Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is it ok for the Imperial Player to do dry runs for missions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin L
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
For the first two missions in my campaign, I played both Rebels and Empire ahead of time to get a feel for how the mission would play out. I assumed this was fine since the Empire gets to know all of the mission details anyways. My Rebels didn't care for this so I agreed not to do any more dry runs. How do others feel? Is the dry run an acceptable practice or no?

Poll
Is it acceptable for the Imperial Player to do a test run of a mission during a campaign?
Yes
No
      69 answers
Poll created by IamtheLaw382
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan G
msg tools
I think its fine to do so. I prefer a smooth experience over one that is interrupted with rule look ups and scenario clarifications.

However, with the group I play with, I don't run Imperials competitively. My players really like the game, but aren't super into best strategies and synergies. It's more about having fun for them. Plus we only play every so often. I give them a run for their money, but I don't try to mop the floor with them. The win/lose ratio has been pretty even, with one or two more missions to go in the original campaign. I also DM for this group.

I am looking forward to having one of them play imperial for the next campaign and I'm all for them running through missions so that they are better prepared to give us a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hehe. It's your game. You can play solo any time you wish and in any way you wish...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't do that. I think its okay to read ahead, but really play missions ahead is too much and most importantly, I'd feel cheating if I did it, but if you think it's fine, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Depends on intent: If you're dong a test to make sure you can run the mission smoothly that's probably fine, but if you're practicing to get better at beating the Rebel players then that's kind of cheating since they don't get the same chance.

If your Rebel players don't want you to do it, then play by those rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that's generally not a good idea. Reading through the entire scenario is fine and I haven't seen any so complicated that that would be insufficient to grok the rules well enough to run the game smoothly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin L
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I was definitely doing it to come up with a strategy for myself - my intentions could not be described as noble. No more of that for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's like asking, "Is it okay for the Imperial player to have ever played the mission before?" Are your friends going to not play with you if you've played this campaign before? If so, they're odd friends...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
it depends on your group but I wouldn't do it - it makes the mission less fun (imo) and I want to be genuinely surprised as both Imperial & Rebel

depending on mission, sometimes I might tell my Rebel players "I have played this mission before"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
What's your objective? [Edit: Oh I see now you did answer that already]

If you are confused about the events or something similar, then a quick run to help understand the mission makes sense.

If you are trying to win every mission and grind the rebels to dust, then they probably won't have any fun. Your campaign might not survive to the end doing that.

On the other hand, if you are losing lots and need help to be competitive, then a dry run sounds like a good plan. It's good for the Imperial to have fun too!

So, if you want clarity on rules or events, then yes.
If you want everyone at your table to have fun, then it probably depends on the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I do it all the time. Its mandatory for first time imperials.

The game is hotribly balanced as it is, to the point that if you dont get what a scenario is about it will be a cake walk for the rebels.

Also, anyone saying this is cheating is just being silly. As another have said, if you played it before are you cheating?

Besides, you cant really know 100% what the rebels will do. So things will be different in the real game.

Even as a rebel i would rather have a decent challenge rather then taking advantage of a dm that misses out stuff.

If, for example, you forget the mission is about an exit point, and the rebels just rush to it thats dumb.

They have 4 heads reminding them. You need to know your stuff.

Ps
Sorry for typos, writing from phone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Given the knowledge available to the IP, I guess I don't see why not...

But still, are your campaigns really that competitive? I know that if I was one of the Rebels in your group, I'd honestly be a little bit weirded out that you're going to that much trouble to beat me in what is (at least in my experience) a pretty friendly game.

But maybe your whole group is that competitive. If so, I'd make your case to them, citing how much material is available to the Empire anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find yourself losing horribly as the Imperial, I don't think it would be unreasonable to practice a little on your own so you can put up more of a fight. But if the campaign has been pretty close, or if you're winning, then it would be bad form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would playing a mission solo with different heroes and different items and different open groups and agenda cards be fine? What if you use a different class deck too? Would playing against a different group be fine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I really don't see the problem. I played through missions in my head before real games all the time as the imperial player. If you are saying that is against the spirit, the only way of preventing it is to say the imperial shouldn't look at the mission beforehand.

As the imperial, you have the mission rules and are the only one running things. You should definitely look beforehand as it will keep the game running smoothly as you can make a post here on BGG if you have any questions on the mechanics. The game is also designed around the imperial having fore-knowledge and making plans, while the (hopefully 4) rebels are reacting to events as they unfold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stl0369 wrote:
The game is also designed around the imperial having fore-knowledge and making plans, while the (hopefully 4) rebels are reacting to events as they unfold.

But this does not mean that the Imperial player should play as long as he knows the optimal strategy for each mission. That's an unfair advantage the rebel players don't have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
For me, it depends on the balance of the group.

All things being equal and assuming first time playing for all players, I would say this is not ok.

If the rebels tend to win more often than not this is a reasonable way for the imperial player to gain some advantage to even things up without needing to tweak rules.

In my present campaign (Hoth, first time seeing it for all players) the imperial player likes to watch youtube videos about the upcoming mission to get ideas for strategy. Rebels are winning 5-2 so I have no problem with this. If the imperial player was up 5-2 and doing this sort of research I would have a problem with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seattle
WASHINGTON
flag msg tools
mb
I would encourage it. It is not weird at all. Good imperial players are going to be formulating strategy before the mission. They are a team of one going against a team of many. They don't have as many heads strategizing on the fly while playing.

I see no difference with staring at the book while imagining the models in your head and actually having models on the map and moving them around. The latter just makes your brain hurt less.

Considering it cheating is odd. You have no idea what the rebels are actually going to do or what damage/defense the dice are going to come up with. Model placement, activation order and dice rolls completely change the pace of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
As is basically my motto, people play the game for different reasons. My group plays more to have fun, almost like a slightly competitive D&D session. But who am I to begrudge someone looking for something more competitive?

It's a good point that this is little different than reading through the mission beforehand. As a semi-DM in my group, I actually consider it my responsibility to read through a mission beforehand, if not to simply smooth the experience once we start playing. Typically, I don't try too hard to adapt my strategy to this (as I tend to play thematically anyway) but if the Empire has the information, why not use it?

Again, I think that this is something your group as a whole needs to decide on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I dunno, to me it's like playing Agricola solo 100 times, then inviting my friends over to play Agricola. Of course I'm going to win. It's not "cheating" but it's not a good way to have fun either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Deano2099 wrote:
I dunno, to me it's like playing Agricola solo 100 times, then inviting my friends over to play Agricola. Of course I'm going to win. It's not "cheating" but it's not a good way to have fun either.

Are you saying that if I played Agricola 100 times in the past then I can't play the game ever with new people?

For the record, if I buy a new game, I always play it against myself at least once just to see that I know the rules at the very least before I play it with other people.

Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure it's the right way to have fun rather than say "okay, everyone need to play completely blind so let's go over the rules together"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
How much dice rolling and how many variable player powers does Agricola have? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

Are you saying that if I played Agricola 100 times in the past then I can't play the game ever with new people?

For the record, if I buy a new game, I always play it against myself at least once just to see that I know the rules at the very least before I play it with other people.

Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure it's the right way to have fun rather than say "okay, everyone need to play completely blind so let's go over the rules together"

The intent, though, seems to be to get better at the game and develop a strategy to beat your friends.

I do agree that it's imperative to play a game to get to know the rules before hitting the group table. And Deano and I both also seem to agree that, in OP's case, it's certainly not cheating. Just that, with some groups, this could be a serious breach of trust and fun. Again, though- if OP's Rebels are cool with it (and they should know he's doing this, at least) more power to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.