Subject: Hard Braking Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
f homess

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
mbmb
Hard braking comes into play when a driver is blocked and unable to use normal brake points to stop in time. As I understand the rules, you have to spend 3 brake points before being allowed to spend tire points. At that point, you have up to 3 tire points to spend, allowing yourself to reduce your movement by up to 6 spaces before elimination.

In our races, we usually let people customize their wear point allocation, and it's relatively common for folks to configure less than 3 brake wear points. My strict reading of the rules suggests that you're then unable to ever take advantage of hard braking. Even if you start out with 3, once you use one, you would lose the ability to hard brake.

Do you handle it that way, or do you still allow up to 3 tire wear points in hard braking situations once a car has lost all of its brake wear points?

Alternately, I've thought about restricting drivers to no more tire points than brake points used or having some sliding scale related to what gear they're in. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In our league: if you do not have at least 3 brake points, you cannot use tyre points when braking to avoid collisions.
Makes brakes more valuable when configuring your car (not that anybody ever takes more than two, but that is just because we hate braking)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules, if any attribute is reduced below 1 (aside from tires), that causes you to wreck. I would say that not having enough points to do the hard braking would fall under that ruling.

that said, you can house rule it however you want. If you do remove the need to have the brakes in order to use the tires, I fear that it might just promote people to build their cars with less brakes on purpose to take advantage of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You crash, if you lose the last critical point.

Critical points consist of body. engine and suspension, not brakes or fuel/consumption/gear (many names for one stat) or tires, for that matter.

You also crash if you lose more than your remaining amount of tires.

Edit: on configuring cars with fewer brakes than 3: this is the norm where I play, it is also quite normal at the Masters tournament, hat is as old as the game.
I have seen a few players occasionally go opposite by configuring 1 or 2 tires and an enourmous amount of brakes and fuel/gear, still have to see one of those guys win a race, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f homess

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the comments.
taalmod wrote:
You crash, if you lose the last critical point.

Critical points consist of body. engine and suspension, not brakes or fuel/consumption/gear (many names for one stat) or tires, for that matter.

You also crash if you lose more than your remaining amount of tires.

I'm positive that you are eliminated if you cannot stop in time due to blocking (section 12.1 of the master rules copy I have states this). I believe the Formula D advanced rules state the same, although I don't have my copy available right now to check. The blocking situation is a case where you MUST use a certain amount of brakes/tires, so if you don't have them you're done, so it's an exception to the normal situation where you can use your last brake point and still continue.

You're correct, though, that in typical situations, fuel/gear and brakes do not cause elimination.

taalmod wrote:
Edit: on configuring cars with fewer brakes than 3: this is the norm where I play, it is also quite normal at the Masters tournament, hat is as old as the game.
I have seen a few players occasionally go opposite by configuring 1 or 2 tires and an enourmous amount of brakes and fuel/gear, still have to see one of those guys win a race, though.

I often wonder if it makes sense to go low on tires and try to drive more safely, but I haven't been able to convince myself to try it yet. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that those drivers haven't been successful, as that would be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.