5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for new games to play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Lachmann
msg tools
new user
My friends and I have recently really gotten into playing board games and other games in general. This all started when a friend brought over Catan and we all really enjoyed playing a more strategy involved game than what we were used to as kids. We have began purchasing many games including Betrayal at House on the Hill, Star Wars Rebellion, Sheriff of Nottingham, Catan, Blood Rage, One Night Werewolf, and Resistance. We are looking to continue to expand our list of board games and would like some help determining which games to buy.

Games we are interested in
Arkham or Eldritch Horror
Seafall
Carcassone
Scythe
Dead of Winter: Cross Roads
Pandemic Legacy 1(blue)
Great Western Trail
Galaxy Trucker
King of New York or Tokoyo
Lords of Waterdeep
Terra Mystica
Five Tribes
T.I.M.E Stories
Roll for the Galaxy

I am currently looking for a game for about 35 dollars or less but please don't feel restricted to the list. I am within driving distance of a Cool Stuff Games so please base]I understand some of the ones on the list are more but the list in just to give an idea in what we like and the style we like. Since we are new to the board game world we don't know all the ones that we should invest in. I would also be interested in knowing which of these games are must buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Piperni
Canada
flag msg tools
Carcassone is very light.

Scythe I've only played once with 2 people so far but it seems like it'll be good. Might be lacking a bit in player interaction though.

Dead of Winter was the first game I played that blew me away and got me into all this madness. If you're getting any, get this.

Pandemic Legacy was pretty cool but after your 12-24 games (probably about 15) it'll be good for the garbage. Also, the colour of the box doesn't matter. Same will go for Seafall but I've never played that one.

Five Tribes is alright, I was a little under whelmed to be honest though.

T.I.M.E. Stories I've never played but it's kind of like a legacy game in the sense that you won't play it again really.. You'll have to keep buying the expansions which will get costly.

Look into these though they may not hit the price range -
Cry Havoc
Cyclades
Kemet
Stone Age
Defenders of the Realm
The Others
The Voyages of Marco Polo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fry
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
-Arkham horror isn't much of a game as others. It's more like a horrifying clockwork mechanism that does what it wants and you're along for the ride. It's a cool story telling device and is really interesting if you enjoy seeing a bunch of mechanics working together, but the rules are THICK and I would probably recommend it as a later game to purchase. Eldritch horror takes place on a world scale as opposed to the town scale of arkham horror. It feels more like a board game than arkham horror which feels similar to an RPG. The rules are streamlined and you have more interaction but it is still thick and has some of the "just along for the ride" feel that arkham does. If you've played pandemic you can think of it like a horror based pandemic where only bad things happen and you're trying to figure out how to not die.

-Seafall has gotten somewhat mixed reviews and seems to have a very very slow start. I would probably recommend pandemic legacy over it at this moment since that is universally loved.

-A lot of people like carcassone but I personally find it kind of meh. I think it's age shows and their are better implementations of the tile placement mechanic these days. Maybe castles of mad king ludwig.

-Scythe is a great game with amazing art, but it's important to not go into it expecting a game with fighting like bloodrage as the theme would imply. It's much more of a worker placement euro with some occasional player interaction. So I would recommend it highly as long as you know what you're getting.

-Dead of winter is pretty good, but I prefer other coop/traitor games but I know I'm in the minority there. To me, the actual strategy of the game is a little thin, and since you don't always have a traitor, the suspicion part of it doesn't really have much pull for me. I would rather play a strategy coop if I'm feeling up for that or the resistance if I want a traitor game.

-already recommended pandemic legacy

-haven't played great western trail, galaxy trucker or king of tokyo

-lords of waterdeep is a good entry game that pretty much everyone enjoys (get the skullport expansion if you're going to get it though!), it isn't the most deep game ever but that's good when you're starting out.

-I really love terra mystica. It gives me a similar feeling to castles of burgundy which is that you have a ton of options in each turn and if you choose them right you can combo them together in a chain of awesome victories. Really satisfying, but extremely light on theme if that's your thing.

-I'd highly recommend five tribes. Easy to learn with streamlined rules but in depth strategy, a nice theme, reasonable play time, and a decent price. A really nice middle of the road game if you want something that is a safe choice.

-Time stories I personally really enjoy, it's incredibly unique, has beautiful art, and interesting stories. Once again it's pretty close to an RPG but without all the stat keeping. The actual gameplay isn't very heavy, it's more like a choose your own adventure game but it's really successful at that. An important thing to keep in mind is you will probably only play each scenario once, or maybe twice if you want to show it to your friends. At $50 for the base game with one scenario and $20 for each additional scenario, the price is relatively high for a 2-4 hour play experience that you arent likely to play more than twice. If you're ok with that though, I personally really enjoy it for what it is.

Lightning239 wrote:
My friends and I have recently really gotten into playing board games and other games in general. This all started when a friend brought over Catan and we all really enjoyed playing a more strategy involved game than what we were used to as kids. We have began purchasing many games including Betrayal at House on the Hill, Star Wars Rebellion, Sheriff of Nottingham, Catan, Blood Rage, One Night Werewolf, and Resistance. We are looking to continue to expand our list of board games and would like some help determining which games to buy.

Games we are interested in
Arkham or Eldritch Horror
Seafall
Carcassone
Scythe
Dead of Winter: Cross Roads
Pandemic Legacy 1(blue)
Great Western Trail
Galaxy Trucker
King of New York or Tokoyo
Lords of Waterdeep
Terra Mystica
Five Tribes
T.I.M.E Stories
Roll for the Galaxy

I am currently looking for a game for about 35 dollars or less but please don't feel restricted to the list. I am within driving distance of a Cool Stuff Games so please base]I understand some of the ones on the list are more but the list in just to give an idea in what we like and the style we like. Since we are new to the board game world we don't know all the ones that we should invest in. I would also be interested in knowing which of these games are must buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from the games you've played thus far and the list you have, it sounds like you enjoy player interaction. If you want to branch out to experience other types of games, you'd do well to explore some more "euro"-type games. Of your list I wold suggest Five Tribes or Lords of Waterdeep. Both are very good and respected games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Lachmann
msg tools
new user
Thank you everyone for the advice, it has been very helpful! It looks like I should definitely be getting Lords of Waterdeep and Dead of Winter for now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.