Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Experienced Dynamite rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the most exciting design decisions of this game for me is the experienced card mechanic.

You don’t have to invent a brand new card every time.

If you play card based games eventually your card pool passes a thousand cards then it passes ten thousand cards and you can’t hold all of them in your head and the publisher has to find some way of making the cards you bought redundant.

With AH:LCG I need to keep far fewer distinct cards in my brain. I will always know what “Lucky” does. Even if there are now seven different versions of “Lucky” they all add a bonus to a failed test and have different flavours of sprinkles after that. (Draw a card, Heal a damage, gain a resource, remove a doom token, or whatever.)

And it means the cards stay current. I will always need to start with the level zero version from my core box in my brand new investigator’s deck and then as they earn experience I can choose what subsequent version I will buy in depending on my scenario/ group/ playstyle etc.

It also manages the power curve. Level five cards can be powerful but if your class doesn’t match up you can’t use it. Even if it does you can’t take a shotgun in your first campaign scenario.

So what card are you most looking forward to an experienced version of?

I’m looking forward to seeing version three of the Beat Cop and all the Allies in fact. Does Leo keep dropping his fee?

It will be interesting to see the class specific skills like Deduction, Vicious Blow and Fearless become more potent, along with talents such as Physical Training.

Then of course you have the investigator item cards. Daisy’s Tote bag could fit in an extra book. But it looks like they are getting rid of the pips so they may have to find another way letting you upgrade them.

There is no reason why you couldn’t upgrade your investigator card with XP for better numbers or enhanced abilities.

But what I would do is to allow you to spend XP on a downgraded version of your Character Weakness. A cover up that only held two clues for example. But these cards are designed to be static detriments and Abandoned and Alone isn’t easy to scale so that probably won’t happen.

I want to see experienced versions of every card but I am most intrigued to see what would happen with the Neutral Skill cards. Sure you can give Unexpected Courage a card draw but what about Perception?
Other than drawing two cards or having three icons what are they going to do next?

So pick a card... any card... and experience it.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I actually hope they dont go exp crazy.

One pip each time for a better ability doesn't keep it balanced.

Problem is the limit on pips. I guess they could add colors like a red dot to equil 5 exp then white for 1.

How i see it is i would always go for the highest pip. In missions where you can get 6 or 8 exp that already maxes the exp you get to buy the best upgraded versions

A single upgraded version of a card is fine, but i dont feel it should go beyond that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does Dynamite get experienced? Once it blows up, it's not around to have learned how to blow up better next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Telling
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
How does Dynamite get experienced? Once it blows up, it's not around to have learned how to blow up better next time.

It comes back to the next mission but it also has trauma unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
How about......

I am entirely incapable of succinct brevity on cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
dboeren wrote:

The card's not called "Dynamite"; it's called "Dynamite Blast." It's the blast itself--ie, the abstract concept of dynamite exploding--that gets more experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
As an aside, I wish there was a trait 'Explosive' on Dynamite Blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dboeren wrote:

I would think that the investigator using the dynamite has gained experience. The first time you use it, you just light the fuse and throw it. More experience allows you to have a better idea of fuse burn times, up to eventually being able to build a tripwire trap or something similar.

That's how the leveling of that card would work in my head anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
I actually hope they dont go exp crazy.

One pip each time for a better ability doesn't keep it balanced.

Problem is the limit on pips. I guess they could add colors like a red dot to equil 5 exp then white for 1.

How i see it is i would always go for the highest pip. In missions where you can get 6 or 8 exp that already maxes the exp you get to buy the best upgraded versions

A single upgraded version of a card is fine, but i dont feel it should go beyond that

There is a keyword called Exceptional in the rules (not on any cards yet) but costs double the printed XP cost and only 1 per deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
scourn1 wrote:

That would only get you a single upgraded card. If, say, there's a card with a 2xp version and a 4xp upgrade, getting two of the lower-level versions would be more reliable than one of the high-level (that is, you're more likely to draw an upgraded card, and you can potentially reuse it after expending the first copy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Umm, so what if little old emergency cache blossoms into..

3 xp too cheap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.