Subject: My first contact with the game (didn't go so well) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is magnificent when displayed on the table. As usual with VPG's laser-cutting, even the counter sheets are nice, from the very beginning. I took some time to properly prepare the game, found a box to store the counters, put the map under the plexiglass (a task rendered difficult because the maps are off by half a milimiter !) , and set off to read the rules rapidly to get an idea of what I was up to.

I wanted to get an impression of the game step by step : I opted to go chronologically, and started the setup for the Talentino campaign. First problem : I'm supposed to not shuffle a red-titled Event card in the deck, but on the very opposite page, it says I should. Okaaay... Another misstep was the ambiguity as to wether Bianchi was a unit counter or a leader. Quickly resolved. And I decided the red-titled card to be discarded for this time.

After reading the overviews of turns, both in the manual and the player aid, I noticed there was a little info missing : when exactly did the turn-marker advance ? It seemed obviously to take place after the Second player had finished his actions, but nonetheless, I would've loved a clear-cut mention of this. That's where I found the lack of index to be a huge problem here. At least, make an index of those first-time-showing terms that are dark-red coded !! This is beyond logic...

Strangely enough, I had to struggle a lot to locate some key informations, like what a 2/1 means on Murat's purple box, or what those colored stars are for on the map. Actually, I didn't even find my answer for Murat ! Just devoting a page to make a clearer description of the icons and components would've been great. As it is, I had to skim through the manual(s!) multiple times to try and locate those little bits of missing info. The irony being that the little green Point-of-interest flags have a mention on the map, as having NO effect on the game ! Should've used that ink for some other infos... This correlates with a clearer - but missing -description for components : I only found out what the LOC's where in the Routing section of Combat. There again, it should've been indicated earlier, on a description of the maps.

So, after that first attempt of playing, I decided to store it all back, and come to it later. I had lost way too much time in identification and pondering, and had only executed some movements so far. I didn't venture furhter than my first encounter in combat, as I couldn't determine if Murat was indeed Commanding my fighting unit or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish not Kraut!
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
I would agree that the rules for this are somewhat jumbled at times, having to scour through both exclusive rules and systems rules booklets is a pita no doubt. However, once you get into the flow of the system it works quite well. That said I have still to try Tolentino myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eawyne wrote:
...after that first attempt of playing, I decided to store it all back, and come to it later.

If you have specific questions, I'm more than happy to answer them. I typically respond to any rule questions about the Napoleonic 20 series that are posted here on BGG within 24 hours.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
sauron
What does the "20" in these 'denote'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
sauron
What does the "20" in these 'denote'?

The fact that either side never has more than 20 units under his command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.