Hide
11 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress» Forums » General

Subject: Late backers? / Questions about Sob rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Neal
msg tools
I dont really have the money to back this right now. However I Really want to. ive followed this half way through the campaign. I love the theme this time around. Never cared for the cowboy version. But this is me. Anyway end of rant. My question is i know i can access the pledge manager if i spend 25$? But if i give 0$ right now,can I still pledge later ?

I also want to know if this game is for me. If i hate descent.Never played warrhammer quest(which people compare this game 2) but love roleplaying games. I Dm 5th d&d. And are seeking a dungeon crawl game thats fun and challenging. I dont mind getting my butt handed to me. but not like descent where I can get one shoted i think thats cheap. Is this game for me? And does this game have a STORY campaign or just random this is what we are doing this time goals?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigerstrike:

Yes, it could be for you. This is as close to boardgame RPG as you can get.
Descent is pretty different.

25 USD will get you into PM, but FFP said that pledges will probably cost more in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Curtis
United States
Prospect Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerstrike13 wrote:
I dont really have the money to back this right now. However I Really want to. ive followed this half way through the campaign. I love the theme this time around. Never cared for the cowboy version. But this is me. Anyway end of rant. My question is i know i can access the pledge manager if i spend 25$? But if i give 0$ right now,can I still pledge later ?

Minimum Pledge to get into the Pledge Manager to be able to Upgrade is $25 and the pledge levels may be more expensive in the PM for adding (likely they will be)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
tigerstrike13 wrote:
I also want to know if this game is for me. If i hate descent.Never played warrhammer quest(which people compare this game 2) but love roleplaying games. I Dm 5th d&d. And are seeking a dungeon crawl game thats fun and challenging. I dont mind getting my butt handed to me. but not like descent where I can get one shoted i think thats cheap. Is this game for me? And does this game have a STORY campaign or just random this is what we are doing this time goals?

1. As was mentioned, $25 minimum pledge is required to get you full access to the pledge manager. That being said, during a Q&A this morning, Jason (the designer) mentioned that there won't be an appreciable difference between the $25 pledge and the $100 pledge for upgrading to the full $300; if you wanted the full.

2. This is definitely a dungeon crawl that is heavy on the theme. Gameplay in the original core boxes is only moderately challenging, especially if the players are maximizing their tactics and builds. Later expansions up the game and can make it a real trick.

3. At current there is NOT a story campaign. There's HexCrawl here, a number of other fan campaigns, and the developers have talked about possibly doing campaign sets later. The game is a set of missions and you pick (or roll) for the next one; the cohesiveness of the story is up to you.

Personally, I'm an old school roleplayer and love the game. It's a great dungeon crawl that really blurs the lines between RPG and boardgame. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only do you need to pledge $25, but you also need to select the Lotus pledge, so don't just throw $25 at the project and expect to get access to the PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Allen
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jurney85 wrote:
Not only do you need to pledge $25, but you also need to select the Lotus pledge, so don't just throw $25 at the project and expect to get access to the PM.

This! make sure you back at lotus!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
If you hate decent 2nd edition with the app, you will hate this even more, it is way more random and 10 times more dice rolling. The only thing this game has in common with rpg's, is the character building. Done. So If you play a rpg game for it's stats, mechanics and bookkeeping( omg the amount of bookkeeping in this game is ridiculous), this is the perfect match for you, if you play an rpg for actually roleplaying stay as far away from this as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Banemus wrote:
If you hate decent 2nd edition with the app, you will hate this even more, it is way more random and 10 times more dice rolling. The only thing this game has in common with rpg's, is the character building. Done. So If you play a rpg game for it's stats, mechanics and bookkeeping( omg the amount of bookkeeping in this game is ridiculous), this is the perfect match for you, if you play an rpg for actually roleplaying stay as far away from this as you can.

HAHAHAHANo. I love roleplaying, and my friends love roleplaying, and we play this game because it drips with so much theme out of its very pores, the roleplaying element comes naturally. We have an absolute BLAST with roleplaying with this game. It is easily the closest we've come to a GM-less RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jef stuyck
Belgium
flag msg tools
gavindowning wrote:
Banemus wrote:

HAHAHAHANo. I love roleplaying, and my friends love roleplaying, and we play this game because it drips with so much theme out of its very pores, the roleplaying element comes naturally. We have an absolute BLAST with roleplaying with this game. It is easily the closest we've come to a GM-less RPG.

Reading texts all the time where you don't have a choice but to do a specific roll, or just rolling dice during combat without much tactical choice because most of the times you are surrounded and the amount of bookkeeping, omg. Sorry, that is not what i think roleplaying is. Might as well read a book like "name of the wind".

I'm not saying the game is bad, but this doesn't even come close to what rpging is, it is not even in the same league.
But I'm someone that hates d&d too because there are too many rules in combat so that might be on me. I just can't focus on roleplaying when i have to remember a million rules.

To attack, look at your gun for the amount of shots, then see if you roll your ranged value, then roll again for damage, but don't forget to check the monster's abilities because it might be special, ow wait no you rolled a crit, a but wait the monster still has 2 defense when crit, so lets roll for damage. Don't forget to add the damage from this card, ow and i also gave you a +1damage because you stand next to me,-1 damage because of some other card ... ... My mind is sooo busy already, let alone i have to roleplay in this amount of bookkeeping.

Anyway this is just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna G
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gavindowning wrote:
Banemus wrote:

Same for us. Most of our gaming group are RPGers and they get really into the theme and the characters they create. I just really love killing monsters and getting xp, leveling and growing my character abilities. It's fun and (a littler) addictive. We make up backstories for our characters and have a really fun time playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I dun goofed.
badge
I dun goofed.
mbmbmbmbmb

The game is definitely fun... but it's a random dice fest. I wish the gameplay was more strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.