Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions from first play. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
martin andreasson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really enjoy the experience thus far. Playing the gathering and i have just put the other locations up and the parlor has just been revealed and Lita has been placed as well as the ghoul priest.
What does the "resign" action on the parlor mean? Got confused by that one. Also the text to take control of Lita confused me a bit. I get that i need to control her by making the skill test though.
Also the high priest, will he move towards my location automatically since he got the hunter ability? Does that happen right away in the enemy phase and he engage me right away when getting to the parlor if im there?

Also not sure if im doing something else wrong, but it seems now i need to get 7 clue tokens to advance the quest but the other Deck seems to movea lot quicker with the doom tokens. is that normal Or am i mistaken somehow how to place the clue tokens etc?

/Martin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resign means you quit the scenario. Thematically you run out the door screaming since you now have access to the front door in your Parlor. There is resolution text in the campaign guide for if all the surviving investigators resign.

Parley is an intelligence check as specified on the Parlor. Once you are in the Parlor and use it's action to initiate the Parley action specified on the card and you succeed only then can you take control of Lita and her card text becomes available.

Hunters that are not engaged will move directly toward the closest investigator settling ties with their Prey text if present on their card.

When you Ghoul Priest spawns he spawns in the Hallway. You need to be in the Hallway with at least one investigator to satisfy the Act advancement text. That means as soon as you advance the Act the Ghoul Priest will appear unexhausted and be in the same location as an investigator. According to the engagement rules he will engage an investigator according to it's Prey text. If he was unengaged at some point (like you evaded him in the investigation phase) then he would follow you into the parlor during the enemy phase just like any other hunter enemy.

Once the Ghoul Priest appears you have two options. Either try and get to the Parlor and Resign or Fight the Ghoul Priest and defeat it before the Agenda Deck runs out and a resolution branch is reached (usually denoted by a bold R# where # is the resolution branch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most scenarios will include a 'resign' action that allows your investigator to flee the scene without a full conclusion. Sometimes these 'resign' actions are on the act/agenda cards, other times it may be on a specific location - in this case, the parlor. Essentially, your investigator must spend an action to perform the 'resign' ability. The scenario booklet will provide flavor text describing the specifics. But remember that EACH investigator has to 'resign'. If one remains while the last agenda advances, then you resolve this text from the Agenda card.

The parlor states as long as Lita is uncontrolled (not in player's asset area) she also has the 'parley' action. An investigator in her location may spend an action to perform this parley intellect skill check. If successful, Lita becomes your ally, replacing any ally currently owned.

This scenario is designed so that the ghoul priest arrives on scene "At the end of the round" per the Act 2 card. This should provide the investigators a full round of actions to deal with the ghoul priest before he swings. If you had the ghoul priest arrive just in time for the enemy phase, then I think you missed a critical portion of the Objective on the Act 2 card

After the ghoul priest arrives, the Act 3 card shouldn't require clues - it's Objective is to simply defeat the ghoul priest. No more clues are required. Not sure where you see a requirement for 7 additional clues (shrug).

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Petersen
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
The 7 is on the agenda card for 2A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Deich
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a question about what happens to Lita, does she go in your deck as an ally or does she become an ally you can add as a card slot or is she just scenario specific.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
She only goes in your deck if you are explicitly instructed to add her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen

League City
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Martin. Glad you are enjoying the game. The clue tokens go on your investigators. They are only consumed when you meet the objective or Act deck requirements if no objective is listed. These officially are consumed as a "lighting" trigger and don't consume an action but do require a timing window that you choose when to trigger during your turn.

Navigating through your comments prompted me to suggest this. I hope it helps.

Additionally it's no small timing to ensure you are only smashing the barrier at the end of an investigators turn. Has significantly game play consequences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
Additionally it's no small timing to ensure you are only smashing the barrier at the end of an investigators turn. Has significantly game play consequences.

Don't have the cards in front of me, but I'm fairly sure you can't break the barrier at the end of a turn, rather it has to be at the end of a round - between upkeep and the next mythos phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dom
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh damn. I must have not read this thouroughly enough. I always (2 times ^^) played it that the Ghoul Priests comes right after the "Player Round" - which means that he takes a full swing right at my face . This should make things a bit easier now.

I am also not sure if not all of the investigator as a group have to stay at the hallway or if its only need to be one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
domo_pingu wrote:
I am also not sure if not all of the investigator as a group have to stay at the hallway or if its only need to be one

The investigators who are, as a group, committing clues to advance the act must be in the Hallway.

I had one game with Roland/Wendy where Wendy actually ended up with 7 of the 8 clues (Roland was too busy putting evidential documents through the shredder in the Attic). This worked out though as I was able to have Wendy enter the Hallway on her own and pop the Act all by herself so that the Ghoul Priest spawned on her (where it would normally spawn on Roland), allowing Wendy to 1st action evade it. Typically, if trying to evade out the GP before Roland starts blasting, Wendy has to spend an action on the engage. (Obviously, this also meant though that Roland had to spend one of *his* turns moving into the Hallway before unloading his firearm, so whether it actually benefited isn't so clear.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.