Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the many things I like about Eldritch Horror in general is it's attention to detail across the board (no pun intended) But I am beyond baffled by the card "Blunderbuss" in this expansion.

At first I was happy that the expansion include a single barrelled shotgun as such weapons were in high use at the time and their inclusion in the game was necessary. Also the card itself is interesting as it encompasses the fact such weapons had advantages and disadvantages (just as the card does) Though the fact the double barrelled shotgun doesn't have these disadvantages confuses me. The double barrelled shotgun was inferior in many ways to the single barrelled one. But that's another post for another time.

However. Single Barrelled shotguns during the 1920s were not called Blunderbusses. Single Barrelled shotguns during the entire 20th century were not called blunderbusses. Single barreled shotguns as depicted in the art work of the card were never called Blunderbusses. A blunderbuss is a very specific type of flintlock weapon that went out of use in the middle of the 19th century.

Unlike other terms like "carbine" the term "Blunderbuss" was not applied to any general shotgun type weapon later in history. At least as far as I can see. It's a bit like calling a rifle a musket. Or a tommygun a repeating crossbow.

Now maybe this is some old blunderbuss that the character picked up? Well then it shouldn't have those good stats, and the artwork does not portray a blunderbuss but rather a single barreled shotgun.

Now you say "oh but the designers wanted some cool name for the weapon and not just '12 gauge shotgun.' Well, they have no problem using the term '.38 revolver' or '.45 automatics' But even if they didn't want lame numbers they could have just called the weapon a "Trench Gun" as single barrelled shotguns of that name were used during WW 1 which puts their existence and use at the perfect time for a few extras to be lying around for the investigators to pick up. And the artwork looks far more like a Trench Gun than a Blunderbuss. Also Trench Gun sounds cooler.

I'm baffled. It makes no thematic sense, no historical sense, no mechanical sense, artistic sense, and there were better options.

I have never seen the term "Blunderbuss" used as a euphemism for shotguns in general. or specific single barreled shotguns of the early 20th century. Am I missing something? Is this slang I was never introduced to? I want to be wrong here because every time I see this card in a game it just aggravates me and I love learning new things. But I think I'm right here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know very little about guns, and am not a native English speaker, so I can't comment on any facts, but my personal feeling is that "blunderbuss" is a word that better conveys the increased power at the expense of accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
I know very little about guns, and am not a native English speaker, so I can't comment on any facts, but my personal feeling is that "blunderbuss" is a word that better conveys the increased power at the expense of accuracy.

Sure the word sounds cool but it's a completely inaccurate term. Hilariously inaccurate even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blunderbuss appears as a weapon or name of a spell, etc in a number of videogames such as Red Dead Redemption, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy.

So I think the term crept into the nerd consciousness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
You are disintegrating.Into everything around.Reintegrating.The worm we dug from higher ground.You have let go of ego.Ego is no longer you.Closer to nirvana.Since the porter's whistle blew. With Us!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nerd rant?
This is more an NRA rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:
Blunderbuss appears as a weapon or name of a spell, etc in a number of videogames such as Red Dead Redemption, World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy.

So I think the term crept into the nerd consciousness

WoW and FF are fine because they are other worlds that can create their own rules on what things are called. And the tech of WoW kinda falls in line with a world where early flintlocks exist. And many early flintlocks were blunderbusses.

Red Dead Redemption takes place during a time period where it makes sense there would still be Blunderbusses lying around and being used.

Call of Duty really? Source?

The point is Eldrich Horror is supposed to take place in our world during the 1920s. And as such it's non fantastical elements follow the rules of that time period.

This is what makes its fantastical elements work. If everything was fantastical and off the wall ridiculous then then nothing would appear abnormal because everything would be seen as existing in some ridiculous alternate history. Without an establishment of reality the concept of the other is impossible to establish. And that's what Eldrich Horror is all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:

I meant in historical documents from the time period in question. We're talking about the history of military slang here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Blunderbuss

According to wikipedia also appears in Bloodborne, Bioshock Infinite, Saints Row IV, Assassins Creed IV

BTW, thumbing yourself is generally considered bad form
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say calling someone out publicly for thumbing themselves is both bad form and petty. If you were really trying to help, as your "BTW" suggests, you would have sent a personal message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gpritch3 wrote:
I'd say calling someone out publicly for thumbing themselves is both bad form and petty. If you were really trying to help, as your "BTW" suggests, you would have sent a personal message.

