$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
29.3% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm back with some in the news polls:

Poll
Do you think there is a price that is just "too high" for a game, from a moral, ethical standpoint?
Not at all. It's your money, your decision.
Maybe a little. There are certain price points that just seem excessive. However I'm still disinclined to judge too much.
There are definitely some price points that are too much and I think less well of people who sell them and/or pay for them.
Absolutely. Paying (X) for a game when that money could spent on more worthwhile things is obscene.
      360 answers
Poll created by skutsch

For this poll "game system" is kinda tricky. Obviously the various miniatures, collectible and living card games count as game systems. ("You spent WHAT on Netrunner?!?") I would tend to not count expansions, however, as they are not really necessary parts of the game. Variations on theme I would definitely see as different games (i.e. All the various 18xx games I would categorize as separate games, likewise Dominion). I dunno, you're giving the answer, you decide what counts.
Poll
What is the most you have ever paid for a game / game system?
$20 or less
$21 to $40
$41 to $70
$71 to $100
$101 to $150
$151 to $200
$201 to $300
$301 to $500
$501 to $1000
$1000 to $2000
More than $2000
      336 answers
Poll created by skutsch

EDIT: If you wish, feel very free to elaborate on your reasons. And tell us what you spent all that cash on! Pictures!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rennis
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't just answer $1000-$2000 and not elaborate!
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am counting miniatures games as one purchase, some have those have pushed the ton.

But for a total stand alone (say just the rules) no miniatures, I have never spent more the £80 on any one game (ASL).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools

Please add a new option to the top poll -- "At a certain price I'll let my friend Steven buy it instead."

I hate wordy polls. The cute text that follows never matches my personal point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Please add a new option to the top poll -- "At a certain price I'll let my friend Steven buy it instead."

I hate wordy polls. The cute text that follows never matches my personal point of view.
Naughty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a VERY frugal person. I dont typically throw my money around willy–nilly and am pretty picky about even the games I pick up although I have quite a few. With that said, I backed the Shadows of Brimstone kickstarter Gold level ($1200). The reasons are my own and I dont owe it to anyone to justify why Im doing it.

I do think that paying over a million bucks for chess set could be considered excessive though, but that could be that I dont have anywhere near that kind of money so maybe my views would change if it I had $100 million dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is spending money on a legal product through legal means unethical at any price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
mesimorpa wrote:
You can't just answer $1000-$2000 and not elaborate!
ninja

Over 3 decades I've spent this much on D&D (game system). I started back in 1st edition and went all the way to 4th. I picked up the 5th edition Player's Handbook, but that's it and I'm not going to expand on that...I'm done. If I think back about all the books, dice, minis, and other game accessories, I'm sure I broke the $1000 mark.

I've also (unfortunately) spent quite a bit on Magic: The Gathering, but not nearly as much as on D&D.

For a stand alone game, personally, $100-150 would be the high point. I looked at Kingdom Death: Monster, but more out of curiosity than anything else. I was wondering what you get for $250.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in the $500-1000 range for Netrunner.

However, I think Magic: the Gathering should be excluded from this question (and did so myself) because I think a lot of the people in the "more than $2000" category for this probably have a collection or have sold a collection worth at least what they paid for it.

In fact, the last time I played M:tG, I made a specific lot purchase at one point to guard my investment during that playtime (because by that point, I'd played enough to know what would gain in price over time). I should've trusted my judgement more, because I made more return on investment from that investment than any other one I've made in my life.

If you don't throw out M:tG because of this, I think you get skewed results. I think M:tG is a unique snowflake in the sense that it's about the only game you can put that much money in and expect to retain it over time (edit: and even then, only if you know what you're doing, but I suspect most people here do). I don't even think a KDM collection is going to be worth what you paid for it 20 years from now, no matter the current hubbub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just can't grok the idea that ethics or morality have a place in a discussion regarding the price of board games, or how much one is willing to pay for a game. Now, could it be irresponsible for someone to pay $1,000 for a boardgame when they can't meet the rent payment at the end of the month? Sure, I could agree on that. But it still seems a leap to attach some inherent aspect of ethics or morality to the price point of a game, or any luxury item. You have the money, you want the game, go buy the game, end of discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I may think people are kinda nuts for spending so much on some games, but hey, its their money. I don't get spending hundreds of dollars on a football game either.

I've probably spent thousand on MtG over the years, though I sold off a lot of stuff that made a lot of the money back (while still keeping a very playable collection!).

Probably a lot of money on miniatures games as well. I love minis.

The most I've ever spent on a single game item was around $250 buying a custom-made Hilinski crokinole board as a present for Lisa. Worth every penny! It's both a lovely house decoration and a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick DeGeest
United States
Ft Pierce
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As stated, "game system" is pretty vague but I've been playing the collectible miniatures game Heroclix since 2002. I imagine just the price of 10+ years of tournament entry fees at my FLGS is close to $1000. Then add dozens of CUR sets for $30-$50 each plus the cost of hundreds of boosters as well has hundreds of singles... I'm sure I've easily cleared $2000. I'd be afraid to know the actual amount I've spent over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put 500-1000 because, well, Heroscape.

