$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
30.7% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Ante Cetinić
msg tools
new user
Hi all,

The exploit card states:

Action: Perform an attack. If this attack targets a monster within 3 spaces of a trap token, add 1 additional green die to your attack pool.
This attack gains: Surge: The target is Weakened (even if you didn't deal any damage)

The rules state that in the combat order you spend surges before dealing damage.

Question: Since you don't need to inflict damage to apply the Weakened condition, does the Weakened card apply immediately and then have an effect on the deal damage phase by removing one shield?

T0NT0

p.s. will post on FFG as well in hope of some official response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. (Edit: Maybe? See Paul's more detailed answer below.)
Since you apply the Weakened condition in step 4 of the attack sequence, that condition immediately suppresses 1 shield from the defense result (even if they've been rolled on step 2). Therefore, in step 5, you potentially inflict 1 more damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Smithe
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is my answer from this thread on the FFG forum. I think Painkeeper is right, but there is an alternate possibility.

There is an answer from an FFG rules question awhile ago that essentially concludes damage dealt (ordinarily) is necessary to inflict the condition, so damage dealt (hearts - shields) is not recalculated after applying weakened. In other words, let's say the attack has 3 hearts, and the defender rolled 2 shields. You get to step 5 and deal 1 damage (3-2), so weakened is applied. You do NOT then go back and subtract 1 shield for weakened to make it 3-1 = 2 damage dealt. Rather, you ignore the effect of weakened for that attack since it has already been applied.

Your case is a little strange since the damage dealing requirement is removed. I could see it treated one of two ways:

1. Conditions are unique as far as surge abilities go. Since they (generally) require dealing damage, conditions aren't applied in step 4 like other surges, they are delayed until step 5. Since this is condition dealing surge, you remove the requirement but keep the same timing.

2. Conditions are only unique because of the damage dealing requirement. Because that requirement is gone, there is no need to delay this particular ability until step 5, so it's applied in step 4 like any other non-condition surge.

I think option 2 is more likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Paul opinion: I forgot about the damage dealing requirement that Conditions-on-surge usually have.

That's another brick that leads me to think an Official Rule Reference from FFG would be very welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am working on an inofficial Rules Reference at the moment that will address these and similar questions.
See here.

It would be great if someone would ask FFG to answer this question and post the answer here. I will put it into the Rules Reference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.