Subject: Arcadia Quest or Dungeon Lords rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Brown
Canada
Sackville
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Hi. I am looking for a game with a dungeon type theme. I am wondering which game is more thematic? Which game has nicest components? Which is more fun? I think I am leaning toward Arcadia Quest as I feel Dungeon Lords looks a little more kid like. Would you agree?
Thanks for your help.

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DUNGEON LORDS!!!!!

Not at all Kid like.

It is a very heavy Euro with fun theme and great gameplay. I love it.

Biggest Draw back? It plays best with 4 (some would argue only with four)

I have not played Arcadia Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes, dungeon lords is definately the most adult of the two as kids can play arcadia easily but not the other. There is also dungeon petz which is made in the same world as dungeon lords - both are pretty heavy euros and very thematic.

Are you looking more for a dungeon crawl type game where you wonder around dungeons killing things or a euro game with dungeon theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Arcadia Quest fore sure. medium weight fun and a nice campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
These are two really really odd games to compare, they really have NOTHING in common at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Brown
Canada
Sackville
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
I want to buy one of these for sure. I did a few quick reviews and they seem to be similar. I'm not sure it I want a dungeon crawl or a dungeon theme. Sorry, I know that doesn't help. Bottom line is a want a fun game and they both looked like something I would like.
Thanks for the replies so far
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hiya

Are you kind of new to games and the types available? Ummm, yeah these two games are completely different as someone else mentioned which is why the confusion has happened lol. You have games where you go through dungeons, killing things sometimes, on quests etc and these are known as dungeon crawls which is kind of what arcadia is.

Then you have euros which are a completely different type of game, you don't tend to move around killing much at all and they are a little more puzzley and involve things like placing workers on certain spaces to get actions and collecting resources and so on. I don't really know how to explain what a euro is through lack of ever defining it myself lol! Maybe look up the wikipedia entry for euro games.

On the listings for these games, there are videos showing you how they are played further down the page, if you watch these, you will get a definate idea of the differences
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This might help

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Eurogame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest is fun. Dungeon Lords is accounting with a thin veneer of theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest is where you control an adventuring party to fight your opponents and monsters in a dungeon.

Dungeon Lords is where you compete with other dungeon lords for resources to build your own dungeon to fend off the NPC (non-player controlled) adventuring party.

Which one do you want to be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
I own and love Arcadia Quest. I also own and enjoy Dungeon Petz (similar-ish to Dungeon Lords I think).

Despite the quirky art and theme, Dungeon Lords is a worker placement and slightly more 'serious' and a deeper more complex game (assuming similar to Dungeon Petz). High quality components. Definitely the more grown up of the two games.

Arcadia Quest uses chibi-like figures and is more of a romp through a dungeon killing monsters, killing each other, grabbing loot, getting better weapons etc. For pure fun I don't think Arcadia Quest can be beat. Fantastic quality components including lots of minis. Colourful artwork etc.

And if you are truly looking for a dungeon crawl, I would suggest Descent 2nd Edition but it's a specific type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.