Subject: Narrative Sculptures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian Schuster
Germany
Ulm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else noticed that the new expansions don't come with armor kits but with four narrative sculptures? So if there is a possible shift away from armor kits and towards narrative sculptures, what are the odds that there will also be narrative sculptures for the base game gear?
I'm asking because I'm really on the fence for KD:M and the main reason keeping me from getting it are the armor kits. Though I admire the idea of total customization, I'm really more a fan of dynamic poses in miniatures.
So if there was the possibility of getting those during kickstarter or shortly after I would totally throw my money at the screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Blaes
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
There's already one in the Gambler's Box for the White Lion gear (with the Twilight Sword), and one for the leather armor (with axe). I'd be surprised if we didn't see at least a few more, but I doubt we'll get a full 4 for each armor set or anything. If you really don't like the armor kits, though, they usually sell for a pretty good chunk on eBay, and there's plenty of other models you'll be able to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Navarro
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE the idea of switching from the armor kits to these new narrative sculptures. They look so much better than the armor kits!!
I sold all my core game armor kits as soon as I bought the game and would be very happy to see any narrative sculptures in the new core game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I welcome narrative sculptures, because I will never be decisive enough to build from the armor kits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the armor kits work, anyway? You permanently modified your starter figures by attaching gear? Which, I guess, sort of messes the concept up if you restart the campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
I would welcome the narrative sculptures as long as they come with enough bits for personalization, loose weapons, lanterns, gear, etc. I can always repose/reequip with a jewelers saw, exacto-blades and some greenstuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Battarra
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mb
Digitalwolfe wrote:
How did the armor kits work, anyway? You permanently modified your starter figures by attaching gear? Which, I guess, sort of messes the concept up if you restart the campaign?

No, the starter figures stay, with their basic equipment (sharop stone, loincloth).
Each armor set comes with 4 complete bodies (torso+legs, 2 male, 2 female) and a large number of arms, heads and weapons/equipments.

Most of the sets are mixable, if you want to make a survivor that looks a bit different (or is equipped with mixed armor parts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MatBat wrote:
Digitalwolfe wrote:

No, the starter figures stay, with their basic equipment (sharop stone, loincloth).
Each armor set comes with 4 complete bodies (torso+legs, 2 male, 2 female) and a large number of arms, heads and weapons/equipments.

Most of the sets are mixable, if you want to make a survivor that looks a bit different (or is equipped with mixed armor parts).

And you can magnetize, but it is delicate work and gets a bit crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Pantera92 wrote:
Anyone else noticed that the new expansions don't come with armor kits but with four narrative sculptures? So if there is a possible shift away from armor kits and towards narrative sculptures, what are the odds that there will also be narrative sculptures for the base game gear?
I'm asking because I'm really on the fence for KD:M and the main reason keeping me from getting it are the armor kits. Though I admire the idea of total customization, I'm really more a fan of dynamic poses in miniatures.
So if there was the possibility of getting those during kickstarter or shortly after I would totally throw my money at the screen.

Just an FYI, while the armor kits tend towards static poses, you can definitely make some action poses too. They aren't as good as a purpose-cast pose, but they aren't terrible either. You get way more arms and heads than you'll use and they come with quite a bit of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam said in the comments that he is not completely doing away with armor kits, and will be talking about this exact subject in today's update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
Adam said in the comments that he is not completely doing away with armor kits, and will be talking about this exact subject in today's update.

Yeah, he realized he forgot to address that today, so probably tomorrow (early update today!).

My bet is they're probably going to start selling the armor kits separately. If that's the case, I'm just going to give up on armor kits entirely because I can't see myself making a separate purchase to pick up the associated armor kit so I can equip a survivor with a piece of that gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
I'm a rather indecisive person at times.

Though I do enjoy my armour kits, most of them are still attached to the spruces since it's just too overwhelming deciding what should fit where.
The poses aren't that great either. Then there's the Dragon King Armour, for which there's still no assembly instructions.

I definitely prefer the narrative sculptures. I'd gladly sacrifice some customisation for more dynamic miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when people are talking about armor sets are you just referring to the minis or also the armor set bonus cards/mechanics?

I would be a tad upset the armor set minis were going away but would be pissed if the armor set bonus cards/mechanics were going away because of narrative sculpts. I suspect very much it is the former but best to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
A possible problem with armor kits is that they require more effort with each expansion added.

Every armor kit has to be tooled for compatibility with every other armor kit. IIRC, some of the delay last Kickstarter was due to needing to tweak armor kits to make sure they could be mixed and matched.

If you had two armor kits, you would only have to make sure they fit each other. Add another, and each has to fit with two others--this is three times as many fits to check. Add a fourth, and you have to check for fit with three others, doubling the total complexity again: 6 times as complicated as with two. It's a geometric progression.

So if Poots added six new armor kits to this Kickstarter, it would take significantly more development time to check them for fit than he spent on the first six kits. Possibly this is not where he wants to spend his time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
So when people are talking about armor sets are you just referring to the minis or also the armor set bonus cards/mechanics?

Minis.

The Nightmare ram card list included an Armor set card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mb
Elyklord wrote:

So we will hear about it any time between two weeks ago and a week before shipping.

I love Poots time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

Minis.

The Nightmare ram card list included an Armor set card.

Thanks. Confirms my suspicions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greasy Reese
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm loving the new Narrative minis, and even prefer them over the kits.

I think that Poots will be discussing armour kits and narrative minis in more detail very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.