Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. Gaetz
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VPG's is so good at creating solo games although Twilight of the Gods is not.
Poll: Solo?
What do you think about solo play with Twilight of the Gods?
1. Do you think there will be a solo stretch goal?
Yes
No
Maybe
2. Do you hope there is a solo stretch goal?
Very much so
Would be nice
Not necessary
Don't care
3. Do you think it's possible to incorporate a solo experience into Twilight of the Gods?
Yes
No
Maybe
4. In my option/experience, creating a solo game option out of a game originally designed to be two or more players does produce an enjoyable solo experience.

How much do you agree with this statement?
Absolutely
Often
Sometimes
Rarely
Never
      9 answers
Poll created by Shady Bits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this game is a bit of a departure from the usual style of games from VPG. From my understanding this is a card game in the same vein as Magic the Gathering and the like. That style of game does not lend itself well to solo. In fact I would think it would be impossible to do when it comes to creating your deck and playing card combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kluwe
msg tools
Hey, Chris here, lead designer on TotG. Currently TotG is designed as a multiplayer experience like Magic/Pokemon/etc. (most frequently 2 players, but more is possible). We don't have any plans yet for any single player stuff, but I might be able to put something together similar to a chess scenario problem (if you have a certain setup of cards, what are the exact series of moves you need to make to ensure victory type thing).

No promises, since we're pretty locked in on getting everything going for the release, but if there's some downtime I'll see what I can do

-Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
World of Warcraft TCG released a handful of Dungeon Decks that were cooperative against the Dungeon deck itself instead of PvP. WotC also released a few efforts in a similar vein (though not as well received).

It's obviously not the same experience as PvP, but it's an interesting take on making a cooperative (solo) experience out of an TCG/ECG-style game.

As for multiplayer, I think a 1vMany format is more interesting than free-for-all, but I'm mainly interested in PvP, so I'm fine with them focusing on that experience.

On another note, I'd be interested to hear from Chris on what are some of his favorite TCG/ECG/LCG games (just in general, not necessarily what's inspired TotG)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kluwe
msg tools
I started with Magic when I was about 11 years old (right around Revised I believe), and played that all the way through Mirage before taking a break for a while. Came back to it later when Comamander came out and that's primarily the format I play these days when I play. I also played the WoW tcg for several expansions (up through the Onyxia and Molten Core encounters, so I absolutely know what you're talking about there). Played Netrunner for a bit, enjoyed that, played the Star Wars game by FF, didn't enjoy that quite as much, played Game of Thrones for a solid couple years, enjoyed it a lot even though every game left everyone feeling like no one really won.

The things I like about Magic are the complexity and combo potential, but I don't like getting mana screwed or watching someone else play the game while I can't do anything (which is a big reason behind why I made TotG the way it is). I always thought the resource mechanic in the WoW tcg was very elegant (if you didn't have a quest you could just put a card from your hand face down as a resource), but aside from that it was pretty straightforward. I liked the asymmetry of Netrunner and the cyberpunk setting, but I didn't play long enough to really get into the nitty gritty of hardcore deckbuilding. Star Wars I thought had some fun ideas (attacking planets, fighting off the Death Star), but I felt certain aspects really robbed a player of any chance to play the game (stacking tactics effects on cards to keep them permanently locked down was a big offender here). I like how Game of Thrones made you have to really play the other players, as well as their decks - didn't like the availability of one turn cheese decks (Baratheon, Martell) and how Deadly basically screwed up the whole game.

I also played Hearthstone fairly regularly for about a year, would normally hit rank 3-4 in a season and then stop because I didn't have the time to grind for Legendary. I liked the guaranteed resources of Hearthstone, but I REALLY dislike the amount of rng they've built into the game, as well as the inability to take any meaningful action on your opponent's turn. Hearthstone has a nice surface, but there really aren't any layers underneath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.