Popular Tags: [View All]
Wow, another stonking good VASSAL showdown with
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reprising my pitiful efforts from the previous night trying to get the supposedly fearsome SS unit across "The Line". I'll save a proper AAR for reasons that will become apparent later, but I can say that I think I did quite a bit better this time. Michael set up the tank deep up on the hill ahead of Objective 4, ignoring Objective 5 completely. I repeated my split setup with half the units and Ganz hovering by the Obj 2/3 houses and Lauerbach up by the hedge complex on the other side, I did put 3:1 on the squad split though so the main force was heading up the hill for Objective 5. A lot of early luck on my events and rolls, including a superb appearance by Dietel who rallied Ganz by giving him CPR at his dying breath, before himself being "overstacked to oblivion", gone in the blink of an eye but his efforts almost propelled the germans to victory. Another HMG and weapon team arrived, it was looking good, despite being peppered with some heavy fire from the "tank", things settled down and I began preparing my escape to victory. Michael probably made a mistake in bringing his reinforcements up around A1-2-3 instead of A8-9-10, as this left the exit exposed, Row 10 out of range of most of his units, and only the wire helping him. I retreated Lauerbach out of danger, I'd thought about using him to occupy the USA on two fronts, but with the sort of FP he was bringing from the tank it felt like it would not last long, in retrospect I wonder if I should have tried to be a bit more aggressive with those guys and tried to chip away at his entrenched position a bit.

Anyway, I put down some good smoke and even got a blaze to help a bit (though that also stopped my hill based HMG nest mowing down his reinforcements for a while), Michael defended bravely and kept me in check,but slowly and steadily I was creeping down the board edge using smoke, multiple move manoeuvres, concealment, saving recovers etc. There was then a key moment as Michael had to shuffle around some units to bring more firepower to bear on the escape line, I forget the exact manoeuvre but I accidentally "lured" him I think by taking a +2 op fire shot out in the open, and perhaps it appeared that was it but actually I had some more stashed, so when a unit moved into his kill stack I took a chance and threw in 3 more +2 cards on top of my 8 FP for a 14 and rolled an 8, for 22. Needless to say his entire kill stack was broken, one guy escaped but he didnt hold the guns!

Suddenly the germans were liberated and started to move doggedly for the exit. 7 points down with 7 exit points literally in the grasp of my fingertips, he held the IC but I had a +2 secret chit and as it turned out he had a +3 for me, so I was in even better shape than I realised.

He threw wire down to hold me up again, a time advance blew away the smoke which was covering Ganz so still he held on. He moved Buehler out f the tank with his 50 cal, switching it to Smith who could thus fire, so all of a sudden I was left on the A10 and B10 hexes having to take more last gasp fire. Somehow I survived so it just boiled down to walking off the board, Ganz plus squad for 5 points (which would have won it), and another squad for 2 who would have had to face possibly one op fire shot through 3 smoke hindrance but in any case the road movement bonus would have let him get to A10 and off, so 7 points

but all these frantic defender actions and card action led to the dreaded double sixes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OK, time is only 6, the odds are on my side, he needs 2,3,4 o r 5 to win the game with 7 VP showing (minus the 2 I knew and 3 I didnt know, so a 2 point win), or if it continues, the VP are on +2 that I know, and +5 in reality. Ganz would be back on the baseline to move up to Lauerbach who has a secure LOS to any escaping USA units, so basically it was all gravy

apart from Michael rolling a 4. Another good reason to have the IC at the right time!

Final tally, USA 2 VP, the Germans squinting through the clearing smoke, wirecutters still in hand only to look ahead and see the waves of american reinforcements on the way..... hands raised in the air, time to call it a day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A VERY tough scenario for the germans, IMO, SS might be good but time is ticking and its a long way through that wire, and that tank has some serious firepower and lots of open space to use it. I guess you could concentrate the german forces and just try to move up and take out all the americans but if Michael had reinforced A8-9-10 it would have been even less likely for me to have an escape route. From the few threads i've read it seems like Germany is a strong favourite in this, but I have obviously yet to solve the issue, so its back to the drawing board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"He moved Buehler out f the tank with his 50 cal, switching it to Smith who could thus fire,"

Interested in how he could do this?

I assume that Bueller is broken and in the tank. He has a single movement point. Therefore he cannot carry the 50 cal out of the tank. If he leaves the tank, the 50 cal goes immediately to the casualty track, it doesn't stay in the tank for Smith to climb in and man it. Can Smith fit in the tank WITH Bueller and the team? If so, then Bueller could use his one mp to transfer the weapon to Smith.

EDIT: Just realized that Bueller might have used an advance order to get out of the tank. Your use of 'moved' had me confused.

Probably I have misunderstood.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Bojack, thanks for a fun game. As I said last night, it was the first time I even saw this scenario, so I would do a lot of things differently if I could redo it.

chicklewis wrote:
I assume that Bueller is broken and in the tank.

Why do you make the assumption he is broken? As I recall it he most definitely was not, which leaves plenty of MP to leave the tank and go uphill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I forgot the specifics but I don't think he was broken was it not just to move the mg into LOS but stkkk have it able to fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
I forgot the specifics but I don't think he was broken was it not just to move the mg into LOS but stkkk have it able to fire?

He was not broken, and I moved him on the hill so he could fire. However, moving onto the hill he broke from op fire.

On a later turn I activated him to pass the weapon to the other leader on the hill. That leader then activated and fired the weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications, gents !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.