Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: first time painter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan davila
United States
Texas
flag msg tools

Hello, like the post says its my first time painting started 2 weeks ago with my gf, wanted to see what you tought of them, and hear constructive criticism

A big question I read people use soft foam to store their painted minis, if I store them in their platic trais will the paint fall? I used quickshade to protect them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paint job looks pretty good. Some of the paint looks a little thick but that could be a combination of the lighting and the quality of the mini although, the minis look darn good in my set. I doesn't looked like you used a wash on them. That will bring out the detail of the model. Storing them is up to you. Paint can chip if stored where they can bang around. Foam storage is the best but gets pricey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Livett
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Painting them really makes them look great on the board.

I tend to thin all the paint I use with a little bit of water. I find the paint straight from the pots is too gloopy and covers up some of the finer details, the downside is that you take longer to get coverage.

I would certainly use a wash to sink into the creases and give some definition to the models. I use one of the strong tone washes.

I keep mine in the plastic trays and they have been fine so far, if any paint chips off you can always splash a bit of blood on that spot.

I looked at the trays but for the price of the trays I could get a couple of extra games so I decided not to worry too much about storage.

Looks good though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Guild
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, that looks really good! It's a really clean job. I agree though that you should add a wash to bring out the details. I used Vallejo brown wash on my aboms and then did a bit of highlighting, I can post a picture if you'd like.

As for storage.... I'm going to go the magnetic route. That way I don't have to spend time cutting foam core for individual spaces and things won't knock together. Everything is pretty reasonable, except for the metal sheets that will go on the bottom. I need to research all the options for that first. If anyone knows of a cheap bulk deal I would like to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Mitchell
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, that is great work for a first timer! Congrats!

I would recommend starting with a primer, white, grey or black (depending on what overall colour tone you are trying to achieve)from a brand like Vallejo or Citadel. The benefit of using primer is that primer sticks very well to plastic, and paint sticks very well to primer (this well help with paint chipping).

I would also recommend thinning out your paints. The paint straight out of the bottle is normally pretty thick. The thicker the paint that you apply, the more detail you will lose. You want your paint to flow nicely off of your brush. Too thin and it tends to make a mess, going all over. Don't worry when you apply the paint if it doesn't seem to cover it very well, most times you will need to apply it twice to get good coverage. Two (or more) thin layers will give you the colour without losing detail.
Another thing that you could try is mixing some blue/grey into the paint that you are using for the skin tone of the zombies. I normally make a decent amount of one colour, paint four zombies, add a little bluish grey, paint four more, add a little white, four more, etc. This will give your zombies some variety in flesh tones, from freshly dead, to dead for a long time!

When it comes to using quickshade, you need to pick the right tone. Too dark and you obscure detail, too light and you won't see the effect. I prefer to use the strong tone on the zombies, it adds a lot of depth to the clothes and skin, without being over the top. It gives them that dirty zombie look. Also make sure that you shake it up very well before each use as it tends to seperate when its been sitting for a while. When you are putting it on, really put on lots, as you go take a dry brush and suck up the excess on the raised portions of the mini (cheeks bones, raised clothing bits, etc.) and also dab up the places where it is pooling too thickly. I noticed in the group pic that I could see where you had used the quickshade on the fatty and it had pooled a little in the crease of his shirt by his neck, for example. When the quickshade is dry, and you have given it a hit with the matt finish to take off the gloss, go back and take the original colour you had used and just lightly add some on the raised bits to bring out more contrast. One of the weird things about painting minis, is the more contrast you have (difference between shaded and highlighted areas) the better it will look in pictures, and from a distance.

When it comes to storage, the plastic trays that the game comes with are fine. If you're travelling with them regularly then you might want to consider something more like the foam options. Honestly though, if you normally play at your house, and you are using the quickshade, they should be just fine.

Lastly, youtube is your friend! There are lots of great paint tutorials on there, and many that are specific to Z:BP. One of my favourite is Sorastro! That guy just gets it!

I hope that this helped a little bit! You're off to a great start, keep at it, and most importantly, have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Keep in mind how much time you want to spend vs the quality you want to have. A lot of people will tell you to water down your paints, do layers, etc., and while that helps with details, if your goal is simply to get color on the models so they look better on the board, than you may NOT want to water down your paints, because you'll need fewer coats.

I've done miniatures where I took 5 hours to paint, and some that took 30 minutes to paint, and while they certainly looked better up close when I took more time, I don't notice a huge difference when on the table. I've started watering down my paints less in order to take less time, and I don't do highlights much any more. Just a base color coat of paint, heavy wash, and then a matte clear coat.

I can certainly go on and on about techniques to get everything looking really fantastic up close, but nowadays I'd suggest just trying to get a whole game painted with a base coat and a wash, and then see how much time it took. If you feel like you can spend more time, than for your next game, spend more time.

Keep in mind, you can always add a highlight layer later on if you want, and do some touch ups, so the most important part at first is getting clean transitions between colors.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.