Hide
3 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: What to play as training? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diego Montado
msg tools
Hi, I am studying the rules to host a game this saturday, it will be me as overlord, plus 3 friends (none of us has ever played).

I own core set, heirs of blood campaign book, and lieutenant skarn.

I seem to remember I read in this forum, that it was recommended to play first a scenario so everybody learns the game (overlord included) and get the way in which character progesses, before actually fully starting a campaig, so as not to make errors that you will later on the campaign regret.

My question is, what could I use as such a test scenario? I would not want to use any scenario from core campaign or heir of bloods so as not to spoil them, but dunno exactly what to use...

Any suggestion is greately appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first scenario of the core set campaign is intended as a tutorial, I'd play that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically any quest from the shadow rune campaign will do.

I advice you play "first blood" first, followed by another quest from the shadow rune. This should be able to fit in a single game night, depending on the amount of time spend on explaining and selecting characters. My advice would be to not dwell on this too much as it is only a test run. Consider giving yourselves 2 or 3 XP to start the second quest just so you can try stuff and become familiar with how the game plays.

You will come across a lot of rule questions and disputes. Almost everything can be found on bgg. Make sure everyone has at least read the rulebook and have the latest FAQ printed and a laptop or tablet handy to consult bgg. When starting the campaign, I advise to also make a photocopy of the quest guide and share it with your players. That way they can read the quest in advance, saving a lot of time during the game night.

Don't be too worried about spoilers. If you want to minimise it, I suggest you play "first blood" and "a fat goblin". Both of which are very simple, linear, and straightforward quests.
As far as campaigns go, Heirs of Blood is vastly superior to the Shadow Rune. For that reason, I believe it is best that you play the Shadow Rune campaign first. If you play Heirs of Blood first, the Shadow Rune may be a disappointment.

Good luck, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.