5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Date night ideas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Cotter
Canada
flag msg tools
My wife and I are going to a board game cafe for a date night on Friday, and I was hoping to get some recommendations for a good game for two players.

Ideally, I was looking for a game that's quick to learn (since we'll be playing at a cafe), but not a micro game (because I'd rather play one game for a few hours), and with a strong theme.

Any recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, tricky request to fulfill... most of the games in my collection that are quick to learn are on the shorter side or lack theme (abstract). I'm sure others will have some suggestions, but I'll offer some that might work for you...

Five Tribes - I feel this one was fairly easy to learn (you will probably want to read the rule book before hand though), definitely fun; I have only ever played with 2 and it works well IMO. A decent amount of theme, pretty to look at.

Carcassonne - Quick to learn, works pretty well with two, some theme (likely you have already played this though).

San Juan (second edition) - Quick to learn, great with two, not a ton of theme, but not completely abstract either.

Imhotep - Haven't played, but have watched video for this one and it seems like it might work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition. It's the absolute best "date night" game I've played. How can you resist a game about making wine in Italy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 for San Juan. Portable, strategic, and cards can be shifted around easily enough on a table.

Although I like Five Tribes, it could take up a lot of space with all the tiles, cards, coins, and meeples.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is also good and doesn't have as much a footprint as its big brother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
flag msg tools
Shakespeare is my favourite game to play with my girlfriend. We both love it and it's really not hard to learn at all. I taught it to my cousin in about 10 minutes and it'll last you about an hour or so. Stone Age is a game we both enjoy as well. And one last go to for us is Pandemic: The Cure. Enjoy your date!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.