$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
35.9% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

John Bailey
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
What do you guys think of the games that have come out in 2016? I have seen a few recent comments that people are saying this was an off year for board gaming. What does the BGG community think about the games that have come out so far this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigb0420 wrote:
What do you guys think of the games that have come out in 2016? I have seen a few recent comments that people are saying this was an off year for board gaming. What does the BGG community think about the games that have come out so far this year?

Depends on which cult you are a part of ;)

Cult of the Old: Everything released in the last 10 years is crap.

Cult of the 18XX: The old 18XX games are better. Wait, what was the question? What other games do you speak of?

Cult of the wargamer: Too busy playing Hundred Years War simulation in 1:10 time scale to notice any recent games.

Cult of the Kickstarter: 2017 is going to be awesome!

Cult of the New: 2016 was the best year ever! and next year will be even better! (has already sold all 2015 games after playing them exactly once each)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there will be a few stellar games, but not a lot of depth in terms of a list of great games. I'm not sure it is as bad as 2013, but it has been a rather weak year. I think the games which are sticking out to me in terms of wanting to get or have played would be Mechs vs Minions, Terraforming Mars, and Great Western Trail. I'll concede Feast of Odin and Star Wars Rebellion even if I have no desire to own them. I'll at least play Rebellion. Scythe is a wait and see so far after a play. Captain Sonar is still being determined although I think it will end up well. At least Vast and Millennium Blades were willing to push envelopes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the ones that have ended up on my wishlist from 2016:
Covert - dice placement, code breaking, mission completion, cold war spies
Via Nebula - family-friendly, pick up and deliver, "Brass lite"
Mechs vs. Minions - Cooperative, programming (like Robo Rally, but better), "inexpensive" miniatures game, semi-legacy system (10 progressive missions which can be replayed at a higher difficulty level later)

The main trends I see are:
- Games are getting more expensive.
- Kickstarter is continuing to dominate, but the best kickstarter games end up in general distribution, usually.
- Interesting new combinations of mechanics, but no ground-breakingly new mechanics recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djn1981 wrote:

Tyrants of the Underdark might be this year's poster child for this. I can not understand on any level how that retails for $70. They must have bought access to the IP in blood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Ulm and Karmaka, and liked them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, Covert pushes all the right buttons for me!
djn1981 wrote:
Mechs vs. Minions - Cooperative, programming (like Robo Rally, but better), "inexpensive" miniatures game, semi-legacy system (10 progressive missions which can be replayed at a higher difficulty level later)

- Kickstarter is continuing to dominate, but the best kickstarter games end up in general distribution, usually.
- Interesting new combinations of mechanics, but no ground-breakingly new mechanics recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Dang, Covert pushes all the right buttons for me!
djn1981 wrote:

Yeah, looks fantastic from the reviews I've watched.

Great comment from this user:

k8fin wrote:

My friend and I decided this game could be described as Ticket to Ride meets worker placement on acid. With lots of choices to be made and many ways of accomplishing goals, your noggin' will need to be engaged the whole time. Works very well as a two player game. Eager to try this with 3, and can't wait to play again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
If every year has at least ten good games it's a great year. Every year has at least ten good games. So every decade gives us a hundred great games, and so on. Every year is as good as the last one if not better. It's never worse because your top games from previous years will still be there.

Ten from Sixteen - My top 10 favorite games released in 2016

Be happy in your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe, Islebound, The Gallerist, Mechs vs. Minions and Clank! made this a great year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Ciantar
Malta
flag msg tools
mb
With Scythe and Terraforming Mars coming out this year, I would say it was a bloody good year. Not to mention another expansion for Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I am concerned, Star Wars: Rebellion, and then A Feast for Odin made this a great year!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think it was a weaker year after the very good 2015. But this is all really subjective and not all that important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the games I have played that came out in 2016

Star Wars: Rebellion
The Others
Mechs vs. Minions
Cry Havoc
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition

Rebellion was the one I liked the most.

But I liked them all except for MoM 2nd ed. Not a bad game it was just not a lot of content for that price (it is really fun to play each scenario - once). Also the miniatures was of really bad quality. Kind of bummed me out.

I also have a lot of games that I bought that I am really excited about so for me it has been a great year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really puzzles me when people try to make assessments of a year's games in toto, as if it's a reasonable exercise, or even possible to do. I can't see how anyone can make the statement that it was an "off year". Based on what sample size? Compared to which other year(s)? And comparing which games to which? For example, in terms of quality and choice, I could say it was a better year in general than, say, 2010, or 2005, or 1998 - but how useful can that statement really be?

As with last year, and the year before that, (and, in fact, every year since 1998 when I got back into boardgaming regularly), there were some games I played that I really liked, some I liked less, a few I disliked. That's all anyone who hasn't played all the games that were released can meaningfully say, since it's always going to be an entirely subjective judgement based on a necessarily comparatively small and partial selection. Aside from the impossibility of being able to afford the cash and time to acquire and play all the games released, most gamers have particular tastes, which mean they will likely end up avoiding certain groups of games. For example, I generally don't play heavily thematic games, real-time games or miniatures games, so I can't make judgements on such things. So, for me it may have seemed like a great year...perhaps for someone who plays mostly miniatures games, not so much.

I'm just not sure you're going to get a very valid response to this question...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be an off year for me every year from now on indefinitely since my gaming opportunities have gone down. For me, I'll be eyeballing more digital board games, because at least with AI opponents, I can get games played. That said, we are still getting SOME stuff in. Scythe and Orleans have been hits with me.

Oh... on that front, I'm pleased that the Xeno Invasion of Race For The Galaxy got released via Keldon's AI, and Dreamscape expansion for Ascension via iOS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.