Subject: Globe version of the game board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Galindo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
I've been working on a game board version that is on a globe. I'm thinking that it would be magnetic and the game pieces would stick to the globe. I divided up the board and put the territories onto it. I added a territory called 'no man's land' at the southern pole that no one can go, so it doesn't change the game at all. Any suggestions or critiques are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be misremembering, but I think the game board is meant to show only one hemisphere of Arrakis. That does not prevent you from making an entire globe of it, of course, but if you aiming for fidelity to the source material, it could be a problem. The "no man's land" you add would apply to the entire other hemisphere, if I'm remembering correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
I may be misremembering, but I think the game board is meant to show only one hemisphere of Arrakis. That does not prevent you from making an entire globe of it, of course, but if you aiming for fidelity to the source material, it could be a problem. The "no man's land" you add would apply to the entire other hemisphere, if I'm remembering correctly.

This is correct. Dune takes place entirely on the northern hemisphere of Arrakis (which is also true for the book/books). The southern hemisphere is strictly populated by Fremen (well, and worms), who even go so far as bribing the Guild not to provide pictures of that hemisphere to anyone in the books.

So a hemisphere would be sufficient and would probably make life a lot easier both for construction and game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Galindo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
that's what I thought. I think I just wanted a full globe cause it'd be cool. A half sphere would be much easier to play with. Not that any of this is remotely necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ScalpHell
France
Lestrem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea!
Perhaps the South Pole should be bigger. That's way, it could be easier to play.
Please post the rest of your projet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board only covers roughly 60°N latitude and above -- less than 7% of the entire planet -- to give the proper curvature a 12" across board would be raised about 1.5" in the middle.

Still, a spherical map would be cool...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing a globe of Mars some years ago at a children's museum and thinking it would be fun to make a globe for Arrakis for this purpose.

Glad you're doing it. The southern hemisphere should have little notations where it fades into the unknown stating, "There be wyrms here."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:
The board only covers roughly 60°N latitude and above -- less than 7% of the entire planet -- to give the proper curvature a 12" across board would be raised about 1.5" in the middle.

That sounds just practical enough to actually use...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmanning wrote:

12" radius or actually 12" diameter (one side to the other)? Because that's reeeeealy small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
rmanning wrote:

12" radius or actually 12" diameter (one side to the other)? Because that's reeeeealy small.
Diameter; but just scale it up: 12" radius needs to be raised about 3.2". Full scale at 60­°N would be about 6128 km edge to edge (6417 km over the top) with a 821 km bump (slightly smaller than Earth).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Galindo
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
a bit of an update. I created a dome version that is more accurate to the book. I used the map from the book compared with the board game maps. I determined that the map goes out to about 53°N, a little past the 60°N line that is on the book map shown. I then took the "deep desert" [formerly known as 'no man's land'] to about 45°N. I'm thinking of doing something like having the board on a lazy susan so it can spin and also having a separate lazy susan ring that has the decks of cards and 2 slots that will have the spice bank and tleilaxu tanks. Not sure where the duel board would go, maybe it will just be it's own thing, not attached.

Unfortunately, I haven't actually played the game so I'm having trouble trying to figure out how many sets of cards there are and/or which ones would need to be readily available. I've been reading all the sets of rules and looking at the various pnp sets. I currently think I'm going to use the scott set as a basis. One thing I am a bit confused about is that I know that the magazines added the ix, tleilaxu, and landsraad players, but all the board artworks only ever have 6 token slots and 6 player shields. I will have to research that a bit. I think I am going to build a print of scott's set and play the game a few times [if I can ever find people to play with] so I am a bit more confident in what really needs to be on the board.

Meanwhile, I think this version looks pretty cool, and is definitely more functional that the full globe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is a whole new level of dedication to pimping Dune!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use some magnetic material for the board and pieces and this would be really, really sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that looks really nice. And unique! There might even be a metallic bowl out there that is roughly the right shape. I tried googling for one, no luck yet.

Keep the duel board separate, many never play with it. There's a Spice Deck + discard, and Treachery deck + discard. (Example: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/531160/scotts-dune-build-pr... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You may have already seen this thread, but if you're after a list of decks and a summary of what materials are required, it might be helpful.

Of course, once you build a magnetic semi-dome map with realistic proportions, you should probably just plan on crafting all the optional play material too. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
zurn wrote:
Yeah that looks really nice. And unique! There might even be a metallic bowl out there that is roughly the right shape. I tried googling for one, no luck yet.

Google image "disc blade for cultivator". They've got iron in them so magnets will stick. There's a hole in the middle, but you can buy uncut blanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had told me that your professional tractor parts knowledge would one day directly benefit the Dune community, I would not have believed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.