10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: RPG-in-a-box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reuben Cheung
msg tools
Hello everyone!

My cousins and siblings were all interested in getting into Dungeons and Dragons at some point, but the problem is that it is difficult to get us all together in one place very often to do any long RPG sessions, and unfortunately I fear the interest has died down over time. I started looking for these so called RPG-in-a-box games that can get players into a campaign right away without taking too much time explaining rules and mechanics.

Through my research, I looked into Descent and Star Wars: Imperial Assault, and while I think that either of these games will fit the bill nicely, I am wary that a campaign may take too long. Since we don't get to meet up that often, it might be too hard to finish a campaign, and the down time between sessions would kill the interest even more.

So I would like to ask you all if there are any other alternative RPGs out there that we can easily start playing out of the box, and maybe not take so long to finish a campaign.

...Or do you think that Descent or Imperial Assault will be just fine for us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either is fine....also look into Arcadia quest or myth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:

To get the feel of progression and character advancement any game mentioned thus far is fine. To be clear though, none of them come any where close to what an RPG accomplishes from a Role-play story telling perspective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Cheung
msg tools
casualgod wrote:
mhutton wrote:

To get the feel of progression and character advancement any game mentioned thus far is fine. To be clear though, none of them come any where close to what an RPG accomplishes from a Role-play story telling perspective.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, and yes I quite agree with what you said about the RPG experience.

I suppose I could tell you a bit more about my story. As I said before, my extended family were at one point ready to dive into D&D. I bought the 5e Starter Set, bought a few dice sets, and we all met up and set apart half a day to start a campaign. Instead of using the provided premade characters, everyone wanted to create their own. That's fine, I thought; why say no to letting them do that? Since it was everyone's first time, I thought it would be easier just to walk the process through with everyone together at once. In hindsight, that was probably a mistake.

Creating everyone's characters took much longer than we expected. (Partly due to the fact that someone chose to be a wizard and we spent a while figuring out how the spellbook works) By then, it seemed like everyone was a bit intimidated and the energy was gone. They all decided to leave the actual campaign for another day, and we just played Spyfall for the rest of the night. We've never met up again like that since.

I suppose I'm looking for a box game like the ones you suggested in an attempt to reignite that first passion for an RPG experience everyone had before that day we tried D&D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohd Nur Adli Haji Abd Ghani
Brunei
Bandar Seri Begawan
Brunei-Muara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel if you don't mind the theme, Shadows of Brimstone is what I considered RPG-lite that oozes theme and fluff akin to an actual RPG. It is Wild West Horror theme, but there is one Core set based on Feudal Japan, but that one is set for release in 2018.
Also, there is a D&D board game that people say is quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games you mentioned are not RPGs. From what I am able to ascertain about them, they give you the combat bit of the game with some story, but you can't really role-play.

I would also suggest you look into RPGs with simple rules. The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen or Everyone is John. These games involve no prep whatsoever and once you know the rules you can just go. They both only last about an hour a piece to play a game.

There is also Dread and Fiasco, which involve more prep, but these don't turn into campaigns, but are more like fancy one shots which last hours. Both of these were played on Tabletop.

Then again those involve more of the roleplaying and no combat really. If you want the combat only then you could go with something like Descent or Star Wars Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Reubs1 wrote:
Hello everyone!

My cousins and siblings were all interested in getting into Dungeons and Dragons at some point, but the problem is that it is difficult to get us all together in one place very often to do any long RPG sessions, and unfortunately I fear the interest has died down over time. I started looking for these so called RPG-in-a-box games that can get players into a campaign right away without taking too much time explaining rules and mechanics.

Through my research, I looked into Descent and Star Wars: Imperial Assault, and while I think that either of these games will fit the bill nicely, I am wary that a campaign may take too long. Since we don't get to meet up that often, it might be too hard to finish a campaign, and the down time between sessions would kill the interest even more.

So I would like to ask you all if there are any other alternative RPGs out there that we can easily start playing out of the box, and maybe not take so long to finish a campaign.

they both will require you to spend a lot of time explaining rules and mechanics, as they are tactical skirmish games more than anything else.

D&D Temple of Elemental Evil board game has a campaign and is easy to learn, although it is light on the 'role playing' aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
South London
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
bitterpolitics.weebly.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Big second for Fiasco (plus nobody has to GM in that game). It has a tongue in cheek dungeons and dragons type playset, too.

I guess everyone else covered everything, but it's a shame nobody wanted to carry on with the characters they spent all that time making!

I've never really found any board game captures the same feel as a well run RPG. Descent is very close to the feel of the more miniatures based combat run campaigns, if they're your bag.

My personal advice would be to try again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reubs1 wrote:
The problem with both games is that their gameplay is kind of the opposite of an RPG:

It's a highly competitive game, with the Keeper player trying to defeat the hero players (and vice-versa).

In an RPG 'Keepers' have the role of a neutral referee, they're not trying to 'win' (and if they do, everyone loses!). Their goal is to create an enjoyable game for everyone involved. This results in a completely different game experience.

Thus, I'd recommend to look for a fully co-operative board game instead. These games give a much better idea what playing an RPG is like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For an actual RPG, look into Dragon Warriors (Revised Edition). The rules are very streamlined (so it will be fine even if people want to create their own characters). And the published scenarios will play straight out of the book without an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.