Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bower
United States
Springfied
Illinois
flag msg tools
So with colonies...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When you conquer a colony, is it active already? What happens to the owner's province token? DO you have to leave one of your own to make it active?

and are you allowed to have the same upgrade twice on 1 ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
It's returned.
Yes.
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bower
United States
Springfied
Illinois
flag msg tools
If you have to leave a token to keep it active, and you don't then what happens to any structures and goods on it? Are they just lost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuggaloNinja wrote:
If you have to leave a token to keep it active, and you don't then what happens to any structures and goods on it? Are they just lost?

Good question. My guess is that
(Box 4 spoiler)
since the colony becomes inactive, it's turned face down, and no longer has a build site. I would think that the structure would be returned to the supply, exhausted (as if it had been destroyed).

But that's just a guess; I don't see any rules specifying that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 11: Running out of Enmity
If an action would require more enmity tokens than you have available to spend, you may not take that action. If, through an unplanned course of events, you are required to spend an enmity token you do not have, instead lose 1 glory per enmity token you cannot spend.

Province tokens are the other side of the enmity tokens, so I'd have to say that the same rules apply; either you may not conquer the colony, or you take a 1 glory penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
razordaze wrote:
Page 11: Running out of Enmity
If an action would require more enmity tokens than you have available to spend, you may not take that action. If, through an unplanned course of events, you are required to spend an enmity token you do not have, instead lose 1 glory per enmity token you cannot spend.

Province tokens are the other side of the enmity tokens, so I'd have to say that the same rules apply; either you may not conquer the colony, or you take a 1 glory penalty.

I disagree with the above.
While they do share the same physical component, one side is an "enmity token", and the other is a "colony marker". When you build a colony, you can choose to make it active or inactive "in case that you have no more province markers", and while the conquest rules don't spell out how the activation marker is handled, I would think that the same logic would apply.

Actually, it's possible that the colony is intended to continue to use the same activation marker (the original owner's). Control would still be clear, and based on possession of the card. This seems a bit odd, but it would explain the lack of specific mention of the marker in the conquest rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, that does seem odd. Especially in light of rule 8:
"Activate Colonies
Starting with the astrolabe holder and going clockwise, players may activate colonies they control. The cost is 6 gold for each colony you activate. When activating a colony, place a province marker on that colony's island on the game board. The colony is now active. Adjust your glory marker to reflect the glory printed on the colony card." (emphasis added)

That wording (and omission of any reference to usage of the province marker anywhere else) suggests that the activation event and coincidental placement of the province marker grant non-transferable glory equal to the amount on colony card.

If you want to play that way, that's fine.

As an alternative, I'd think it far less strange to simply follow the same guidelines for spending requirements / limits for enmity, by virtue of province markers and enmity tokens being same physical component.

Therefore,
upon raiding a colony without suffering damage, you may place enmity tokens on the island's defense, and replace the defender's province marker on the island. If you do so, take possession of the colony, and transfer all glory granted by the colony and associated assets from the defender to the new governor.

If you can't afford to pay the combined enmity & province marker cost to conquer, then you've still succeeded at a colony raid, and may place enmity on any colony site you can afford to plunder, or decline to place any enmity, and forfeit all glory for the endeavor.

An official ruling would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.