Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 Player Games for Me and My 9 Year Old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Crouch
msg tools
Newbie Here..looking for Christmas gifts.

My son (9 years) regularly (usually) beats me at these games:

Carcassonne (our favorite, using 4 expansions)
Small World (another favorite)
Castles of Mad King Ludwig (ok we have a lot of favorites)
King of Tokyo
Stratego
Risk
Ticket to Ride

So I'm looking for some 2 player suggestions, even if they seem advanced. I've seen some interesting ones online which I'd also like opinions on:

Pandemic
Tokaido
Mysterium

Again, this would all be for just the two of us most likely.

Thanks in Advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Rangel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and inexpensive deck builder would be Star Realms. My daughter regularly beats me at this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
+1 for Star Realms.

Some other 2-player games to look into:
Jaipur
Patchwork
Summoner Wars

2-player games I haven't played but have heard good things about:
7 Wonders Duel (the original game is great but not for two players; this is specifically designed as a 2-player game and by all accounts is excellent)
Star Wars Rebellion
Claustrophobia

Mysterium is great, but more fun with more players.

Pandemic is a classic, although I personally haven't gotten into it much for some reason. For a slightly less well-known co-op game, take a look at Flashpoint Fire Rescue - though I don't know how well it plays with two players, I expect that if it feels too thin at that player count, you could control multiple characters.

If you or he might like dungeon crawls with minis, you might like Mice and Mystics (co-op, kid friendly theme), Descent 2nd ed (can be played competitively or co-op with an app), or Star Wars Imperial assault (competitive). The latter two are actually one vs many, not one on one, but the "many" could again be one person controlling multiple characters. (I haven't played Descent, but have played SWIA and quite liked it - my only beef with it is the confusing/counterintuitive line of sight rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Deardeuff
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My 9yo son and I really enjoy Roll for the Galaxy. That, Snowdownia San Juan, and Mottainai are the only in-print games that we play that are not already on your list. (Good list!)

For Christmas, I'm getting him Kingdom Builder and Suburbia. I'm also eyeing to get myself/us for Christmas (or whenever) Troyes, Glass Road, Fabled Fruit, Cacao, and Fields of Green.

Here's that list again:

* Roll for the Galaxy
* Kingdom Builder
* Suburbia
* Troyes
* Glass Road
* Snowdownia
* San Juan
* Mottainai
* Fabled Fruit
* Cacao
* Fields of Green

Here are some out-of-print games we enjoy, in case you can find them on the market for a good price:

* Glen More
* Glory to Rome (Mottainai is a simpler successor)
* Fjords

Edit: For those other games you listed.

We have Pandemic; we don't play it. Once was fun, twice was not. We do play Pandemic the Cure more often, but then only occasionally.

I decided against getting Tokaido because it looked too cut-throat for two players, and a little samey after the first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Carcassonne and Castles of Mad King Ludwig, there is a very good game called Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, which is practically a mix between the two. It won the strategy board game of the year this year (the Kennerspiel des Jahres).

Mysterium is a great game, but it is not good for 2 players in my opinion, it works better with more people. Still, if you can play with more people it is awesome.

Pandemic is a very popular cooperative game, I have played it and I enjoyed it, but I didn't feel the need to go out and buy it.

Other games to play with 2 players I would suggest checking out: Specter Ops, Raptor (which is a fantastic game for only 2 players), and Patchwork.

I could list more but I figure I will keep the list short. Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Star Realms. My 8-year old son and I love it.

Pandemic and Mysterium are great too! I think Mysterium works quite ok with 2 players, but it's better with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies 1941 is a shorter, more compact version of the classic.

Magic the Gathering Arena of the Planeswalkersis a fun head to head battle with special power cards and cool miniatures. The original and the first expansion are also very cheap right now.

Forbidden Desert as a possible alternative to Pandemic. Same designer, same style of co-op, different theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Chauvois
France
flag msg tools
new user
Targi
Istanbul
Glüx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Crouch
msg tools
Thank you all for so many great recommendations!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
+1 for Star Realms if he's into sci-fi. If he prefers horror like my son, get Cthulhu Realms instead. And if he enjoys fantasy, there's Hero Realms. ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
benjamin CLOVIS
France
flag msg tools
Pandemic is a great 2 person game.
I have also started pandemic legacy with my 9 year old, and it really is a unique and awesome experience to go through together.
Obviously let us know what choice you made (so I c steal your good ideas for my son for Christmas)
Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jenkins
msg tools
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
A few people have said this, but I'll echo it. I think Mysterium would lose a bit of its appeal if played in a 2 player setting, not all, but I think a lot of what makes the game fun is having to pick and choose what's best for each player and doing the balancing act.

Pandemic seems like it'd be right up your alley.

Didn't see it listed anywhere else, but you also might enjoy Castle Panic

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew T
msg tools
mbmbmb
Castle Panic
Dice City
Dungeon Roll
Five Tribes
Fluxx (Star Fluxx, Pirate Fluxx)
Lost Cities
The Red Dragon Inn
Splendor
Zombie Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Welcome!

In Galaxy Trucker you frantically build a ship out of a pile of parts as fast as you can, then you defend yourself against meteors and space pirates during the flight stage, while trying to pick up valuable cargo. My wife and I enjoy this as 2-player, though it goes up to 4-player.

The main downside is that if you introduce new players to it after you have some experience, they will be at a considerable disadvantage, so you may have to handicap yourselves. So I suggest introducing your son's friends to it early on if possible! Or, you can simply enjoy it as a game for the two of you.

Also, check out Shut Up & Sit Down for some entertaining video reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmb
The first game that comes to mind is Mice and Mystics. An adventure you and your son can have together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clovisIII wrote:
Pandemic is a great 2 person game.
I have also started pandemic legacy with my 9 year old, and it really is a unique and awesome experience to go through together.
Obviously let us know what choice you made (so I c steal your good ideas for my son for Christmas)
Enjoy

ITA! Pandemic is awesome and the two of you will make some great lifesaving decisions together.
How great that your son is your gaming buddy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.