Subject: Newbie Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
Hello

I'm new to this genre of games. I bought this game also because of the fact, that I know many of the towns in real. Also the game "Cruel Necessity" caused me to have a closer look at the games of VPG!

There are many rules you have to learn if you are new to this series. And the fact, that my english is a little bit stiff, it's not that easy. But I will get it done!! meeplemeeplemeeple

Anyway, here are my questions after my first play yesterday (I played one day - I guess more questions will follow )ninja

1) What are the benefits of leaders? I can't find them in the rulebook... modest

2) Is the dice-roll for crossing the pantoon bridge done when you move onto the "pantoon bridge marker" or afterwards?

3) Can you please give me a whole example of a combat situation? I don't know if I understand the mechanism correctly.

So, thanks for your help!
Greetings from Austria, Angie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Angie666 wrote:
1) What are the benefits of leaders? I can't find them in the rulebook...

Leaders are covered by Optional rule [16.9]. When using that rule, any attack made outside the "command span" of a friendly leader is subject to a -1 penalty. Basically, the basic effect of leaders is that they will tend to concentrate combat in specific sectors of the battlefield (you can still attack anywhere, but the efficiency of those attacks will be lessened if there isn't a leader nearby).

Angie666 wrote:
2) Is the dice-roll for crossing the pantoon bridge done when you move onto the "pantoon bridge marker" or afterwards?

The crossing roll is made when the unit moves onto the pontoon; if the unit fails to cross it gets moved back into the approach hex leading up to the bridge which often causes a big traffic jam.

Angie666 wrote:
3) Can you please give me a whole example of a combat situation? I don't know if I understand the mechanism correctly.

Combat occurs during the phasing player's Combat Phase; the phasing player is the attacker. If he has one of his units in an enemy ZOC (generally speaking, in a hex adjacent to an enemy unit) then he must attack that defending unit. To resolve the attack, compare the Combat Strengths of the Attacking unit(s) to the Defending unit(s) and, after applying modifiers for terrain, roll a die to determine the result. I recommend that you download the most recent (v4.1) version of the rules from the VPG website. There is an excellent example of a combat situation provided on page 12 (Ex.9.4.2).

Hope that helps.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
A great thanks for the quick reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Angie

What Lance said. He beat me to the punch on this one

I hope you enjoy the game and the series. VPG has ton's of great small size titles to explore

Kim Meints
Danube 20 Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.