Subject: Mythic Battles Panteon vs. The Edge: Downfall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Masoud Tabatabaei
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see a comparison between these two yet, although both are (basically 2 player) skirmish battle games with beautiful miniatures on some gridded arena, and they came to kickstarter very close to each other. So, those who did their homework on these two games, besides the theme and the miniatures which are a matter of taste, how do you compare these two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked into both, but ultimately decided to go with MB:P for several reasons.

1) Value. The Edge simply seemed too expensive for what it offered. They made the deals better at some point during the campaign, but still, MB:P simply offers more for the money.

2) Accessability. A huge plus for MB:P is the fact, that you do not build armies ahead of time, something that usually leads to every player needing their own copy of the game, in order to work out well. In MB:P you can simply put stuff on the table and start playing (building/drafting your army being part of it).

3) Variability. With dozens of scenarios and different play modes, MB:P offers more gameplay variability. It's more than just a skirmish game. The coop mode in The Edge seems very much tacked-on to me. I might be wrong, but that was my impression.

4) Compatibility. I have Conan as well, so the Crossover is another plus here.

5) Theme. I prefer the Greek Mythology theme.

6) Support. The guys from Mythic Games really went out of their way to make this Kickstarter a great experience. Likewise, they seem very determined to bring the game to the gaming tables as quickly as possible (but without sacrificing quality).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much what Thanee said, minus pt.4 (yet, at least

I might have considered both if they had been much farther apart... I had pledged for Dawnfall but had to cancel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, I am growing weary of kickstarter projects.

They often offer great value, good production, but lack in testing and focus. Conan, for example, although a great system and I am sure will be even better in the future, felt incomplete to me: bad rulebook, some scenarios needed more testing and the lack of scenarios was also am issue. The minis/gameplay ratio suffers.

However, the basic game of MB is one of my favorites, and the developers and the designer seems to have understood all the lessons from Conan (which is more rare than you'd think). The minis are the gameplay, and each SG and add-on seems to balance more good stuff with more gameplay options.

Everything is gameplay related, even the more aesthetic options, like alternate sculpts and scenery have a gameplay function, with the possible exception of the art book.

Great base game, Commitment from producers that learn fast and are dedicated to their work, commitment from the designer, great community, great value, great quality on the components. It is very hard not to participate on this kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I looked into both, but ultimately decided to go with MB for several reasons.

1) Value. The Edge simply seemed too expensive for what it offered. They made the deals better at some point during the campaign, but still, MB simply offers more for the money.

2) Accessability. A huge plus for MB is the fact, that you do not build armies ahead of time, something that usually leads to every player needing their own copy of the game, in order to work out well. In MB you can simply put stuff on the table and start playing (building/drafting your army being part of it).

3) Variability. With dozens of scenarios and different play modes, MB offers more gameplay variability. It's more than just a skirmish game. The coop mode in The Edge seems very much tacked-on to me. I might be wrong, but that was my impression.

4) Compatibility. I have Conan as well, so the Crossover is another plus here.

5) Theme. I prefer the Greek Mythology theme.

6) Support. The guys from Mythic Games really went out of their way to make this Kickstarter a great experience. Likewise, they seem very determined to bring the game to the gaming tables as quickly as possible (but without sacrificing quality).

Bye
Thanee

I am split between the two. I backed Dawnfall at $1, which is most likely what I'll do with MB, and make a final decision during the PMs. However, I wanted to provide some counterpoints to the above.

1) Value -- there's no denying that the God pledge in MB is a tremendous value. It may even be one of the best values we've seen in a KS game. However, if you want all the gameplay content, you'll need to add the $299 add-on bundle. Oh, and you'll want that exclusive box to organize all your stuff, so that's another add-on. I agree that the value is certainly higher in terms of game components in MB, but you'll also be sinking more money into it if you want it all.

2) Accessibility -- I'd actually argue that MB, at this point, is much less accessible than Dawnfall. Sure, there's a draft... but you're given free range to draft through 100+ choices! There are obvious ways to limit the draft and make it more manageable, but Dawnfall is much more straightforward in its army creation than MB.

3) Variability -- Neither game has shown off their campaigns/scenarios to any great extent. MB is promising to have more, but Dawnfall seemed to suggest a deeper campaign system. Again, MB wins by sheer volume, but that doesn't automatically equate to quality or depth. Also, at their hearts, these are both skirmish games, and I imagine most people will play them as such. (I played the original MB through all the expansions and all the included scenarios, and much preferred to play freeform over any scenarios included.)

4) Compatibility -- I don't own Conan so this isn't a factor for me, but from what they've offered, it seems like the compatibility is pretty... negligible? You got one small crossover, right? I guess that Ape and those villagers are cool, but that hardly seems like much to write home about.

5) Theme -- Both are dark, apocalyptic type settings. You'll have to decide which of the two is more to your liking

6) Support -- The guys at Awaken Realms have put in a lot of work to create a universe for their games. AR created a graphic novel component and wanted to create more fiction supplements. A lot of people don't care about the supplemental lore, but it shows their commitment to supporting the project. Also, the guys at AR made several large-scale changes to the campaign directly in response to their backers request. People wanted a better pledge deal? They did it. People wanted standee versions of the ultra-expensive boss models and terrain? They did it. While that campaign has not been as entertaining as this one, it would be a stretch to say that MB has more "support" than E: D.

