Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a whinge about the typography of Conan in another thread, but after getting another update today, I'm horrified to see the same mistake is being made in Mythic Battles - poorly full justified text.

'Hermes .... can .... ignore .... movement ....'

Guys, please don't make this mistake again! This is not professional, easy to read typography, and the problem is so easy to fix!

I know I’m being picky here - please excuse me, graphic design is my profession - but it's frustrating to see basic typography errors in an otherwise very professional production.

Fully justified text is a particularly poor choice when you have translations to do, because you have to go through it carefully and adjust it for it to work properly, so you're increasing your work and your risk of errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Please do consider this request!

Even if you don't SEE the difference he is referring to here, know that there IS a difference many people see. It makes the product look sloppy and unprofessional.

This does NOT fit with the quality of the art, miniature sculpts, and kickstarter management that you clearly do excellently.

Note: Do you see the difference? If not, I urge you to have a dialog with Universal Head and find out what before/after looks like. It is worth your time. --from an excited and anxious backer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmb
Also:

- Letter U looks like L I (the typeset used for unit's titles). That should be an easy fix, too.

- The layout of the small boxes is fine, but the big boxes look ugly (not the art).

Also, a bit related:

The choice of words should be consistent across similar effects, should be greatly simplified. An example:

"The Necronomicon Troop can retaliate. The Necronomicon Troop can take a shower. The Necronomicon Troop cannot go shopping."

should read:

"This unit can retaliate and take a shower, but can't go shopping."

There are many cases like this where there is a wall of text spread through many paragraphs that really only require one sentence. Go read Hearthstone's card as an example of text simplification.

I recommend creating a category called "minions" for troops that can't be recruited normally and come free with another unit. That being in the rules simplifies copying many paragraphs across many units. That is called a keyword, and very useful in MTG and Hearthstone.

Edit:

Also, the gods and titans should have positive recruitment costs.

Typhon should have 4 instead of -4. That way, you will always have to worry about summing up to 12. The only exception should be Hera with -2. That way, gods and titans will be aligned with the methodology of monsters, heroes and troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The easy fix to is to enable hyphenation and define a good set of hyphenation rules that are build around the layout space and typical word length. (Don't just turn on hyphenation and take whatever the default settings are.)

That coupled with making sure different translations are handled as black plate changes only can go a really long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United States
Willmar
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I dunno, I would recommend fully justified without hyphenation. Hyphens are not professional either, at least not in the legal field of technical writing. I definitely would not even entertain not using full justification as it would then look like a 7th grader wrote it. I would say maybe play with the margins of each card until it looks the best you can get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Horrible. Looks amateurish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frch0603 wrote:
I dunno, I would recommend fully justified without hyphenation. Hyphens are not professional either, at least not in the legal field of technical writing. I definitely would not even entertain not using full justification as it would then look like a 7th grader wrote it. I would say maybe play with the margins of each card until it looks the best you can get.

With the greatest respect Chris, that's not how graphic designers approach type. But the bottom line is, full justified text needs a steady, experienced hand on the tiller, and shouldn't be left to the computer.

Ragged right justification is easier to read and there are far less opportunities for the kind of typographical ugliness I point out above.

In any case, whatever justification is used, hyphenation has to be carefully checked throughout and kept to an absolute minimum.

There are lots of factors involved. That's why there are professional graphic designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This complaint is justified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a *very* quick example of better type:

I realise in this case the first line of Celerity is a bit short in relation to the next, but it's still better than gappy text or an unnecessary hyphenation - and, I reckon, easier to read. And text just shouldn't be vertically centered in boxes.

Another thing I must point out is this fashion of putting type in capitals and making the first cap larger. Unless you have a special font set, this makes the first capital thicker than the rest of the word, which is another typographical no-no and ruins the integrity of the typeface. Even FFG do it and it drives me bonkers!

So I changed those titles (I don't have the exact font so this is a rough).

And another thing I see all the time is bad relationships between the leading (space between lines) and the space between paragraphs.

I could go on ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, much could be fine-tuned for a classic, ultra-professional appearance on the cards, and in the manuals.

Even the titles CELERITY and KERYKEION seem shifted too much to the left once added symbols begin to appear on the line (here, centering the text in the available space would help with balance and readability, providing some "air" on either side of the title).

Note: A designer I used to work with always turned hyphenation off. He hated it (his spelling was atrocious, but to his credit he knew that and we always checked his work). If that resulted in wildly erratic ragged lines, he would go back to the wordsmiths to have them revise the text to address the unwanted issue, while retaining the intent of the text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hausig
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The line break is what bothers me the most. It "movement restrictions" should be together. Unless it's mechanically relevant, the card could read "Hermes ignores" instead of "Hermes can ignore". The latter implies that the Hermes player must actively choose to ignore restrictions rather than simply always having the ability to use Hermes full movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, in an ideal world, rewrites should be done for the absolute best result. I'd far rather the 1 reading flow pause from this line break that the 3 in the original text, however.

It just emphasises again how you can't just 'set and forget' type in a page layout programme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I admit that this Dashboard needs to be improved. But please keep in mind this is not final stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
And text just shouldn't be vertically centered in boxes.

Why not? Is it easier to read when it's "top-left-centered?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please also consider the use of larger text when possible. If you can read this, good for you. I cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexbot wrote:
Why not? Is it easier to read when it's "top-left-centered?"

Because depending on the length of the text, it will shift around in the box. Not only is the variation in spacing inconsistent and unattractive, but it slows readability - the brain must very briefly 'hunt' for the start of the sentence each time, cutting down on readability. If the text is consistently in the same place in the top left hand corner, it's better looking and easier to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benoit0905 wrote:
I admit that this Dashboard needs to be improved. But please keep in mind this is not final stuff.

Glad you agree - just trying to help and improve things by sharing my professional experience in graphic design and typography.

Congratulations on such a successful campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it also look and read better to align the titles of the abilities with the ability text and move the icons to the right-hand side of the title bar?

Along the lines of:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United States
Willmar
Minnesota
flag msg tools
ezeqiel wrote:
Would it also look and read better to align the titles of the abilities with the ability text and move the icons to the right-hand side of the title bar?

Along the lines of:

That is definitely a good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ezeqiel wrote:

Along the lines of:

I like the way this looks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ezeqiel wrote:

Nicely done. And put the hand icons to the far right in the same position, with the other icons to the left of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ciaran M
United Kingdom
Co. Down
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
ezeqiel wrote:

Nicely done. And put the hand icons to the far right in the same position, with the other icons to the left of it.

Yeah, realised this after I added that image in - icons should scale in height as you move from left to right ideally, to improve the visual flow:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Sanchez
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ezeqiel wrote:
UniversalHead wrote:
ezeqiel wrote:

Yeah, realised this after I added that image in - icons should scale in height as you move from left to right ideally, to improve the visual flow:

You guys are beasts. How did you learn this stuff? Are there good how-to videos/articles? Do you only learn this in school, or is it innate skill?

Some combination?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+3.1416 to this for better typography/ layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Turonee wrote:
+3.1416 to this for better typography/ layout.

+1.618 !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.