Subject: Can you create "holes" in the field and other questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Can't remember or find the answers.
Just played this again in a while, and, boy, I'm confused.

If someone places near Shekthur at the beginning of the game, for example, can she be moved to an adjacent space if it leaves the previous tile only diagonally adjacent to her?
Example:
XA
S

Shekthur would move to:
XA
-S
X

Also, about the Monk and the Fairy and the Viking.

The way I understood it, Viking works any time as many times as you want, whether you place Viking or a tile is placed adjacent to Viking.

However, the wording for Monk and Fairy is strange.
It seemed to me like when YOU play Monk or Fairy, their abilities don't trigger. However, when tiles are placed adjacent to them (and they're already on the field), now their ability works.

But in another topic, Joshua seems to say this isn't the case.

So Monk only works when you PLACE him, and ONLY ONCE? So on subsequent turns when tiles are placed adjacent to Monk, it doesn't work anymore?

What about Fairy? Is it the same? Only once when you place her?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Holes" can never be created during gameplay. All tiles must always be connected to another tile.

You are correct about Monk and Fairy, as I stated in a previous thread:
"Fairy and Monk's effects both happen when an opponent's tile compares numbers against them. In Fairy's case, the opponent's numbers will be reduced by 2 during comparing. If their numbers are not high enough to flip Fairy during this, they will not flip her. Similarly with Monk, when the opponent's tiles compares numbers against him, Monk's numbers will increase by 2 during this step only."

Viking is the opposite of these two, when Viking is played and he compares numbers with another tile, that tiles numbers are decreased by 1 during that compare only.

The rules explain these abilities more in depth, though I suppose an example alongside them wouldn't have hurt. I'm happy to say tiles in Sellswords: Olympus have more space for text, so I will try and make sure everything is worded as clearly as possible!

Apologies for the confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only answer the first question: I remember placement / effect rules indicating that you cannot leave a hole (orthogonally) that would separate all tiles into 2+ groups.

Put another way is that all tiles after placement and/or effects must be connected vertically or horizontally to all other tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The cards say their abilities are continuous. But that is a mistake and they are "optional", correct?

If that is the case, it means "optional" abilities are ALWAYS ONLY usable when placing the tile down? When a tile is placed adjacent to another one that's already down, the tile's text that's already on the field NEVER TRIGGERS if it's optional?

Is that the correct way to interpret it?

Because you can still compare AGAINST Monk and Fairy even when they're on the field, if you place adjacent to them.

Ithry wrote:
"Holes" can never be created during gameplay. All tiles must always be connected to another tile.

You are correct about Monk and Fairy, as I stated in a previous thread:
"Fairy and Monk's effects both happen when an opponent's tile compares numbers against them. In Fairy's case, the opponent's numbers will be reduced by 2 during comparing. If their numbers are not high enough to flip Fairy during this, they will not flip her. Similarly with Monk, when the opponent's tiles compares numbers against him, Monk's numbers will increase by 2 during this step only."

Viking is the opposite of these two, when Viking is played and he compares numbers with another tile, that tiles numbers are decreased by 1 during that compare only.

The rules explain these abilities more in depth, though I suppose an example alongside them wouldn't have hurt. I'm happy to say tiles in Sellswords: Olympus have more space for text, so I will try and make sure everything is worded as clearly as possible!

Apologies for the confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Laningham
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monk and Fairy are Continuous abilities because they always trigger when another tile compares numbers to them. They have no effect when you play them.

You are correct in saying that Optional abilities only trigger when a tile is played. Same goes for Mandatory abilities. The only abilities that trigger once they are in play are Continuous and End of Turn abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Wait, what?

You first said I was right in my opening post. I had said.

So Monk only works when you PLACE him, and ONLY ONCE? So on subsequent turns when tiles are placed adjacent to Monk, it doesn't work anymore?

But that was wrong.

Then you said
Quote:
Monk and Fairy are Continuous abilities because they always trigger when another tile compares numbers to them.

Always trigger.

But then you say
Quote:
They have no effect when you play them.

What?

Do they always trigger or do they not?

EDIT: I think you're making a difference between "play" and "compare". When you play them, nothing happens; when you compare with them (right after playing them), their abilities trigger.

I get it.
Play Monk or Fairy --> Their abilities trigger during compare.
Opponent plays tile adjacent to Monk or Fairy --> Their abilities still trigger during compare.

Ithry wrote:
Monk and Fairy are Continuous abilities because they always trigger when another tile compares numbers to them. They have no effect when you play them.

You are correct in saying that Optional abilities only trigger when a tile is played. Same goes for Mandatory abilities. The only abilities that trigger once they are in play are Continuous and End of Turn abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.