Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

In the games I play I am often terribly unlucky with the dice.

It seems my lack of good fortune applies to the customs people as well.

I ordered the 4 Eclipse promo packs here on BGG paying £29.50 for them. Today I get a card from the postie telling me that they have incurred a customs charge of £5.50 and that the post office will be charging me an extra £8 for "handling". So, £43 in all for the four promo items.

Shucks!!!

Anyoine else in the UK considering buying these items, beware there may well be an extra cost on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Weber
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The promos are also available from Lautapelit for €5 each.

With shipping to the UK you would have to pay about £31 and no customs inside the EU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're better off splitting your orders on the BGG store. With the poor exchange rate at the moment more than 2 promos runs the risk of getting a customs charge (speaking from experience!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
You're better off splitting your orders on the BGG store. With the poor exchange rate at the moment more than 2 promos runs the risk of getting a customs charge (speaking from experience!)

Yup. It was not a logical choice to get them all at once. It is not so much the customes charge that irks me, but the £8 handling charge that the Post Office levy. Imo, that is outrageous and just plain money-grabbing. I think it is nothing but a rip-off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, didn't think anyone had lower customs limits than Norway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They changed the customs rates and seem to have not told anyone, or we just don't look.

I ordered £50 worth of miniatures from the USA including shipping costs. But I ended up with like £26 worth of customs fees which ruined it all. I hated that. You get charged for customs for anything over £20 these days I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For us U.K. Boardgamers ordering anything from the USA, use viabox service. I have used it several times. You have your game ( often for me kick starter) delivered to your USA address and put the value at a nominal $10.
No getting mugged with the pincer movement of the customs and post office.
It's worth considering and has on occasion enabled me to purchase stuff that will only ship within us .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
For us U.K. Boardgamers ordering anything from the USA, use viabox service. I have used it several times. You have your game ( often for me kick starter) delivered to your USA address and put the value at a nominal $10.
It's worth considering and has on occasion enabled me to purchase stuff that will only ship within us .

I'd love to see the explanation how that isn't tax fraud by underdeclaring the value of imported goods. Do you happen to have one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Thain
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elTigreCHino wrote:
They changed the customs rates and seem to have not told anyone, or we just don't look.

I ordered £50 worth of miniatures from the USA including shipping costs. But I ended up with like £26 worth of customs fees which ruined it all. I hated that. You get charged for customs for anything over £20 these days I think.

IIRC the limit is £15. They reduced it from £18 a few years ago because Amazon and the like were exploiting the limit by dispatching DVDs and CDs from the Channel Islands.

With current weak £, that is about $18 US and then tax at 20% is due on value of goods + postage. And finally the carrier adds a handling fee, which varies, but most recently was £8 flat fee for Royal Mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
biffta wrote:

I'd love to see the explanation how that isn't tax fraud by underdeclaring the value of imported goods. Do you happen to have one?

You got me, I must have the moral fibre of Amazon and co.
I will be a good citizen and hand myself in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biffta wrote:
chrisdk wrote:
biffta wrote:

You got me, I must have the moral fibre of Amazon and co.
I will be a good citizen and hand myself in

I'd very much appreciate that. Afterall, you ARE a board gamer, so an expectation of a certain adherence to the rules as written seems reasonable. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be glad you don't live in Canada, it would have cost you much much more. And Lautapelit won't even sell it to us, I don't even know why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
Leighbob wrote:

Yup. It was not a logical choice to get them all at once. It is not so much the customes charge that irks me, but the £8 handling charge that the Post Office levy. Imo, that is outrageous and just plain money-grabbing. I think it is nothing but a rip-off.

They do the same in Spain and I do not really mind, as you say, the VAT and the extra taxes, but I do hate that they charge me the handling fee for some papers that I am the one that ends up filling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another example of a business that is setup to screw every penny (or euro or cent) out of people whenever they can.

Somewhere, at some time, one bright spark had the idea of using coins as currency with which to exchange for goods and services. I doubt they envisaged to multitude of possibilities it would engender for man to screw over his fellows. Ah well whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.