Subject: First impressions. Fantastic game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OOOH Boy. Finally got this gem the other day. Was one of the lucky ones who got it from MM at the $65 cost.

Had a chance to try this tonight. Still figuring things out a bit overwhelming at first. I'm sure I made many mistakes but I think I scored a respectable 68 points. I guess that's pretty good for a first timer.

thumbsup So much to do and so much to think about.
thumbsup Love the puzzle/Tetris aspect of the game.
thumbsup The starting occupations do add some strategic aspect on how to go about yet it doesn't appear to be the all out thing to do. It just gives certain bonuses to a particular action or upgrades certain goods.
thumbsup Rules are easily grasped yet I'm sure I missed a few things. I really have to read more about Livestock and how they reproduce.
thumbsup I like the fact that you can go for storehouses and Islands
The fact that the game with trays for all those goods. And a neat map where they all go.

thumbsdown Huge footprint. Can barely fit it on my table. Granted I'm mostly playing solitaire so it's not too bad if I have and extra chair/table around so I can put the houses and storehouse cards.

Definitely a top #5 for me along with #1 Suburbia followed by Pandemic, Dead men tell no Tales, and Marvel Legendary.

Can't wait to get some time on this game. I have to work a long shift tomorrow but will likely get a chance later in the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played several games of Suburbia and I personally feel Odin has massively greater replay value and strategic variety. Plus I like the viking theme, haha. However, I haven't played the Suburbia expansion(s).

I agree it takes a lot of table space though. For solo play I have a circular table about 4 feet across and it's basically full.

Also, feel free to check out the solo challenge thread in this forum if you want to join our weekly community thingy. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
I've played several games of Suburbia and I personally feel Odin has massively greater replay value and strategic variety. Plus I like the viking theme, haha. However, I haven't played the Suburbia expansion(s).

I agree it takes a lot of table space though. For solo play I have a circular table about 4 feet across and it's basically full.

Also, feel free to check out the solo challenge thread in this forum if you want to join our weekly community thingy. whistle

I intend to get into the solo challenge no question. Suburbia is #1 at the moment only because I have had more play time with it. Feast for Oding certainly has a lot more strategic variety from what I've seen. I really like Suburbia because you don't know how the tiles synergy will go. Both have it's +s for me at the moment. granted both don't have the win/lose aspect that many crave for.

Right now it's a beat your best score with what you get. Nothing Like Terraforming Mars where you win or lose and then you want to get your best score. Not that it's a bad thing but many solitaire games or variants have the 'Beat your high score' aspect that gets a bit tedious.

Makes Terraforming Mars a game I'd like ASAP. (Nowhere in stock that I see and I won't pay $100+ for it. *cough* Amazon *cough*)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helena Hovancova
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for this write-up.
Completely agree with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SgtTenor wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:

I intend to get into the solo challenge no question. Suburbia is #1 at the moment only because I have had more play time with it. Feast for Oding certainly has a lot more strategic variety from what I've seen. I really like Suburbia because you don't know how the tiles synergy will go. Both have it's +s for me at the moment. granted both don't have the win/lose aspect that many crave for.

Right now it's a beat your best score with what you get. Nothing Like Terraforming Mars where you win or lose and then you want to get your best score. Not that it's a bad thing but many solitaire games or variants have the 'Beat your high score' aspect that gets a bit tedious.

Makes Terraforming Mars a game I'd like ASAP. (Nowhere in stock that I see and I won't pay $100+ for it. *cough* Amazon *cough*)

I have Robinson Crusoe ordered for balance. That game should have win conditions where I don't have to focus so much on beating a score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.