BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Transparent cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris laforce
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
So I'm currently working on a game inspired by jrpgs, where each hero is trying to reach their final location while playing monster cards on other player's locations to slow them down.

I've been struggling with the leveling of heroes, because I want most cards in the game to be able to be used to improve a character (you can use a spell to level a character into improved stats+new ability). I just bought some hecatomb Decks and though that their mechanic would work pretty well (placing transparent cards on top of each other to build on the base creature).

How feasible are transparent cards? Too expensive? Are there any websites you can recommend?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They're relatively expensive, which is why they remain in collectible format games (where you can pay multiple times for something you already own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris laforce
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply! Would they be too expensive for a living card games base set type thing? I know gloom uses them and that doesn't seem like a terribly unreasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I can't speak to cost, I can speak on the cards somewhat. I think they are really a cool idea and look neat, but I question the longevity. For example, we have Gloom and play it VERY rarely. We have cards that have had the corners cracked off or a card cracked in general. I think we even have less than 5 plays in on this deck and we tend to be very general... I'm very OCD on my games. cool

So I'm not sure that I helped at all, but the cost vs quality might be a deterrent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Also after about 4 cards you start to lose the clear picture of the art. Ren Faire uses this card system. The cards tend to dull after a time and scratch fairly easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris laforce
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Ah, thanks for saying so guys, that's definitely a deterrent. Dang, they're so cool I guess there had to be some reason they weren't being used more often -_-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystic Vale seems to be leading the way here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane W

Utah
msg tools
mb
What about cards that you place under the character card that can stick out on a side and show a stat or ability? I saw some game that does something like this but can't remember which one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris laforce
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
That's what I'm experimenting with right now dane, but it's a bit fiddly when you have multiple abilities attached to each card.

I wonder if mystic vale is having better luck with the card quality, I'll look into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.