4 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Question about a few board games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duo Maxwell
msg tools
new user
Im new to teh whole boar gaming scene (especially teh more advanced ones). So I've been looking at a few board games (both in kickstarter and readily availible) and theres something Ive been wondering. The games in question are:

Rise of the Kage
Lobotomy
Dark Souls
Massive Darkness

My question is regarding whether or not those games and their mechanics are different enough to be considering completely different games, or are they just pretty much the same games with different skin/palette swaps?

As they all look VERY similar to me, but maybe some of you who are more advanced and knowledgeable of their gameplay and mechanics would be able to point out that that isnt the case? Sure there are minor differences to each game even I can see that but are those differences big enough to warrant having all 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
I don't know the games in quesiton, but 3 of them aren't actually out yet, so you won't find many people who have actually played them.

Having said that, a quick read up on them makes me think that they'd probably have similar concepts and mechanisms, but would be slightly more than just palette swaps. However if, as you say, you're just starting out, you'd probably be better off getting a more diverse range of games.

i.e.: If you have a large collection and you know you're really into that type of game, then it might be worth having all 4. If you don't have many games, and you're still discovering where your tastes lie, then almost certainly not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
msg tools
new user
Well I know where my taste lie as Ive played Betrayal on house of the hill and loved it, and it too has the exploring, room building, fighting concept as the games listed. Im just wondering if the games are different enough to have (after all they wouldnt be free) or wouldnt they just be Palette Swaps of Betrayal on House of the hill. Which in that case would be pointless and Id just may as well stick to that game instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The only one of these I'm familiar with is Massive Darkness because I backed it on Kickstarter. Unlike Betrayal at House on the Hill it is fully co-operative, there is no "haunt" where one player turns on the others. There is also less of an "exploration" element, since the map is completely set at the start of the game, however there are surprises in the form of monster spawns. Massive Darkness is really a dungeon crawl, meaning that the focus of the game is on tactical combat. The rules for combat are much more nuanced than in Betrayal. Each character is also more mechanically distinct than characters in Betrayal are, but they are primarily distinguished on the basis of combat abilities. Also, characters became progressively more powerful and distinct from each other as they gain "experience" and new weapons throughout the course of the game. It's something like an RPG videogame or tabletop RPG, except without the, umm... roleplaying elements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.