Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Desperately attempting to never take ourselves too seriously for both our own sanity and the greater good! Enjoy our review of Power Grid: The Card Game!

Mark
Pros:
The game certainly feels like a Friese and for anyone who’s a fan of the Green Haired Wonder, then this may be right up your alley. The game is also most assuredly Power Grid Lite. It plays like Power Grid in the auction and resource grab and in the shiny new time of an hour. You purchase the power plants and judge which you’d like to go for based off of what others have purchased. The resource market is also available before the auction phase, just like in the original game, so you can plan accordingly. And much like with Power Grid there’s a helpful catch up mechanism where the first go last when purchasing the resources insuring that the lowest man on the totem pole won’t get entirely boofed. Of course the best part of the game is the length. Normal Power Grid can clock in at nearly two hours or more with a full compliment of players. In The Card Game you’re looking at a solid hour. If you want to play Power Grid but don’t have the normal time commitment for the full game, then this is your game.

Cons: Aside from the quicker play time, this game adds nothing to the original Power Grid. As a matter of fact, it takes away a vast portion of the game by nixing the board. Half of the fun of Power Grid is the board and without it, the game plays about as expected. It still feels like Power Grid, but if I’m being honest, it feels like I’m playing half a game of Power Grid then deciding to call it a night. The other glaring issue with the game is that it can, at times, be really fiddly. Of course this isn’t that big of an issue considering how fiddly big brother base game can be, but with a game that prides itself on a speedy play time, the card management can be a bit of a pain.

Summary: My expectations may have been a little higher than they should have been and that might be a little unfair on my part. I love the original Power Grid and it’s Deluxe counterpart just in case you’ve never listened to our podcast before. To take away the map seems a little short sighted. Let me put it this way. When you shop at your FLGS and you happen upon Power Grid, what do you see stacked next to the base game? Maps and more maps. There isn’t just 1 map. There are something like 9 or 10 original maps and you know your FLGS has multiples of them. The map is important enough that even the publishing company and designer have made it a point to bring out new and fresh boards. That says something about that function of the game. To take it out and sell it as a shorter game… sure. But aren’t we losing something along with the time?

Rating: Compared to Power Grid which I give a 10 I’ll give this game a 6 out of 10. It’s certainly not up to the level of the original game, but the game delivers what it promises. You get a shorter game without the board. If you’re cool with that, then try this one out.

You probably noticed the other guys absent from this review. At the recent BGG.Con I was the only one to play this game. Sten and Brian were busy play testing Techno Bowl and Lee was getting his beauty sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sten
United States
Red Oak
Texas
flag msg tools
Fly you fools!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Review,

Although I was unable to play this game, as Brian and I were locked in an epic Tech'no Bowl Battle, I did make one observation. For this to be a Card game, it sure did take up as much if not more space than the original.

This game still intrigues me and it is on my list to play for 2017.

Again, Great Review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The table was pretty full to be sure.

And you bring up another point I didn't mention. I really want to play this game again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to get a play of this in at the BGG.CON Hot Games area before they pulled it (it was replaced with Clank on Friday morning).

The one complaint I heard was regarding the rules for replenishing the fuel at the end of each round; specifically, the exact order in which fuel is moved to lower slots (I'll post my observations in the Rules forum).

The original Power Grid is one of my favorites. As for the card game, I'll give it a tentative 6.5 (until I get to play it more - it wasn't available for sale at the con).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely! That's one glaring thing I forgot to mention. I focused on the fiddliness of the cards, but the rules for where the cards go is wonky at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, if you are going to implement a card game version of a board game, MAKE A CARD GAME. This does not strike me as a card game at all. It seems like a board game that uses cards, if that makes sense. The resources are cards instead of wooden pieces. The power plants are cards, but they were cards before. This game just does not seem to play like a card game. The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game made the same mistake IMO. That, too, was not a card game. It was simple a watered down version of the board game replacing dice and tiles with cards.

San Juan is an example of how to correctly make a card game version of a board game. It maintains much of the flavor of Puerto Rico, but it actually plays like a card game. Drawing cards, managing your hand, strategic discards; all of these are elements of a card game that are found in San Juan.

From what I have seen, I have zero interest in playing Power Grid: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.