain, but took a host of hits. Lord Hanbrook however was a Selfless Martyr and took the fatal blow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bille mann
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey,
nice to read. Really waiting for the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Bailey
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
billemann wrote:
Hey,
nice to read. Really waiting for the rules!

A solo rules pdf is now in the ATOE download section.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140472/touch-evil-act...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.