But that's pretty seat of the pants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As part of my beliefs I am ethically obligated to give 10% of my earnings back to the church of boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So... you pay a miniatures game... Get a table for it... Chairs...

In the end, are we counting those costs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I just can't grok the idea that ethics or morality have a place in a discussion regarding the price of board games, or how much one is willing to pay for a game. Now, could it be irresponsible for someone to pay $1,000 for a boardgame when they can't meet the rent payment at the end of the month? Sure, I could agree on that. But it still seems a leap to attach some inherent aspect of ethics or morality to the price point of a game, or any luxury item. You have the money, you want the game, go buy the game, end of discussion.

No, really, seriously. It's not the end of the discussion because clearly there are folks who disagree (so far 6 of them).

Just to give you one utilitarian argument: You have a moral obligation to help out your fellow humans. It's perfectly reasonable to spend certain amounts on your own pleasure, to keep you a happy and healthy human, but beyond those amounts it would be more moral to spend that money on charities that can actually save lives. And yes, a little careful research could find you specific charities that really do good work, that really don't waste their money. (Doctors without Borders, for example, has stellar ratings.) The money you spend on Kingdom Death Monster might literally save lives.

Now to be clear, I'm as much an addict as y'all, I'm not condemning anyone's game purchase, I'm just saying that to argue there is no discussion is simply not true (as another thread has shown at great length).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

No, really, seriously. It's not the end of the discussion because clearly there are folks who disagree (so far 6 of them).

Just to give you one utilitarian argument: You have a moral obligation to help out your fellow humans. It's perfectly reasonable to spend certain amounts on your own pleasure, to keep you a happy and healthy human, but beyond those amounts it would be more moral to spend that money on charities that can actually save lives. And yes, a little careful research could find you specific charities that really do good work, that really don't waste their money. (Doctors without Borders, for example, has stellar ratings.) The money you spend on Kingdom Death Monster might literally save lives.

Now to be clear, I'm as much an addict as y'all, I'm not condemning anyone's game purchase, I'm just saying that to argue there is no discussion is simply not true (as another thread has shown at great length).

Then six people don't know what the word "ethical" means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:

Then six people don't know what the word "ethical" means.

Maybe they're thinking that top price is their firstborn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a single, stand alone game I don't think I've gone over $50. Add expansions and it's probably in the $100 range. I avoid CCGs and the like so that I won't end up spending an exorbitant amount of money, but there are a few out there that tempt me.

Oh, and I just bumped that 6 up to 7. As can happen with anything, there are some price points that are just sickening. Of course people can spend their money how they want, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair......

I am not sure I will ever find the "right" game.

Not sure it exists or can even be created.

If it could, it would undoubtedly be able to be improved and expanded, or new mechanics added, which negates the argument of "right."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I'm probably in the post thousand dollar range for D&D, Magic the Gathering and ASL. Some more post than others.

For a single boardgame I think the highest I've paid money for is about $150. And that is pretty extreme. I usually won't pay over $100 for a game.

I follow a hedonistic ethos, so it would be unethical in my construct not to buy more games, even at higher values. My ethics is only bound by economics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
How is spending money on a legal product through legal means unethical at any price?
"You want me to feed my kids, stuff they I want the latest expansion to "the really expensive board game"".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I voted for "it's your money", I will acknowledge that this has indirectly affected me... people spend money on CCGs, minis, and RPG stuff, which FLGS will prioritize or only support, which means I won't be playing "regular board games" at that place, or in very limited sessions.

For me, the price points are all relative, and have been adjusting themselves on a sliding scale...
If you asked me 8 years ago, I've gladly pay $50 for a copy of Ticket To Ride or one of its "expansions". I did that numerous times, spending hundreds of $'s for other games too. I did get bit by the "bg buying bug", but I was also having game nights at least twice a week. On some occasions, 3 to 4 times a week even!

These days, I won't buy a bg unless it's 50% off or more. I'm down to gaming 1 to 3 times per month, with conventions requiring a weekend set aside to attend, while my local groups don't really split up to play games means most of my titles, combined, will only get played a few times a year since they don't play above 5p.

As far as actual spending, not sure how to go about this...
Battlestar Galactica cost me about $120 with all 3 expansions.

However, I spent about $255 on Ticket TO Ride and numerous sets, but many of those sets were standalone as opposed to expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose i really understand the use of the word "moral" in your first poll but still, it makes me pause because on the face of it, morality has zip to do with what you're asking, or at least it is to me.

Note: where's the bacon option!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethics and morals are fluid, so I guess you would have to accept the answer:

It really depends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.