42.5% of Goal | left

Support:

JIM MCFETRIDGE
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After a few months hiatus due to playing other games, I have been able to put Operation Dauntless back on the table to continue with the tutorials. I came to a point in this tutorial where I needed to stop and ask a few questions.
Here is some background.
I set up three German Panzer units per hex, 0910 and 1010, in Fontenay and all three 5/Pz units in a woods hex, 1008, known as Parc De Boislonde. The British Royal Dragoon Guards (RDG) tank units were placed in threes in three hexes along the northern map edge.
Turn 1, Player One Action Phase: Brits move to elevation overlooking Fontenay at hexes 0906 and 1006, three units per hex. Three RDG units occupy the objective hex, 0903. Hexes 0906 and 1006 are at the edge of elevation but the woods hex (1008) blocks LOS to the three 5/Pz units occupying that hex (because even units as higher elevation cannot see into a woods hex) and also to the three Pz units in hex 1010. Only the three British RDG units in hex 0906 have LOS to the village hex occupied by three Pzs (0910).
1. According to Rule 10.6.3, the RDG tanks in 0906 can see into the village hex from higher elevation and so the three Pzs in hex 0910 are not concealed from AT Fire. However, can the Pz units in the village hex see into 0906, which is light bocage? It is my understanding that the RDG tank units remain concealed until one of them engages in AT Fire or Ranged Attack.
Assuming the Pzs in 0910 could not use AT Fire on any of the three RDG units that moved into 0906, Player One Action Phase concluded without a shot fired in anger. In the Player One Combat Phase, one RDG unit conducted AT Fire against a 6/Pz unit in 0910 but it was ineffective, mainly due to -4 DRM for range and -4 for heavy bocage/village. A 6/Pz fired back but was also ineffective. The cumulative DRMs for both sides made the ARC unproductive and so on to the German turn.
Turn 1, Player Two Action Phase: six German Pzs moved to the northeast, concealed from the British, and occupied elevated, heavy bocage hexes at 1205 and 1206, while three other Pzs moved to the woods hex at 1108. Now the Germans had the high ground. Again, the German units could see into hex 1006, occupied by three RDG units, but there was no movement trigger for the British to fire on moving tanks because the Pzs remained concealed.
Turn 1, Player Two Combat Phase: German Pzs use AT Fire on the RDG tanks but fire was ineffective. Using the ARC, the British fired back but with cumulative DRMs at -2, nothing happened. After several exchanges the Germans passed.
Turn 2, Player One Action Phase: sensing peril from the Germans’ holding of the high ground, six RDG units use blocking terrain to high tail it to village hexes 0802 and 1102. Hex 0802 is elevated. The thought behind this placement is to have the three units in 1102 conduct flanking fire on any German tanks moving toward the three RDG units in hex 0903 and support from the three RDG units in the elevated village hex at 0802. Turn 2, Player One Combat Phase: no LOS to any of the German tanks so no combat.
Turn 2, Player Two Action Phase: this is where it starts to get interesting. Six Pzs use a combination of roads and terrain to arrive at hexes 1201 and 1202 (three units each). The three Pzs moving into 1202 cause a movement trigger for ARC to commence from a RDG unit in 1102. A shootout ensues resulting in a 1-step loss to two B/RDG units and a 1-step loss to a 5/Pz unit. Three Pzs triggered ARC when moving into 1201 from an RDG unit in 1102 but for reasons explained below the Germans passed on firing back. Next, two 6/Pz units and one 8/Pz unit moved to hex 1103, triggering ARC from a RDG unit in 1102 and causing a 1-step loss to the 8/Pz. The Germans passed.
Turn 2, Player Two Combat Phase: this is where I stopped. The grainy photo below shows where the tutorial stands now.
2. Because all three RDG units in 1102 have fired as part of the ARC in the Action Phase, are they now ineligible from engaging in any ARC (AT Fire and Ranged Attack) if fired upon by German tanks using AT Fire during the Combat Phase?
3. Before commencing AT Fire, can I select and use several German units for a supporting Ranged Attack? Rule 10.3.1 allows a Ranged Attack on units contributing to the Combat, but when there are only AFVs on both sides, there is no CS because AFVs do not use the CRT according to Rule 9.3.
4. Likewise, what can the British tank units contribute for Defensive Support? Are the units that engaged in the ARC still eligible to take other actions as the non-phasing player? If so, what?
5. How are Assaults between AFVs conducted? I’ve read the rule but I am a bit confused – is it an AT Fire slugfest or can I also mix in Ranged Attacks?
Any and all feedback is welcome. This is a great game and the more I play it the more I enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Felsher
United States
Rancho Palos Verdes
CA
flag msg tools
mb
1. Units in concealing terrain (basically everything but field) are concealed to all but adjacent units unless they fire, in which case they are only visible through a frontal hexside.