Pot meet the kettle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Blunderbuss works fine with me, I always assumed it was an old antique weapon maybe taken from a stately home (though good point if the image on the card shows a more modern piece). Perhaps totally inaccurate but it's very evocative. Never heard of a trench gun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pritchard
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:
Pot meet the kettle

Ha ha, I should have anticipated that response.

The thing is, Ess Why, if you are going to call someone out publicly, you forfeit the courtesy of being called on it privately.

I've said my piece. Apologies for the thread derailment, everyone. You

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esswhy wrote:
David Umstattd wrote:

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Blunderbuss

According to wikipedia also appears in Bloodborne, Bioshock Infinite, Saints Row IV, Assassins Creed IV

BTW, thumbing yourself is generally considered bad form

That's just literally a blunderbuss. Obviously an easter egg and joke weapon due to it's obvious anacranicity. And in Bloodborne and Assassins Creed IV those take place during time periods when those weapons were highly used. And Saints Row is Saints Row. Literally nothing in that series makes sense by design.

Again, you don't seem to understand. The blunderbuss was an actual historical weapon. So you saying "Yeah but this actual historical weapon is used in games that take place during the time period it was used so why are you complaining about it being used in an anachronistic time period?" makes absolutely no sense.

I think you're missing the whole point of my complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sthill46 wrote:
Blunderbuss works fine with me, I always assumed it was an old antique weapon maybe taken from a stately home (though good point if the image on the card shows a more modern piece). Perhaps totally inaccurate but it's very evocative. Never heard of a trench gun.

That would work if the game took place in 1880 or earlier. And the weapon potrayed in the art work is not a Blunderbuss. It doesn't have a lock, it's barrel is shaped wrong and it's whole design looks much more like a 12 gauge shotgun.

A trench gun is basically a 12 gauge shotgun that you can attach a bayonet to. At the time of WW1 shotguns weren't really in use at all but the americans used them to great effect in trench warefare due to the close quarters nature. There were actually a bunch of old weapons that saw use in WW1 like maces and stuff due to how trench warefar was far more melee focused than open field battles of the late 1800s.

In fact shotguns were so brutally efficient that there was actually a move by some nations to have them banned from use as a war crime but it didn't go anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Umstattd wrote:
A blunderbuss is a very specific type of flintlock weapon that went out of use in the middle of the 19th century.
Blunderbuss isn't a name of a very specific weapon, it is a name of a very specific type of weapon.
While that particular design type is obsolete, the idea behind it (large blast area) is not.
The name itself is generic enough to be reused for other "Thunderpipes". It is not the first time when an old name is used for a new thing that is a spiritual successor of the old thing. It's also not the first time someone pays homage to the good ol' blunderbuss. The "Looper"(2012) movie also prominently features guns with this name, and a completely different design then the one you're referring to.

David Umstattd wrote:
Single barreled shotguns as depicted in the art work of the card were never called Blunderbusses.
As the card shows, they were. In this particular universe.
While the Arkham Horror Files universe similar to ours, it has many "historical inaccuracies". Some are intended, other are not. If there was only one such "inaccuracy" I would also be aggravated as it would look like a mistake.
But as I've seen that there are many others, I feel that FFG simply doesn't strive for historical accuracy and I'm fine with it. The game's focus is the Mythos and that's where I'm looking for good accuracy. History similar to ours is just a background.

David Umstattd wrote:
It makes no thematic sense, no historical sense, no mechanical sense, artistic sense (...)
But it does make ergonomical sense.
The card could be named "Single-barreled Shotgun". But whenever you would want to ask your fellow to search the deck for a shotgun you would need to specify which one. The way it is implemented you can refer to just "shotgun" as there's only one.
FFG has a very long tradition of reusing art pieces. This is not the first time when a given illustration is only "close enough" to what it depicts.

David Umstattd wrote:
(...) and there were better options.
You got me curious. Could you name some? I too like to learn new things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.