$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.5% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

myles deets
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
new user
Right now I'm looking into the "RPG type of board games" along with a "1 person verses everyone else" style board game? I'm open to all suggestions the cheaper the better. Preferably less than $100 even though I could possibly make an exception for higher priced ones. I have been searching through lists of board games that fit this criteria but the pictures of the board games along with all the pieces is intimidating and I feel I'm lacking in information to make a decision on which to choose. Strategic games are welcome to =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you are into Star Wars, but Star Wars: Imperial Assault may fit the bill. It has a good campaign with 1 vs everybody. The characters level up during the campaign based on the money they receive after each play. It also has a 1 vs 1 mode if you want to play that way too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For fantasy coop RPG, Heroes of Feonora is worth a look. It's a free PnP, so the price is right. It's mostly decks of cards to print out, plus several game boards, rule books, character sheets, and scenarios. Dice can be PnP or provide your own, as well as money, pawns, and fish tokens.

Everyone wins or loses together, but if the group wins, everyone levels up (but the best winner levels up more). If someone dies or the mission is failed, the group loses, but dying is relative. The character still lives to journey another day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on your tastes.

Battlestar Galactica is 1-2 vs many with hidden traitors, and is still one of my favourite games.

Betrayal at House on the Hill, is a horror dungeon crawler type game with a narrative style and is again 1vs many but the 1 is unknown at the start. It's a little bit of a budget Mansions of Madness, but still good in its own right.

Darkest Night is also good, adventurers defeating an (npc) necromancer, fully co-op this one. I've only played the Table-Top Simulator one (may be worth picking up TTS as you can test out a few games to see what fits - no substitute for the old kitchen/dining room table layout though

Dead of Winter is a zombie themed survival game with a lot of RPG elements, only played crossroads but there's also a longest night stand-alone game with some more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron F
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I love scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.
mbmb
If you don't mind going away from the RPG aspect some, but want to focus on one versus many then a hidden movement game may work.
Letters from Whitechapel
Specter Ops
Fury of Dracula (third edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nuns on the Run is 1 vs Many, but may not be up your alley due to the automated portion of the one at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia and expansions should be exactly what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember feeling overwhelmed at the awesome vastness of board games on this site. I highly suggest you check out some video reviewers, as that has worked wonders for me personally. The video walkthroughs let you experience how a game will feel.

There are many options for video reviewers as well, but Rahdo Runs Through... Games!, MiWi's Video Walkthroughs, Drive Thru Review - Video Reviews are some favorites of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
R3DSH1FT wrote:
I remember feeling overwhelmed at the awesome vastness of board games on this site. I highly suggest you check out some video reviewers, as that has worked wonders for me personally. The video walkthroughs let you experience how a game will feel.

There are many options for video reviewers as well, but Rahdo Runs Through... Games!, MiWi's Video Walkthroughs, Drive Thru Review - Video Reviews are some favorites of mine.

The Dice Tower reviews are also very new-gamer friendly. There are a lot of top ten lists there that you may find helpful. Lists like top 10 games every game should own, or top 100 games of all time, are very useful here. Likely every game on that list will have it's own review by the Dice Tower team where they go over a basic summary of the rules and the game's possible appeal overall.

If you ask for advice you'll get it - overwhelmingly. You're best bet is going to be to familiarize yourself with the BGG website, learn a bit about how it works and the categories, and go from there. Pair that up with the above video reviewers mentioned (all top-notch and actually enjoyable to watch) and you'll be on your way.

I still remember being new to the world of board games overall. It's like learning a new language. There are so many categories and sub-categories that it truly seems an insurmountable task to digest it all.

Find a few very popular time-tested games (Ticket to Ride, Love Letter, Catan, etc.) and begin your quest. Also note that a lot of small brick/mortar stores that carry games often times have a library of games you can try out on certain nights. That's a goo way to immerse yourself in the community, learn from peers, and play some games for free...because this hobby gets expensive fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Conder
United States
O'Fallon
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been some great suggestions. Here are few I'd add:

Car Wars gives a vehicular combat system on top of which you layer a role playing campaign.

Ogre is super tank vs defense forces. You can make it into a campaign too.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is not quite RPG and not quite one-vs-many but is on the cheaper side.

It's very light on the RPG scale but King of New York is a king of the hill type scenario with Kaiju monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles deets
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
new user
Thanks for all the suggestions. Surprisingly, I wasn't expecting this many responses. After looking at all of your suggestion and looking over the reviews.

Star Wars: Imperial Assault - looks interesting and I enjoy the 1v1 aspect since my friends and I are extremely competitive. Also all the different scenarios gave it a lot of appeal. But all the manuals make me remain hesitant. I will probably pick this up in the future but I don't think I want to start of with this.

Betrayal at House on the Hill - I looked at this one previously and after seeing that you suggested it, just confirmed that I am going to buy this.

Mansions of Madness - This looks absolutely amazing, But due to its price I'll probably wait till I get a little more comfortable with the board game scene.

Dead of Winter - I was eye balling this one before you suggested it, it looks great also. I'm still a little hesitant on it. I might buy this one on my first round of purchases.

Specter Ops - I really enjoyed this unique aspect on board games, I will probably run this by the friends first to see if they would also be interested since this looks more enjoyable with a decent sized group.

Claustrophobia - This game looks absolutely amazing. I love the entire aspect and depth of the game along with it being strategic and competitive.

Dice tower reviews - I have been mainly using them for reviews. They cover the entire aspect of the game without dragging it on.

Ogre - This game looks great but wish it had more depth and variation. I love these types of board games so if you have similar suggestions to this type I would love to hear them. I enjoy the competitive aspect, lots of tiles, and lots of variation of units/tactics. What would you call these type of board games?

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game - Looks like a fun cheap little card game, it might be worth picking up.

King of New York- looks fun and enjoyable. But I'm not sure its the type of board game I'm looking for. I will probably pick it up in the future just not yet.

The nuns on the run - also looked enjoyable.

After looking over reviews for all these board games, I really find that the tactics, tile, and miniature type of board games are more of my flavor. I enjoy the depth which gives the game more of a challenge, along with a competitive aspect to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
Then, as a new gamer who seems to enjoy some meatier games, try looking at the top lists for strategy games. Some great and popular games that seem to fit your criteria might be,

Stone Age (an med-light worker placement game). This is a classic gateway game. Not miniatures per-se, but lots of meeps and good wooden tokens. Game can be played very competitively with the right group, or lightly with a less aggressive group.

Eight Minute Empire Along with the Lost Lands expansion has some conflict to it, area control, not too long of a game.

Small World Start with the base game and add expansions as desired. This is like a smarter modern-day version of Risk.

Twilight Struggle Only a 2-player game, but arguably one of the best games ever designed. This game is a classic and still has a very strong following. The great thing is the game's rules and mechanics are easy to grasp, but getting good at it takes time.

Vinhos or The Gallerist One of the more modern classics out there.

Probably one of Uwe Rosenberg's games is a must. I'd recommend Caverna, but Agricola and le Havre complete the trio of his best work.

Tiny Epic Kingdoms is another great introductory game along the criteria you mentioned.

Lastly, Scythe. This game is brand new, but destined to be a classic. It's retail release is in a few days and it has almost all the elements of a game you're looking for. In fact, even though this is the game I have the least experience with on this list, it is easily the one I would recommend the most for you. Rodney Smith's "Watch It Played" video on this game gives you a great overview of the game and how it plays.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wizard Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not so much roll player-esque, but I watched Hyperborea on Gamenight and this looks like it my be up your alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.