10 Posts

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Drawing multiple talent cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
What if I draw 3 or more talent cards in a row. Do I just continue to draw, until I have an equal amount of non talent cards, as talent cards drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mann
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul Teukbyeol-si
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Goodroll wrote:
What if I draw 3 or more talent cards in a row. Do I just continue to draw, until I have an equal amount of non talent cards, as talent cards drawn?

Are you asking what to do if you draw them during your Cleanup Phase?

Let's say you draw your hand for your next turn and any three of them were Talents. In this case, no you don't draw any extra cards YET.

During your next turn's Action Phase, you can play these cards to draw three more cards, one for each Talent you played, effectively giving you a nine card hand, and you may activate any or all of the Talents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the OP might be asking what happens if you draw a Talent upon playing your Talent. Each new Talent is just another card you can play to draw a new card. In other words, for each Talent you play, you get to draw another card from your deck to replace it.

Due to this, Talents are never really bad things to have in your deck. You will always draw a replacement for them, so they do not waste space in your hand while you wait for a turn when it's better to activate them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Due to this, Talents are never really bad things to have in your deck. You will always draw a replacement for them, so they do not waste space in your hand while you wait for a turn when it's better to activate them.

True for the most part. However, if you're dealing with one of those cards that requires drawing/revealing a card with x amount of printed Combat points, or certain minimum cost, the Talent cards dilute your chances. But there aren't that many of those type cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Freer
United Kingdom
Connecticut
flag msg tools
JayJ79 wrote:
Clipper wrote:

True for the most part. However, if you're dealing with one of those cards that requires drawing/revealing a card with x amount of printed Combat points, or certain minimum cost, the Talent cards dilute your chances. But there aren't that many of those type cards.

The biggest disadvantage of Talent cards in my view is diluting your coordinate cards. They are mostly null cards at worst on your own turn, but if you redraw a hand with 3 talents instead of a coordinate card or two then you allies might be sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
Clipper wrote:
I think the OP might be asking what happens if you draw a Talent upon playing your Talent. Each new Talent is just another card you can play to draw a new card. In other words, for each Talent you play, you get to draw another card from your deck to replace it.

Yes Clip, that is what I meant to say, drawing a talent upon "playing" a talent. Sorry folks for not making it clear.

OK. So I play a talent, and then I draw a talent from my deck. The talent that I played is "deserving" of one non talent card. When and how do I "claim" my non talent card.

Do I then draw another card. And then that turns out to be another talent card also. This did actually happen to me BTW. Or am I wrong about my first played talent card as "deserving" a non talent card. But then I would be just cycling talents without getting anything.

You seem to be saying, play a talent, draw a talent. End of story. Another talent card is all ya gonna get. Just seems like I'm being duped though shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Mann
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul Teukbyeol-si
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little concerned that a rule might be missing here, so please forgive me if this is an unnecessary explanation.

Phil Goodroll wrote:

OK. So I play a talent, and then I draw a talent from my deck.

You drew a card, which just happened to be a talent, from the top of your own deck. So far I understand.

Phil Goodroll wrote:

The talent that I played is "deserving" of one non talent card. When and how do I "claim" my non talent card.

This is an interesting way of wording what the card does. The Avatars' text for all Talent effects says you draw a card from the top of your deck, which is kind of "claiming" a card, but it does not guarantee you get a non-Talent card.

Phil Goodroll wrote:

Do I then draw another card. And then that turns out to be another talent card also. This did actually happen to me BTW. Or am I wrong about my first played talent card as "deserving" a non talent card. But then I would be just cycling talents without getting anything.

After you draw your second Talent from the top of your deck, you may now play it from your hand to draw yourself another card from the top of your deck.

If this is a non-Talent card, stop drawing cards.

If it is a Talent, you may play this card as well to draw another card from your deck. You are essentially drawing until you eventually hit a non-Talent card. But you are not "cycling without getting anything." You can still activate these Talents and get a huge boost from their effects, like a big boost of Attack for Jayne or Recruit for Inara.

Phil Goodroll wrote:

You seem to be saying, play a talent, draw a talent. End of story. Another talent card is all ya gonna get. Just seems like I'm being duped though shake

You play a Talent, draw a card. Maybe it's a Talent, maybe not, there's no guarantee. Just keep drawing until you hit a non-Talent card and unless your Avatar's Activate ability is highly situational, like River or Kaylee, you should be able to put at least a few of those extra Talents to good use.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Goodroll wrote:

But it is end of story for the talent you just played. Except now you have another talent in your hand to do it again. Every talent card has "draw a card" as part of playing it. Your just drawing a card, it's not dictating what kind of card you get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Goodroll wrote:
OK. So I play a talent, and then I draw a talent from my deck. The talent that I played is "deserving" of one non talent card. When and how do I "claim" my non talent card.

You can play cards in whatever order you like, and you can even do so after doing other things in your Action Phase. Thus, you just play the new talent too and draw the next card. If it is also a talent, you can play it after that.

Quote:

I'm sorry I provided that impression as I certainly didn't intend to.

Your Action Phase is a part of the game where you can play cards, activate played cards, Fight enemies, Scan cards in the Verse and Recruit characters. You can do those in whatever order you like as many times as you'd like.

For example, the following sequence for an Action phase is fine:

Assume you are Mal, whose Talent's Activate effect is to choose two players to draw cards, then Defeat the Talent.
1: Play Talent, draw a non-Talent.
2: Activate Talent, choose yourself and another player, draw a Talent yourself. Defeat the Talent card, returning it to the Talent stack.
3: The other player coordinates a Browncoat card they just drew (and then they draw a replacement card for Coordinating). You say you are playing a virtual copy of that Browncoat to gain 2 Recruit points.
4: You spend those 2 Recruit points on buying a character from the Bridge, adding the card to your discard pile.
5: Play the second Talent you drew in step 2, draw a new Talent.
6: Play this third Talent and draw a non-Talent card.
7: Continue your turn, playing other cards, Scanning the Verse, Fighting enemies, Recruiting more characters or whatever.

Note that there is no requirement to play all of your cards in one go. You can play any card that is in your hand at any time in the sequence of things you do during the Action Phase.

I hope that makes things a little clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Martin
Australia
flag msg tools
Many thanks people
That has all been very well explained. I have Got it now.

Sorry to put you to so much trouble, but a great game like this deserves to be played properly. There goes my deserves again

I now realize where the notion that the talent card deserved a non talent card came form. It was because at first, with only one talent card, I was only drawing non talent cards.

I just got use to that happening, and my brain started think that it was right of passage. Then that just compounded the confusion laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.