2. Don't forget that after each Action AND Combat phases all units on both sides are rotated/reset. (other than indirect firing units with a fire arrow which are only reset on the phasing player's reset phase). During the Action phase, units with ARC capability (meaning they have an Anti-tank value as well as a Anti-tank Range value) can participate in the ARC an unlimited number of times, whether they have taken another action or not. Same goes for Friction Fire. During the Combat phase, however, each unit gets ONE action period. So, if during the Combat phase, a unit made a range attack, it could no longer participate in the ARC. This is why it is important to rotate each counter after taking an action. To answer your question more simply....Those units in 1102 would have been reset after the Action phase, so they CAN participate in the ARC one time per unit during the Combat phase.

3. Just to be clear, Rule 9.3 pertains to ASSAULTS only when ALL units are AFV's. During regular Combats, AFV's DO use the CRT. AT fire is not part of a regular Combat, but a singular action. If performed by a unit during the Combat Phase, that unit will be rotated, and unable to take another action, including Combat. It can defend, however. If you were to perform a Ranged attack before an AT fire attack, this would not be a supporting Ranged Attack, but just a standard Ranged Attack. Ranged attacks like this are usually used to Suppress hexes, and in some cases, you have a good chance of killing Infantry in field hexes.

4. I think this is clear, now that you know that during the Combat phase, units are rotated immediately after taking an action, and that is there ONLY action during that phase.....so if a unit engaged in the ARC it is done for that phase. In general any units can provide defensive support if they have line of sight to the hex, have a spotter (in the case of indirect fire like mortars or artillery), and are not adjacent. Adjacent units CAN provide defensive support if they are not in an enemy zone of control other than the target AND the target is in a field hex.

5. Assaults between all AFV units are pretty much an AFV slug fest until one side is dead, or one side gives up. Basically, you perform the tactical advantage procedure. If any units are left, phasing player can quit the assault. If he doesn't, than non-phasing player can give up and retreat 1 or 2 hexes away from the assaulters. The Assaulters then take the hex, and may overrun if they have any movement points left. If neither side wants to quit, then perform the Tactical Advantage again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Hope that helps. It's a little heavy at first, but eventually it clicks and sticks in the brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks to me like Bryan has answered all your questions correctly (thanks much, Bryan!) so I'll only offer a few comments.

1. Many times, the ARC will indeed be unproductive--especially in cases like this where the combatants are at range and in good cover. Note (just in case you missed it) that the DRM for Return Fire by the Panzer unit is reduced to -1 to account for the fact that the Shermans had to partly emerge from their cover to fire. This means the Panzer's net DRM is +1 (Penetration = AT-Armor= 14-8 = +6, Range = -4, Terrain = -1).

Quote:
Turn 1, Player Two Combat Phase: German Pzs use AT Fire on the RDG tanks but fire was ineffective. Using the ARC, the British fired back but with cumulative DRMs at -2, nothing happened.

Unless I'm overlooking something, the net DRM should be 0. Penetration = 10-6 = +4, Range = -2, Terrain = -2. Again, the penalty for close terrain (normally a -4) is mitigated during Return Fire (to a -2). But since you'd need to roll a 14+ it's still admittedly a long shot.

Quote:
Turn 2, Player One Action Phase: sensing peril from the Germans’ holding of the high ground, six RDG units use blocking terrain to high tail it to village hexes 0802 and 1102. Hex 0802 is elevated. The thought behind this placement is to have the three units in 1102 conduct flanking fire on any German tanks moving toward the three RDG units in hex 0903 and support from the three RDG units in the elevated village hex at 0802.

I like the way you think. It sounds like you've grasped the tactics rather well as this sounds like a solid plan.

Quote:
2. Because all three RDG units in 1102 have fired as part of the ARC in the Action Phase, are they now ineligible from engaging in any ARC (AT Fire and Ranged Attack) if fired upon by German tanks using AT Fire during the Combat Phase?

Bryan is correct in that the Germans can fire because it is a new phase. Each unit gets one attack action during the Combat Phase--even units that took an action during the Action Phase.

Regarding questions #3 and 4: Bryan is again correct, and it's worth noting that armored units attacking other armored units will normally use AT Fire against each other (either at range or as part of an Assault) rather than perform a Combat.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Have fun! Cheers,

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JIM MCFETRIDGE
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is excellent feedback. Thank you Mark and Bryan. I will keep at this tutorial and follow up if I have additional questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.