Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Thrall
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
new user
Hey guys,

I love this game, but I don't really think many of my friends do. The game seems to take over an hour every time, usually 1.5 hours. That's fine with me, but they seem to be fans of short, simple games (plus having to explain the more complicated characters doesn't help).

How long do your games usually go? I have RDI1, RDI3, RDI5, Wrench, Zariah, Halden, and Keet & Nitrel.

Should I restrict them to playing the simple characters (ie. not Wrench)? I'm really at a loss here. I usually have my turns planned out in advance, but I'm not sure they're the type that put a lot of thought into games (hence being fans of shorter games like Guillotine, Exploding Kittens, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game time seems to vary greatly depending on how aggressive players are. If they aren't attacking each other or gambling, it becomes an exercise of waiting until someone gets knocked out by their drink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking out the more complicated characters can help. Play with RDI, RDI2, and RDI4 until your group is more used to stuff before you play with anything else.

Also, Deidre and Dimli[sic?] really slow the game down due to being very defensive in nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players are playing?

6 or less should play in under an hour as long as people aren't being passive.

Some players don't like to eliminate anyone unless they have to. So they spread attacks out and spare the players who are close to losing.
And if you do this. The game length can easily double.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Thrall
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
new user
Usually 4-6 players. I tried an 11 player game with mostly newbies and that took a while, as you can imagine.

I tend to play passively. I know you shouldn't, but there really isn't anything you can do when people are ganging up on you and that can frustrate new players.

Also, since gambling was mentioned; do people enjoy it? It's usually met with groans whenever it starts. I'm aware of the GII expansion, but it just seems like playing with that would make RDI games even longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jktstance wrote:
Usually 4-6 players. I tried an 11 player game with mostly newbies and that took a while, as you can imagine.

I tend to play passively. I know you shouldn't, but there really isn't anything you can do when people are ganging up on you and that can frustrate new players.

Also, since gambling was mentioned; do people enjoy it? It's usually met with groans whenever it starts. I'm aware of the GII expansion, but it just seems like playing with that would make RDI games even longer.

This game definitely requires that your player base be aggressive. Otherwise, you are right, it can stretch on for hours while people "hide in their corners."

GII is an interesting addition, I personally don't like it with RDI, but have used the mechanics in RPG's. You are right, it would definitely make games longer, and I think it makes RDI too complicated.

There's just something refreshing about the simplicity and purity of a run of RDI with just the first two boxes (RDI 1 and RDI 2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like RDI may not be ideal for your group.
Gambling is a huge part of the game, expecially with gambling characters.

Being agressive is the point of it.
I am not saying, everyone gang up and beat down one player, but if everyone is sharing the "love". Even if someone is eliminated, the game should not last too long as the remaining players duke it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played last week with 5 players, RDI1, 2, 3, and 5. I think our characters were Fiona, Drunken Master, the inventor girl (Wizgille?), Zot, and the girl with the bag of random stuff.
2 players were somewhat new to the game, had played it but it had been a while.
The game did seem to take a little longer than we wanted - but 3 players were all knocked out in the same round, which was hilarious, then the remaining two battled it out for about 5-10 more minutes.
I would definitely suggest playing with the simpler characters with a large group, unless they are all pretty fluent in RDI. The three 'advanced' characters we were playing with did seem to slow it down (admittedly, it was the players' lack of familiarity with them.)
With 3-6 people it shouldn't take much more than 1-1.5 hours unless everyone is brand new.
That said, its definitely much more complex than Exploding Kittens or the like.
I'm not a huge fan of the gambling but I don't mind it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
jktstance wrote:

11 players? I just died a little inside.

I won't play with more than 4, but our games are generally under 30 minutes. Each additional player not only adds a large amount of extra play time, but also adds in more confusion/double checking, 'Oh, I didn't realize it was my turn, what's happened in the game', kind of issues.

As for gambling, our group also tends to not do it a lot. Which gets into a feed back loop, where strong gamblers don't start enough rounds, so the the non-gamblers keep their strongest gambling cards (Winning hand, or the wench thought it was her tip), and because they always have them, the stronger gambling players don't start enough rounds, so it basically never happens unless someone is already hurting on gold, or is the only action in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At least in the case of Fleck, he can still start a round of gambling, even if the wench ends up getting the money. Fleck doesn't need to worry about going broke, so draining everyone's gold supply is still useful, so that the players can be eliminated through gold. I'm not sure if this is true for the other gamblers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point of gambling is to get money out of the game faster and to get the tanks out of the game as a result.. Gog can't cause large amounts of damage if you run him out of money and it doesn't matter how much health Deidre has if she's broke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Svengaard wrote:
The point of gambling is to get money out of the game faster and to get the tanks out of the game as a result.. Gog can't cause large amounts of damage if you run him out of money and it doesn't matter how much health Deidre has if she's broke.
This is what I was trying to get at. Sometimes it's good to start a round of gambling even if you don't think you'll win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.