Hide
4 Posts

Middle-Earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Winning in solo games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dark yeoman
msg tools
I'm really enjoying Middle-Earth (after I got over the frustration caused by the rule book!). It is a beautiful game, and really immersive.

At the moment, I mostly play alone, and though I enjoy the game thoroughly, I don't quite know what to think of the official rules for winning. I've incorporated some Arda rules, and so playing until the deck runs out seems a bit pointless. I am also terrible at keeping track of turns, so playing for X turns does not quite work.

As I am still learning the rules, I've been playing until I've been to or used 10 to 15 locations, and then count my MP. It is a bit anti-climactic, though, as there does not seem to be a real "conclusion" to the game itself.

How do you all end your solo games of Middle-Earth? What are the victory conditions in your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play the official solo scenarios which have specific winning conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yegor Sadoshenko
Ukraine
Dniepropetrovsk
Dniepropetrovsk region
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play by the official rules, but only until the deck is exhausted once. After that I calculate the score. If it's above 20, I win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
YeGor wrote:
I play by the official rules, but only until the deck is exhausted once. After that I calculate the score. If it's above 20, I win.

Perhaps I am playing this wrongly, but I've only once not won when I count the MP. Though, as I mentioned, I have not been playing until my deck runs out, it does not seem all that hard to reach 20 MP, and that is without any valuable major or greater items (as I hardly have any). Creature Hazards I have defeated generally count for at least 10 MP, Factions for another 6 or so, and then the rest is just my company with a few items. Since you don't lose your defeated Creature Hazards, and they will only increase as the game progresses, and since losing Factions seems rather rare (I have 1 card that might cause you to discard a Faction), I'd think the only challenge would be not to lose characters to corruption or battle, but the former is not that likely if you have no major items, though the latter does happen (I lost Aragorn in my first fight, in the last game I played!).

Am I missing something, or am I playing this wrong?

As I mentioned earlier, I do love this game. I just want a more satisfying ending.

The scenario endings sound interesting. I'll look into that (though I suspect my small pool of cards might make that difficult).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.