7) X Factor -- Another thing to consider in MB's favor is that it's basically the 2.0 version of a previous game. The original game had its strengths and was an enjoyable game, so you can be pretty sure that this version will be top-notch in the gameplay department. On the other hand, E: D has Michał Oracz as a lead designer, so that's pretty huge as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both have great minis but it comes down to gameplay.

Mythic Battles - The gameplay is ROCK SOLID. The original was a fantastic game. It plays extremely well. The new game looks better. The vast amount of minis will add a lot of depth to the gameplay as things will remain fresh with each draft.

The dice rolling in MB, while different works very well to promote success. You may not always roll hideous amounts of damage, but it's possible for even a weak unit to make a god bleed. I really like that. It feels like few attempts are a waste of time.

The activation system in MB is truly amazing and a big part of the game. It's a mix of lack of control and control. You're limited to the cards in hand of which units are to be activated...but you can always spend Art of War cards to fish for a card in your draw deck. The choice is yours and it's a meaningful powerful choice. Without playing it, it's hard to explain why it is so much fun, but meaningful choices in a game is the most important thing (IMO).

The Edge - The thing that really turned me off was that the designers did not have the rules completely set. They play-tested for something like 2 years (or so they said), then hit a convention just before the KSer started and based on some feedback, had decided to make changes. That says to me that they were not ready to start a KSer and that they will use this time to continue writing/changing the rules. Which means that not everything will be playtested throughly before the release.

The Edge gameplay did not wow me. It is essentially both players roll a d6 and one player will add a bonus (both players add, but if I have a +3 and you have a +2, it works out to me having a +1 bonus). D6+X vs D6 is a pretty basic and kinda boring system for a war game.

There is a selection of cards for each unit and that part was interesting. In fact it is the only interesting part of the battles.

One of the core differences between the two is that the Edge mini selection looks a little shallow. There were a limited number of figures per faction and once you play a single game (presuming you use all figures available to that faction - a 'big' game) then you've seen everything that faction has to offer. MB, due to the draft, should keep things much more interesting. Armies will change a great deal due to a lack of factions. A player can go monster heavy, hero heavy, troop heavy, etc. A balanced force. Focus on attempting to get synergy. So many more options. A so many more units to choose from in MB.

Obviously I'm choosing MB.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bogdan Alexandru Barbu
Romania
Bucuresti
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pledged for both game systems as I believe they both offer different play styles.

1. Value. While the basic pledge in MBP clearly beats the one faction basic pledge from Edge, the end packages offered in both systems are arguably equal in value. The Dawnfall pledge offers 7x2 factions with ks extras for each faction.

2. Accessibility. The factions while built from specific troop pools, still allow further customization using multiple copies of various troops from the same faction. Arguably the drafting phase from MBP is matching the initial customization and setup from The Edge. An app assistant also is scheduled to be developed for the Edge.

3.Variability. The Edge offers a campaign/ legacy mode and an automated faction (the Darkness) for a solo mode. In my opinion the squirmishes by defined factions are much more balanced than the ones offered by drafted miss and match units from MBP.

4. Compatibility. Clearly the crossover with Conan and future pantheons give "the edge" here to MBP.

5. Theme. MBP has taken so much freedom with the artistic representations for some of the cannon figures of Greek mythology so far that at times makes one wonder which Pantheon is being actually represented here. Lovecraftian? Pulp fantasy?

6. Support. The Edge is offered by the same guys that gave us "This War of Mine" and Cry Havoc and Hiroshima Hex. Monolith will have to prove first that they have learned the lessons from Conan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperMike3288 wrote:
1) Value -- there's no denying that the God pledge in MB is a tremendous value. It may even be one of the best values we've seen in a KS game. However, if you want all the gameplay content, you'll need to add the $299 add-on bundle. Oh, and you'll want that exclusive box to organize all your stuff, so that's another add-on. I agree that the value is certainly higher in terms of game components in MB, but you'll also be sinking more money into it if you want it all.

Of course. Such is the nature of add-ons on Kickstarter. However, even those come in a pretty good deal (not quite as good as the base pledge, but that is hardly possible).

Quote:
2) Accessibility -- I'd actually argue that MB, at this point, is much less accessible than Dawnfall. Sure, there's a draft... but you're given free range to draft through 100+ choices! There are obvious ways to limit the draft and make it more manageable, but Dawnfall is much more straightforward in its army creation than MB.

The range of choices is a non-issue, as you can simply limit it as appropriate. My main point is, that you do not have to prepare anything ahead of time. That is what I meant with accessability.

It makes it far easier to play this game with people who do not also own the game. I do not know, how well this would work with The Edge, it might, or it might not. But it is something that will work with Mythic Battles.

Quote:
4) Compatibility -- I don't own Conan so this isn't a factor for me, but from what they've offered, it seems like the compatibility is pretty... negligible? You got one small crossover, right? I guess that Ape and those villagers are cool, but that hardly seems like much to write home about.

That's just the minis they added, so that the expansion does not look so bland. The main content of the crossover is cardboard (hero sheets, tiles, and such), that integrates many of the Mythic Battle units in Conan.

Quote:
6) Support -- ... it would be a stretch to say that MB has more "support" than E: D.

Never claimed anything like this.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.