Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played some 2 player, but I'm looking to play some one player. I've had a bit of a look through and Skids is insane.

- Access to guardian gives him the best level 1 weapons. Access to rogue gives him De Luca (4 turns) and resource pumps.
- He's star effect from the chaos bag seems the most beneficial
- He's special card is a one turn immunity against monsters comes in a lot of handy in the campaign
- He's personal weakness is the most ignoble (You don't have to but its something you don't need to deal with immediately or inhibit your progression

Weaknesses? He's not got the same level of clue acquisition as other people. But with 2 flashlights and some int buff cards, investigations are manageable.

Honestly, just the Del Luca and level 1 guardian weapons makes him the king for me. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
With only 2 Willpower he's the most susceptible to damage from treachery cards, especially Rotting Remains (take horror), Frozen in Fear (lose actions) and Crypt Chill (lose assets in play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Trang
United States
California
flag msg tools
I wonder will Jenny Barnes blow him out of the water when Dunwhich comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought is that you shouldn't be judging without having any experience in solo whatsoever. Why don't you try all five investigators and then see what you think?

Leo isn't as huge as he may seem, and you can't rely on drawing him either. Just about everyone can take solid weapons, though Wendy's not very good in that department. Shriveling is just as good as a .45 in my mind. Of course, you can Evade too if you don't have a weapon. Resource pumps... You don't necessarily need a ton of cash and there's something to be said for running lean and mean and all those actions you save by doing so give you more time and less encounter cards. In the beginning I was gearing up my investigator but I found with experience in solo that I had a better success rate playing only minimal assets and really pushing efficiently against the clock.

Personal cards come out some games, some games not. I don't count them too heavily in evaluation. Same with the Elder Sign effect, it's not reliable enough to make a big swing in the game or count on it.

Low willpower is definitely an issue for Skids, you'll be hurt by more encounter cards than most, plus he's a poor clue finder. If Skids gets stuck having trouble finding the clues he needs to advance that's bad news because the more time he takes searching the more encounter cards with willpower checks he's going to face and he's bad at those. It's all related.

Of course, everyone else has their strengths and weaknesses too - I'm not saying Skids is bad. But in solo you've got to be a lot more aware of your strengths and weaknesses and make some attempt to round yourself out which isn't as necessary when you can get help from another investigator.

Everyone will have their own playstyle and what works for them, but personally I feel most confident in solo with Agnes, then Skids in 2nd place. Roland and Daisy are my 2nd tier, then Wendy. Outside of one 2-player, all my games have been solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen

Smyrna
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that's a correct assessment Danny.

Some one has to be the best and I don't think you are too far fetched to say Skids is the best.

Extra actions allow you to make up for inefficient clue finding (even if you takes you an extra two heck even three turns) for the occasional clue Skids is able to absorb it the easiest.

100% correct on his weakness. You can lose a game because of "Dark Memory" - Agnes weakness even if you choose to keep it in hand. Not so with Skids.

I agree with your assessment. However,that does not prevent me from playing the others. They still have play style differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
notyetsuperman wrote:
I believe that's a correct assessment Danny.

Some one has to be the best and I don't think you are too far fetched to say Skids is the best.

Extra actions allow you to make up for inefficient clue finding (even if you takes you an extra two heck even three turns) for the occasional clue Skids is able to absorb it the easiest.

100% correct on his weakness. You can lose a game because of "Dark Memory" - Agnes weakness even if you choose to keep it in hand. Not so with Skids.

I agree with your assessment. However,that does not prevent me from playing the others. They still have play style differences.

Do tell, why does someone have to be the best?

And how is it even judged? Playing 1 mission not campaign? Skids will never have a Shot Gun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I've posted somewhere a list of instigators raging from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Skids was on my first place too. Ugly one was Daisy, although if you check the artwork it's in reverse actually. XD

But, yeah, many ppl are getting to the same conclusions. Some investigators are better then others depending of number of players used, this is usually more prominent in solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
I've posted somewhere a list of instigators raging from the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Skids was on my first place too. Ugly one was Daisy, although if you check the artwork it's in reverse actually. XD

But, yeah, many ppl are getting to the same conclusions. Some investigators are better then others depending of number of players used, this is usually more prominent in solo play.

Skids is good. But I still have to give it to Wendy especially when she has her Amulet (Mulligan to get it if need be). And when she has her bottle of Gin (Hard Knocks) you have a drunken, ten year old beast of an investigator.

Effectively, no test is impossible to her and she gets to draw twice from the bag which is even better. Add in that Sneak Attack and Backstab uniquely suit her and Wendy is a pint sized terror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
And my ranking for solo is so far

1. Agnes
2. Wendy
3. Roland or Skids
4. Daisy

For 2-4 players

1. Daisy
2. Roland
3. Wendy
4. Agnes or Skids

Skids might go higher once i make a clean agility build without weapons and leo de luca. Since those cards actually seem to be my weak spot when playing him. Im thinking about running the damage events together with the guard dog to easily blaze through the hard enemies and avoid any non necessary enemies. Upgrading with cat burglar as first thing.

But in general i think everyone will think differently and i dont want to claim someone is better than someone else, i just know who im good with at the moment, and who i can easily make work. In my opinion Skids has the best Elder Sign Token effect. But the worst personal ability (perhaps together with Rolands)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee miller
msg tools
mb
I've played with him 3 times and was eliminated all 3 times. Then again, I'm still new at this, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Willpower and little way to up his willpower is a real issue. I always include 2x Physical Training for him for this reason because he also has no way to Scry the encounter deck to try and avoid those willpower based treacheries (or cancel them).

Given all that I think Skids is amazing when paired with either Agnes or Daisy to try and counter his weaknesses.

They all have some big weakness, which is a good thing IMO.

I do think Skids is better than Roland. Roland is better at investigation, but he has trouble both with Willpower and Evade checks which is almost every Treachery and with only 5 sanity he's real fragile. Skids is a bit more resilient. Also Skids has access to Sure Gamble, which is an amazing card.

I think Jenny will give him a run for his money though when she comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.