Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Does playing with more players make the game easier or harder?
Easier
Harder
      89 answers
Poll created by Scorpion0x17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered 'Easier', but I think the correct answer is 'It depends'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The sweet spot seems to be 2-3.

4 Was pretty bad as a lot was going on. 5 Was nearly impossible. So while the game scales well, it seems to get harder the more people you add

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
After answering I realised that I wasn't sure I fully understood the premise -- is it specifically regarding players, as in plural of human beings, or is it just multiple investigators, so including solo play?

I voted easier assuming the latter (I think 'more consistent' would be how I'd couch that perspective), but if multiple brains have to be involved, I think that both adds a wrinkle (in that you lose full control over proceedings) and adds a boost (in that several brains can be on the lookout for the one combination play that gets you past an obstacle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Taking the short narrow view, I voted harder, if you say take the first core quest, BigBad is # * 5hp. With one character you can have one with the best fisting stat... you add a second character, now BigBad has 10hp and you have 1 good Fist character and one middling to mediocre... you add a 3rd character, that's 15hp and now you have 2 middling attack characters. Your party attack damage does not scale as high as the enemies hit points are scaling. Your still only capable of delivering N damage a round, before mythos phase, before other monsters spawn on top of you * number of players etc.

Im not convinced the whole Player Number * X scales well when your card pool is so limited.

Taking the long view, it will work out fine, once you have worked out the puzzle in the quest you can build accordingly and have enough cards to mitigate things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I think this game scales reasonably well. Now I think you need to build your deck differently for a large player count game. I believe the Skills for example are more useful because you have more opportunity to use them and people are always asking for assistance. Since more cards are flying out of your hand to assist each other I also feel like extra card draw is more valuable. Many cards that seem like corner case cards like Cunning Distraction or Barricade become much more useful in higher player count games. I find in lower player count games my hand is frequently full. Also in multiplayer you get the extra complexity of should we split up or stay together. Should an investigator push on in the scenario or go to assist another investigator in trouble. Whether the investigators should stick together or spread out is not a blanket policy in my experience.

Since I do think larger player count games take more planning and coordination I went with harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I did vote "easier," but I've really been playing standard as I learn how to use the different investigators and what all of the cards are. Eventually, I'll play again on hard mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Voted easier.

With 2-4 i see it as approximately the same. But it is in my opinion hardest with 1. If you get stuck noone can save you, and its harder to think that 2-4 investigators would get stuck in the same round than one investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted harder, mainly because the more treachery cards you draw, the more trouble you get into (especially in Scenario 2 where doom tokens can ramp up amazingly fast.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The decks matter more than the player count, I think.

A Roland or Skids deck made to solo will have an easy time if it.

A Roland/Daisy/Agnes trio with each deck focusing on the character's strengths will have an easy time of it.

If we're talking starter decks, I think it's easier with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game scales pretty well, and it's just cool to have a big team because I feel it lets you be more creative in deckbuilding (if you have the cards), buy the one thing that bothered me was just blowing through the encounter deck several times since it does not scale. To me the game is pretty clearly best with two, good 1-3, and I would not play it with 4 because it just gets too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen

League City
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is easy to call.

With more people you can add more boosts to skill checks. Simply walk together and dominate.

The game does not currently scale well with more players because there is no need to split up.

It would be a different story if Spawn x monsters per player at x locations. But that's not the case.

I'm okay with all this. The card pool expands & the CORE set scenario is basic intro to game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard with 1 investigator. Easiest with 2. When it's 3 and 4 players someone at the table is going to suck making it harder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
notyetsuperman wrote:
I think this is easy to call.

With more people you can add more boosts to skill checks. Simply walk together and dominate.

The game does not currently scale well with more players because there is no need to split up.

It would be a different story if Spawn x monsters per player at x locations. But that's not the case.

I'm okay with all this. The card pool expands & the CORE set scenario is basic intro to game.

Four times as many cards to throw at the tests, but you are generally making four times as many tests due to monsters or treacheries, or having to find four times as many clues.

Splitting up can be more efficient too. If you split up to cover (for example) the Attic and the Cellar separately, you avoid the extra moves and the damage from having to visit both individually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Lim
Philippines
Iloilo
Oton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i vote harder.

the more players the more "forgot the name"(treachery card that adds doom token)and also more cultist will come for more doom tokens. so you need to go faster if you want to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
You have more actions available as a pool to deal with those cultists from the encounter deck though. A cultist enemy drawn from the encounter deck (and the Mysterious Chanting treachery) always enters proceedings arm in arm with three subsequent investigator actions (curious Agnes aside).

I think the Ancient Omens card argument is perfectly legit as an accelerated 'timer' problem, though I consider it a natural balance to offset the benefits that come from increasing numbers of investigators on the board, namely being able to more consistently assist other skill checks (goals are accomplished faster as there are less failed checks) and the crowd control efficiency that comes from helpfully engaging or evading enemies out from your buddies' threat areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.