Subject: 3DS Game suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey peeps! My wife got me a 3DS for Christmas along with Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. I'm looking to fill out the game collection. Where should I start?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3DS has a large library and lots of good stuff. It is one of my favorite consoles. I am finishing my last break for the day and won't have a chance to answer until 6:00ish pm EST, but if you can give me an idea of types of games you like I can respond with a small essay or suggestions later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Austintown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Brothers!

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few of the games I've enjoyed for the 3DS:

- Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds (a bit short compared to most Zelda games, but I liked it)
- Bravely Default (if you like JRPG style games)
- Paper Mario: Sticker Star (not as good as the original and Thousand Year Door, but it was fun enough)
- Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies and Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice (if you like that type of game)

I'll have to think about a few more, but there is a really good selection out there, both for download and on cartridges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Do you like interactive novels, mind bending plots, and escape rooms?

999, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma - in that order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestions so far! Does anyone know if it's worth getting one for my wife as well so we can play together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought one for our son.

I often play the Lego games. We have Jurassic Park and Avengers.

They are silly and fun yet still offer a challenge.

I would like to find Puzzle Kingdom again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Austintown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Good suggestions so far! Does anyone know if it's worth getting one for my wife as well so we can play together?

I think so...

...but two of my children have them, and it helps on long car rides.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your microbadges are magnificent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Hunter. I own well over a dozen 3DS games, some I've barely played 2-3 hours. This one, over 300.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Bordeaux
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like turn based RPGs and/or Strategy games there are a lot of good options. The Mario and Luigi series of games, the Pokemon games, Bravely Default and Bravely Second, the Fire Emblem series, the Shin Megami Tensei series, and the Etrian Odyssey series are all solid places to start.

Realtime/Action RPGs are another type that has wide variety to choose from. Fantasy Life, Tales of the Abyss, Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, Code of Princess, Final Fantasy Explorers, and the Yokai Watch series are fun ones.

The Professor Layton series, Pocket Card Jockey, and the Ace Attorney series are good puzzle games.

As far as action/adventure/platforming games go, Nintendo really shines with these. Donkey Kong Country games, Kirby games, Super Mario games, the Legend of Zelda series (though I would avoid Triforce Heroes), Shovel Knight, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Sonic the Hedgehog games, Chibi Robo, Yoshi's New Island, LEGO games, Rayman games, Kid Icarus Uprising, Samurai Warriors series, Cave Story, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and if you don't mind anime some Naruto and One Piece games.

There is the option for Street Fighter 4, Smash Bros., and Blazblue Continuum Shift if you want some fighting games.

Ridge Racer 3D, Sonic and All-Stars Racing transformed, and Mario Kart 7 are good choices for racing games.

For more laid back chill out game play there are Harvest Moon games, Story of Seasons games, Rune Factory 4 (though there is some action in it), the Nintendogs game, and Animal Crossing New Leaf (which just had an update adding more content to it).

If I had to personally pick a top 5 they would probably be (and not necessarily in order):

Monster Hunter Generations - Monster Hunter is one of my absolute favorite game series of all time. It is tough, requires skill, and just feels really rewarding when you take down a dragon solo after fighting it for 30 minutes. The games can be played solo, but are really designed with multiplayer in mind. Don't pick up if you don't like fast, challenging, real time combat and a decent amount of grinding the same stuff over and over to get to the next stuff.

Animal Crossing New Leaf - Being the mayor of a town full of anthropomorphic animals. Really friendly gameplay. Walk around, talk to people, do errands for them, buy furniture and wallpaper and carpet for your house which you can customize how you want, earn money to build new stuff in town and to expand your house. Go online and visit other peoples towns or have them visit yours. Real time gameplay that matches the time and day set on the 3DS system itself with seasonal and weekly events to attend. Fish, catch bugs, do gardening, etc. Don't pick up if you want a game with a well defined end goal or if you are looking for a game with really in-depth gameplay.

Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time - You have it already, so no need to go into it here.

Hyrule Warriors Legends - I am a huge fan of the Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors games and a gigantic Legend of Zelda fan, so a mashup of the two was a dream to me. Play as a large variety of characters from the Legend of Zelda series, each with their own unique set of attacks and weapons, as you mow down thousands of enemies to meet various objectives on the map. You can level up and increase the power of the characters and their weapons. There will be multiple characters on the map you can switch control between most of the time and you will need to do so to win a good chunk of levels. Don't pick up if you are against paid DLC (there is a number of characters and weapons that are paid DLC though you don't have to have any of them), don't like fast combat with over the top colors and visual effects, or if you seriously have trouble keeping an eye on a minimap while you play.

Mario Kart 7 - It is the best racing game on the console and I always like to have at least one decent (this one is great) racing game available on any system I play. Good selection of tracks to choose from, solid sound track, tight controls, and plays well both solo and multiplayer. Nothing hurts more than winning a race the entire time and being hit with a blue shell before the finish line and people blazing past you and you finishing 7th. Nothing is sweeter than having been the one that threw the blue shell. Don't pick up if you don't like racing games, if you do want a realistic racing game, and regularly losing races that you were clearly the most skilled play in, but RNG of item drops messes you over.

As far as getting a 3DS for your wife to play with you I would definitely recommend it if she is interested and you are both interested in some of the multiplayer games. Monster Hunter Generations, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart 7, Tetris Axis, Mario Party games, Fantasy Life, and the various sports games (Mario Tennis, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, etc) are all fun games to do multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful write up, thank you very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.