4,526 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
28.5% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Keith Thornhill
United States
California
flag msg tools
in my group's first playthrough, we didn't know if the hunters could work together to choose which cards to play. or if they are meant to individually select a card and hope for the best.

any clarification?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
afex wrote:
in my group's first playthrough, we didn't know if the hunters could work together to choose which cards to play. or if they are meant to individually select a card and hope for the best.

any clarification?

I don't see anything in the rules forbidding this, but there is a prohibition on showing cards and all communication must be audible to Dracula, so if a hunter says to their colleague "You play X and I'll play Y" then they will also be giving Dracula that information which is probably not a good idea.

Of course they could potentially take a Trade action prior to the fight and use the closed communication that provides to plan strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
afex wrote:

any clarification?

I don't see anything in the rules forbidding this, but there is a prohibition on showing cards and all communication must be audible to Dracula, so if a hunter says to their colleague "You play X and I'll play Y" then they will also be giving Dracula that information which is probably not a good idea.

Of course they could potentially take a Trade action prior to the fight and use the closed communication that provides to plan strategy.

We had a long discussion on this in another thread, and came to the same conclusions Dave describes. The relevant rules text is the last two bullet points of "Hidden Information" in the Rules Reference (p. 9):

†† Hunters can talk freely and disclose any information about their cards. However, Dracula must be able to hear all discussions, and any information shared among hunters must also be shared with Dracula.

†† Players participating in a trade action, or using Van Helsing’s “Leader” ability, can discuss strategies, share information, and view each other’s cards in private without Dracula hearing what is discussed or seeing what is shown.

It might be difficult to actually participate in a trade action ahead of combat. It requires a hunter to have an action available to use, which can only happen if they are already on Dracula's location (so that they don't have to use a move action to get there). If they (or Dracula) escaped a Dawn confrontation, so that there was another combat at Dusk, it would be possible.

One thing that could be done would be for one hunter to give a primer on combat basics to other hunters. These are Dracula's potential options. These are the sorts of things hunters can do: weapons, dodge, escape. You might say, "Dracula can open with STRENGTH but if we both play weapons one of them will get through." You have to let Dracula hear this if you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the reasons that I prefer Fury of Dracula as a two player game. Dracula can't hear any of the scheming unless he's a mind reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.