The Manhattan Project» Forums » Rules

Subject: Silly setup question about workers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Heller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I hate to ask this, as I just can't find a video or thread about something very simple and worker placement games are new genre for me.

When setting up the game, it says to put 4 engineers and 4 scientists of that players color into the "General Supply" and then 4 laborers into that players supply.

Under "Player Turns" its says "... if you have no Workers in your personal supply to place, you must choose to Retrieve Workers"

So, I start the game with only 4 laborers, and ONLY from those laborers can I create/make scientist and engineers (and contractors) for that turn? Why are they in the "General Supply" if only I can use them? "permanent workers" are all 12 of my color, yet after a retrieval the engineers/scientists go back to the general pool.

I'm just trying to get an understanding of the first step. Then if I retrieved all workers, I should ONLY have 4 laborers in front of me, the other colored workers are in the "general" pool.

One last thing about placing workers..
Both Step1 and Step2 are "optional" but I must place at least one worker during my turn. if both are optional (that's an AND logic construct, btw) then how would I place a worker? Or is this implying: (S1 AND S2 (in that order)) OR (S1 OR S2), i.e. I have to use one of the steps no matter what for placement (but order is important, S1 first if I'm touching the main board)

Like I said, this is a bit challenging for someone w/o a worker placement background.

I play chain reaction often, and have had MP for a while now and have just found the time to really get into it.

The rules are rather detailed on the mechanics and have good examples, but w/o having played CR I would not have gotten the concept of how to properly construct bombs. For example: In order to build bombs, you need fuel and workers, in order to get fuel and workers you need to construct factories, which means you need money, etc.. As sad as this sounds, a one page intro for startup and education would've been good. "Sally starts off with the following: ... in order for her country to compete she will need to produce buildings and money so she starts her first move like this..."
Instead of being tossed right into rule specific and mechanics w/o understanding the big picture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your scientists and engineers return to your player supply once they've come to your supply, not the general supply.

You must place at least one worker on a placement turn, you may choose to not play to the main board and play only to your buildings, you may choose (or be forced) to play to the main board and not your buildings (you don't have any, they're all damaged, or still occupied - for example). If you choose neither you aren't actually placing, and therefore gain some advantage by "passing" your turn, and that isn't allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
kheller2 wrote:
So, I start the game with only 4 laborers, and ONLY from those laborers can I create/make scientist and engineers (and contractors) for that turn?

No.

Only Contractors return to the supply. Any Scientist or Engineers in your player color you acquired in previous turns are returned to your playing area; you never return any workers in your color to the general supply.

Quote:
Then if I retrieved all workers, I should ONLY have 4 laborers in front of me, the other colored workers are in the "general" pool.

No. You would have 4 laborers and any workers in your color you acquired using Universities in previous turns.

Quote:
(S1 OR S2)

You must do;
Place at least one worker on the Main board
OR Place at least one worker on your national board
OR Place at least one worker on the Main board and your national board
OR retrieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 4 laborers in your player color go into your personal supply. The 4 engineers and scientists in your color go into the general supply. Only workers in your personal supply are available to be used on your turn. When you place one of your workers on a university you earn the depicted worker from the general supply: either in your player color or the grey contractor if available. These workers, when earned, go into your personal supply.

When you retrieve you retrieve ALL WORKERS in your player color from wherever they have been PLACED (either on the main board, on your buildings or on any other player's buildings via espionage). So, once you've earned a scientist or an engineer of your player color into your personal supply you'll be able to place them and when you retrieve on some subsequent turn they will be returned to your personal supply as would any worker in your color.

When placing workers order is important (board first if you are going to use it) and you must place at least one worker whether on the board, on your buildings or both. While each option isn't mandatory choosing at least one or the other is. You can't "do nothing" on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the clarification, it is appreciated. I don't recall seeing this explained in the rules so this makes a lot more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of clarifications (maybe for me as well)

On your turn I believe you can place at most one worker on the main board (with the one exception of placing two to build bombs).

You may use espionage to place workers on other player's boards.

The main difference between this and most other worker placement games is that on a single turn you can place as many workers as you like on your own boards (and on other's as well if using espionage). This makes for some great combos as you build your engine. This difference wasn't obvious to me at first until I started playing.

Please, correct me anyone if I've misstated anything. It's been a while since I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I believe this to be correct. The only other WPG I've played is Snowdonia. I'm usually tied up in Pandemic Legacy or any number of FlashPoint Fire Rescue expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
riddell wrote:
...on a single turn you can place as many workers as you like on your own boards (and on other's as well if using espionage).

Just to clarify this for others, if (and only if) you've placed a worker on the Espionage space on part 1 of your turn, then on part 2 of your turn you can also place workers on opponent buildings. The number of opponent buildings you can activate when using Espionage is limited to your Espionage level. (The number of workers you can place on opponent buildings is not limited).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kheller2 wrote:
I believe this to be correct. The only other WPG I've played is Snowdonia. I'm usually tied up in Pandemic Legacy or any number of FlashPoint Fire Rescue expansions.

You'll probably like our game Dead Men Tell No Tales then

I'm not sure where the confusion is exactly but maybe you're tripping up on the use of the "General Supply"... that is simply a place for all un-owned bits to go. Once you earn a worker of your own color, it will never go back to the General Supply. But you have to earn them (University) out of the General Supply before you may ever use them.

So yeah, you start with 4 workers till you make more and then you keep getting those back every time you retrieve. But once you have all 12 (or at least 4 of a type) you start making contractors (gray temp workers) and they DO go back to the General Supply when you retrieve.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heller
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I can ONLY make contractors after having all 12 of my one full time workers? I thought you could pick contractors and your own kind. Why you would do that is beyond me, other than maybe some early espinoage turn delay you want to stick someone with.

I'm not sure where the confusion came from, just the way the mind works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kheller2 wrote:
I can ONLY make contractors after having all 12 of my one full time workers? I thought you could pick contractors and your own kind. Why you would do that is beyond me, other than maybe some early espinoage turn delay you want to stick someone with.

No... when you're run out of scientists you can get a gray one, etc. I was just being overly general.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you produce a worker, you can always choose a contractor version if you wish. But you're right, it will almost never be a better choice over taking your own permanent worker.

You mentioned using it for Espionage. Another possible reason would be to prevent another player from getting a contractor by taking it out of the supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.